Thanks a lot, Baby Boomers

So baby boomers....

(1) Go to college dirt cheap, then jack up the price about 700% by the time I attended, (2) traded the idea of sane responsible banking for a "live for the moment" get rich quick profit scheme that crashed our global economy in 2006-2008, and (3) have drilled a giant divide in Washington D.C. by encouraging and perpetuating a nasty culture of political extremism.

Am I just being cynical, or does the "baby boom" generation have some explaining to do?

Sort of a half serious post, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

You're a fucking retard, you really are... hopefully you didn't waste too much of mommy and daddy's money on college.

I pay $350 a month in student loans (private + federal) you moron, so you can save your insult with that regard.

But at least I've got a nice job to show for it; a lot of people my age weren't so lucky.

Then what are you fucking griping about? You borrowed the money, so pay it back and stop griping.

Geeze Louise you libs chap my ass.. always bitching about being expected to honor your obligations.

You're a fucking retard, you really are... hopefully you didn't waste too much of mommy and daddy's money on college.

I pay $350 a month in student loans (private + federal) you moron, so you can save your insult with that regard.

But at least I've got a nice job to show for it; a lot of people my age weren't so lucky.

Then what are you fucking griping about? You borrowed the money, so pay it back and stop griping.

Geeze Louise you libs chap my ass.. always bitching about being expected to honor your obligations.

No, Soggy, you seem to miss the point.

I plan to pay every dollar back. I've not once stated that I'm upset that I have to pay my lenders for the money I've borrowed....

I was simply correcting you on your assumption that "mommy and daddy" paid my way through college. I highlighted your original quote in blue so that it would be a little bit easier for you to understand.

Doof. Use your head, and don't make baseless assumptions.

Last edited:
So baby boomers....

(1) Go to college dirt cheap, then jack up the price about 700% by the time I attended, (2) traded the idea of sane responsible banking for a "live for the moment" get rich quick profit scheme that crashed our global economy in 2006-2008, and (3) have drilled a giant divide in Washington D.C. by encouraging and perpetuating a nasty culture of political extremism.

Am I just being cynical, or does the "baby boom" generation have some explaining to do?

You must be an obama voter. No point in bitching and moaning about what someone else has done before. That won't abrogate the need and responsibility to make right choices here and now.

I plan to pay every dollar back; I've not once stated that I'm upset that I have to pay back the money I've borrowed. So please do me a favor and stop making up things and pulling shit out of your ass.

I was simply correcting you on your assumption that "mommy and daddy" paid my way through college. I highlighted your original quote in blue so that it would be a little bit easier for you to understand.

doof.

Ok, so you borrowed money, you are now paying it back and you have a good job... great.

I'm a baby boomer, how the hell do you figure I'm the source of your issues? I had student loans too... what of it?

What are you complaining about? College costs money? Sure it does... point?

You're an IDIOT if you believe SS will certainly end. Change the channel, fear mongered Pub dupe. Jeebus.

Does everyone need social security though? I mean, I'd much rather hold onto the money that I'm paying into the program now - out of each paycheck - and instead throw it into investments of my choice.
Yeah....there were a lot-of-us who bought that bill-o'-goods, in the '90s, as well.

If you can afford to sit-around, all-day-long, and watch your money...fine. As-soon-as all that activity is outta-your-sight, you've vulnerable-as-Hell.​

So baby boomers....

you are cynical and a spoiled rotten brat. go attend a OWS protest or something, you'll fit right in. and spit a few old people while you're at it.

Last edited:

I plan to pay every dollar back; I've not once stated that I'm upset that I have to pay back the money I've borrowed. So please do me a favor and stop making up things and pulling shit out of your ass.

doof.

Ok, so you borrowed money, you are now paying it back and you have a good job... great.

I'm a baby boomer, how the hell do you figure I'm the source of your issues? I had student loans too... what of it?

What are you complaining about? College costs money? Sure it does... point?

My post was about three things:

1.) Cost of college rising by about a factor of 7 (adjusted for inflation) over the course of the past 40 years. How much was tuition when you attended by the way, Soggy?
2.) Banking/Finance collapse - banks/lending institutions run by Boomers.
3.) Polarized, nasty Washington D.C. - run by Boomers.

I'm not saying that every baby boomer is bad, or that the baby boomers didn't do some great things for this country. I'm just saying that under their watch, some of our finest and most important societal institutions - education, responsible finance/banking, and government - have taken turns for the worse.

That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
So baby boomers....

You must be an obama voter. No point in bitching and moaning about what someone else has done before. That won't abrogate the need and responsibility to make right choices here and now.

Funny, because I was not an Obama voter.

So baby boomers....

you are cynical and a spoiled rotten brat. go attend a OWS protest or something, you'll fit right in. and spit a few old people while you're at it.

Cynical - maybe. Spoiled rotten brat, well how'd you arrive at that exactly? What exactly have I been spoiled with?

I dislike OWS.

I have nothing against "old" people, I'm just bringing up the point that I feel like the boomers have let my generation down in some regards - especially when it comes to the political environment. What's wrong with saying that and pointing it out? Are you happy with Washington D.C.?

Last edited:
The "X"ers haven't stopped whining since they left high school.
That was a Generation that saw perpetual-downsizing (while the U.S. economy was shifting; from manufacturing to high-tech), all thru their Lives....usually, at home, a lot, too. Ya' can't watch your parents go thru that, and not be affected.​

Do you think every child who makes it to American shores should be guaranteed a college education?

Is the percentage of people in college more or less than it was in the 50's? Is it more or less than in Europe?

In both cases, dramatically more. We have this idea that every child should go to Yale. The problem is, that isn't realistic. Our capacity is fine, our expectations are not. Sorry Mrs. Smith, Little Fakey Jake with an 890 total SAT and that 2.1 high school GPA isn't University material.

Uncensored, it’s been my view for a long time that this idea that everyone in America needs to attend a 4 year University is a highly flawed one. HIGHLY flawed.

We need to let the young generation know that there’s nothing wrong or shameful about learning to work with your hands, or learning a trade, or a skill via an apprenticeship.

Want to pay teachers more? Then get businesses and specific industries more involved in the educational process; they’ll pay big bugs to train up a highly specialized workforce.

Also, I think that college really should be a bit more flexible, offering a wider range of 1-3 year educational options.

There are ways to control debt. My youngest is now 25, IF I had kids that were entering college today, unless they had full-ride scholarships to one of the top tier schools, I'd strongly advise them to go to our community college entering the honors program. If completed with a 3.75 cum GPA, they get full-ride to U of I to complete BA/BS. From there they can choose where they want to go for grad school if that is their choice.

Then there are two year programs that can land students well paid jobs, in the areas of their interests, an example from my local community college:

Programs, Certificates & Degrees

Career and Technical Education Programs
Students who earn an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree or certificate have completed programs of study in specific occupational-technical fields.
Accounting
Advertising, Design and Illustration (Graphic Design)
Air Conditioning
Architecture
Automotive Service Technology
Baking and Pastry Arts
Certified Nursing Assistant
Computer Information Systems
Computer Internetworking Technologies
Construction Management
Cosmetology
Criminal Justice
Culinary Arts
Dental Hygiene
Diagnostic Medical Imaging:
Computed Tomography (CT)
Mammography
Nuclear Medicine
Radiography
Advanced Sonography (DMIS) Certificate
Vascular Sonography (DMIV) Certificate
Associate Sonography Degree
Early Childhood Education and Care
Electro-Mechanical Technology
Electronics Technology
Emergency Medical Technician
Facility Management
Fashion Merchandising and Design
Fire Science
Graphic Arts Technology
Graphic Design
Health Information Technology
Health Sciences
Horticulture
Hospitality Management
Human Services
Interior Design
Library and Information Technology
Long-Term Care Administration
Management
Manufacturing Technology
Marketing
Medical Assistant
Motion Picture/Television
Non-Invasive EKG
Nursing Department
Nursing Program Home Page
Associate Degree Nursing (ADN)
Advanced Placement into the ADN program
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
Practical Nursing Program
Office Technology Information
Paralegal Studies
Paramedic
Phlebotomy/EKG
Photography
Physical Therapist Assistant
Physician Office Coding and Billing
Radiation Therapy
Real Estate
Respiratory Care
Restaurant Management
Speech Language Pathology Assistant
Surgical Technology
Therapeutic Massage
Travel, Tourism and Event Planning
Welding

Do you think every child who makes it to American shores should be guaranteed a college education?

Is the percentage of people in college more or less than it was in the 50's? Is it more or less than in Europe?

In both cases, dramatically more. We have this idea that every child should go to Yale. The problem is, that isn't realistic. Our capacity is fine, our expectations are not. Sorry Mrs. Smith, Little Fakey Jake with an 890 total SAT and that 2.1 high school GPA isn't University material.

Uncensored, it’s been my view for a long time that this idea that everyone in America needs to attend a 4 year University is a highly flawed one. HIGHLY flawed.

We need to let the young generation know that there’s nothing wrong or shameful about learning to work with your hands, or learning a trade, or a skill via an apprenticeship.

Want to pay teachers more? Then get businesses and specific industries more involved in the educational process; they’ll pay big bugs to train up a highly specialized workforce.

Also, I think that college really should be a bit more flexible, offering a wider range of 1-3 year educational options.

Good ideas. I wish uncircumscribed could understand that not every one should go to college. However, in the 21st century, almost every one is going to need some type of post-secondary training in technology and services.

As I posited earlier, the 'baby boom' generation covers nearly 20 years and certainly not monolithic in their benefits and costs.

Vietnam ended before I graduated high school, none of my classmates were part of it. Certainly not part and parcel of the 'free love' or 'protest the war' movements, though beneficiaries of both. ;)

OTOH, we certainly hadn't an 'easy time' of education or young parent years. There actually have been many doctoral thesis on the topic, here's one:

http://midus.wisc.edu/findings/pdfs/337.pdf

I bet you are one of those sensitive fellas that's studying poetry
and a strong liberal arts back round and you are majoring in puppet making.

So baby boomers....

whiny kid is whiny

I'm a lot less whiny than some of the people here on this board, believe me.

Also, are you satisfied with how the current generation in power has been running Washington? Can we do better?

no

probably

What do you know about Mao and his batshit insane youth revolution - that or Pol Pot???

If you were smart you would realize you're nothing more than a collectivist tool...

"Collectivist tool"? Would you be able to outline the stream of thought that led you from (a) my post to (b) that conclusion?

The fact that you started out blaming someone else, everyone else. Stick with living within your means, and you are off to a good start. It isn't Baby-Boomers that did this, but an entitlement mentality. Everything has a cost. Best to weigh it and understand it before making irresponsible decisions. I know it's a shock to some, but Unalienable Rights have little to do with how much money is spent on any select group, and everything to do with respecting both Your Own and Others, Right to Life, Liberty, Private Property, and Pursuit of Happiness. People like Franko never get that. For his kind, it's about being in control of others, and having them answer to him in everything. It's never enough, and his kind are never satisfied. Look at Obama. Does he look like he is at peace? No way.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back