Thanks a lot, Baby Boomers

Well you teach economics - economics usually doesn't focus on social ideas... I suppose basic microeconomics does but that is as far as economics gets to real social ideas....

My intended target was more of the Liberal Arts professors/teachers.....

I cant see how economics could even be political, maybe theoretical (such as Keynesian)...

Nick, I think economics goes hand in hand with politics, a lot more than in other subjects such as accounting, finance, engineering, to name a few.

No...

Economics like accounting should have absolutely nothing to do with politics...

Politics are what impedes economics....
You're certainly no......

?

I said that simply chalking up the higher cost of college to the normal inflation rate of the economy was not a strong argument in explaining the higher cost of college. This is because price across the broad economy as a whole increases only about 2% YOY (historically), yet college prices specifically seem to be increasing about 4-6% YOY – faster than the rate of broad inflation. So there must be some other factors influencing those cost increases.

I mentioned that demand is one of them. More people going to school = more demand = higher prices.

Kevin, where do you think the dollars your parents spend on your education go?

Do you think that a big chunk of the check goes to "baby boomers" who party with it? If college education actually were 700% of what it was 30 years ago, in constant dollars, what would the cause of that be? Is the tuition money going into the SS fund to pay baby boomers?

You teach economics? What a moronic statement. The rise is classic supply and demand economics: more students chasing a limited number of seats. Of course, costs have gone up.

Almost every male "boomer" had to register for the draft and most served in the Military either in war or peace time. A gen Xer could do a couple of years in the Military in comparative safety and be eligible for the G.I. benefits and have a big part of college education paid for but they would rather whine and complain about how unfair it is to live in the greatest Country in the world.

Why are you condemning whiners like the far right, whitehall? This is the greatest country in the world.

First off, let’s get one thing straight - my college burden rests on me, not my parents. I know this because of the $350/month that gets subtracted from my bank account every month. It will continue to subtract that amount for the next 20 years.

If you compare the average cost of tuition in 1950 vs 2012, and then adjust for inflation, you will find that college tuition today will be higher by a factor of about 7. I think some of this is due to demand, some is due to “fancier college amenities” as Peach pointed out, and some of this can be due to the fact that colleges are simply charging more for the same things they offered in 1950.

Where’s all this money going to? I don’t know. The students aren’t making a profit, though, I’ll tell you that.

The money that goes into the SS fund is coming out of my paycheck. Just checked my stub and looks like I’ve contributed about $750 YTD so far to SS. $750! I could have put that right into my 401K, but instead it's been shipped far, far away......... perhaps to see again someday? Who knows....

Kevin, the money that California state Universities collect go almost entirely to employee compensation and facilities. Of the compensation chunk, more is used to fund pensions than to pay current staff.

Yet the left claims teachers aren't paid enough. How do you rectify the two?

University of California Budget News » UC budget myths & facts

You teach economics? What a moronic statement. The rise is classic supply and demand economics: more students chasing a limited number of seats. Of course, costs have gone up.

I see, so the number of educational slots remains static? No new colleges or universities have been built in the last 60 years?

You've got it all figured out, Fakey Jake....

I see, so the number of educational slots remains static? No new colleges or universities have been built in the last 60 years?

I think definitely Universities have expanded and more Universities have been built since the 1950's (obviously), but not at the rate to support the rise in demand.

Meaning maybe only 1 new classroom (capacity 30) gets added for every 45 additional students applying, or something along those lines.

So baby boomers....

(1) Go to college dirt cheap, then jack up the price about 700% by the time I attended, (2) traded the idea of sane responsible banking for a "live for the moment" get rich quick profit scheme that crashed our global economy in 2006-2008, and (3) have drilled a giant divide in Washington D.C. by encouraging and perpetuating a nasty culture of political extremism.

Am I just being cynical, or does the "baby boom" generation have some explaining to do?

Sort of a half serious post, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

I get what you're saying.

It sometimes troubles me how one generation can completely forget what made the previous one work.

My grandparents generation picked themselves up after the Depression and created the safety net. It was a time when America insisted on not being second rate at anything, and instead of waging a race to the bottom with countries like China when it comes to job security and benefits, they propped each other up, only for the boomers to come along and undo everything.
Please!!!

You don't give those Depression-survivors much credit for their calculating-ways.

They ended-up "squeezin'-out a bunch o' puppies" (tax-paying Boomers), to COVER their S.S.-need$!!!!!

Back in the late-'60s/early-'70s....when the idea of smaller-families was being discussed; nationwide....I remember my Mother (now, in her mid-80s) asking "Who's gonna support you?"

I never really figured-out what-the-Hell she was suggesting, until many-years-later. She was talkin'-about people paying-into S.S.!!!! So....for all you (other) Boomers, out there....whenever you start thinkin' there were so-many of us....just because our parents "loved" kids, so much.....guess, again. Hell.....we were retirement-inve$tment$!!!! (...And, we were expected to do the same.)​

When looking at an economy one must strongly take "cause and effect" into consideration...

Economic methods and practices have no political leaning......
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....and, major-companies don't really have lobbyists....they're merely an illusion, right?​

You don't give those Depression-survivors much credit for their calculating-ways.

They ended-up "squeezin'-out a bunch o' puppies" (tax-paying Boomers), to COVER their S.S.-need$!!!!!

Back in the late-'60s/early-'70s....when the idea of smaller-families was being discussed; nationwide....I remember my Mother (now, in her mid-80s) asking "Who's gonna support you?"

I never really figured-out what-the-Hell she was suggesting, until many-years-later. She was talkin'-about people paying-into S.S.!!!! So....for all you (other) Boomers, out there....whenever you start thinkin' there were so-many of us....just because our parents "loved" kids, so much.....guess, again. Hell.....we were retirement-inve$tment$!!!! (...And, we were expected to do the same.)[/CENTER]

My question is, why have this system where the young generation directly pays for the old, and all of the money has to pass through the hands of the government (with all of the administrative costs, inefficiencies, ect, associated with that transaction)?

Why not just the young people put away money on their own (for themselves), and then use that money to retire whenever they feel it's possible to do so? Doesn't that seem more simple, more efficient?

Now I realize that some people don't have the luxury to save, and that certain 'safety nets' for those less fortunate should be put in place, but what about the millions of middle class/ upper class Americans who can save. Why create this whole elaborate SS scheme?

Last edited:
I think definitely Universities have expanded and more Universities have been built since the 1950's (obviously), but not at the rate to support the rise in demand.

Meaning maybe only 1 new classroom (capacity 30) gets added for every 45 additional students applying, or something along those lines.

Do you think every child who makes it to American shores should be guaranteed a college education?

Is the percentage of people in college more or less than it was in the 50's? Is it more or less than in Europe?

In both cases, dramatically more. We have this idea that every child should go to Yale. The problem is, that isn't realistic. Our capacity is fine, our expectations are not. Sorry Mrs. Smith, Little Fakey Jake with an 890 total SAT and that 2.1 high school GPA isn't University material.

So baby boomers.....

I think your ire is misplaced. It's central planners that caused the problems you've outline. It just so happens that the baby boomers coincided with the rise of central planners...but don't blame someone for when they were born, blame the assholes that actually caused the problems. That would be those that think they know what's best for everyone else.

Economist Richard Vedder agrees.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUmxyAfYKzw]Economist Richard Vedder on Why College Costs So Much - YouTube[/ame]

uncircumscribed, who supposedly teaches economics, does not understand that the number of students have expanded much more than college seats.

Now uncircumscribed should be aware that if and when the major schools realize that the DL universe will not hurt the mortar and cement educational universe, the number of seats will come into line with the number of students.

Provided, that is, uncircumscribed, the colleges don't collude to keep the number of streets restricted.

You don't really teach econ, do you?

So baby boomers....

(1) Go to college dirt cheap, then jack up the price about 700% by the time I attended, (2) traded the idea of sane responsible banking for a "live for the moment" get rich quick profit scheme that crashed our global economy in 2006-2008, and (3) have drilled a giant divide in Washington D.C. by encouraging and perpetuating a nasty culture of political extremism.

Am I just being cynical, or does the "baby boom" generation have some explaining to do?

You're a fucking retard, you really are... hopefully you didn't waste too much of mommy and daddy's money on college.

The supposedly 'lucky boomers' have never been such, with the exception of the first wave born in 1945-1950. The rest, born between '51-65 faced over crowded schools-'over crowded today is 30, in the 60's and 70's, 45 wasn't abnormal attendance roster, first in grammar schools, but 70's the high schools. Most suburbs built new schools, just in time for the bottom of the boomers to hit high school. :rolleyes:

College housing was a serious issue, there were no 'suites'. We were doubled, tripled, and quadrupled up in a room that is now 1/2 of your suite. I KNOW. One of my kids was in my first dorm.

Remember that little blip of a recession during the Carter/Reagan years? Remember interests rates on mortgages over 16%?

Again, those at the 'front' of the boom are being felt with pension collecting today. However, those born after 1950? They are the leaders in loss of pensions, positions, savings, and now many are unemployed and underemployed. How easy do you think it is to find a job at 60 or 55? With no savings, no medical care, etc., they are not on some gravy train, indeed, they are staring disaster in the teeth.

My heart breaks for those with young families, just graduating college or high school right now. However, they have 35-40 years to find their way back. Not so most of the baby boomers.

Do you think every child who makes it to American shores should be guaranteed a college education?

Is the percentage of people in college more or less than it was in the 50's? Is it more or less than in Europe?

In both cases, dramatically more. We have this idea that every child should go to Yale. The problem is, that isn't realistic. Our capacity is fine, our expectations are not. Sorry Mrs. Smith, Little Fakey Jake with an 890 total SAT and that 2.1 high school GPA isn't University material.

Uncensored, it’s been my view for a long time that this idea that everyone in America needs to attend a 4 year University is a highly flawed one. HIGHLY flawed.

We need to let the young generation know that there’s nothing wrong or shameful about learning to work with your hands, or learning a trade, or a skill via an apprenticeship.

Want to pay teachers more? Then get businesses and specific industries more involved in the educational process; they’ll pay big bugs to train up a highly specialized workforce.

Also, I think that college really should be a bit more flexible, offering a wider range of 1-3 year educational options.

Look at your post this way, if you blame baby boomers for the situation we are in now, just think about the state of our country when you young ones suck your share out of the country.

This is what we are talking about when we say Obama, via his healthcare agenda, will stick your generation with a nightmare ten times what it is now.

Personally, I hope that our government begins to scale back over the next 20-30 years. And to note, I’m not an Obama fan, nor a Democrat.

My generation is not one of entitlements, and the reason being is that we simply don’t trust the government for the things that maybe those born in the 50’s and 60’s would trust the government for. Social Security? Fat chance I’ll ever see a check, so I’m planning retirement for myself via a 401k.

I like the idea of good and effective social safety nets, but there are a lot of aspects of our government that have grown rampant and out of control. I think a lot of young people are somewhat conservative (at heart) or can be conservative when it comes to an approach to government. So why do we generally not vote Republican?

A few reasons:

1.) Modern Republicans generally are as fiscally expansive and authoritarian as Democrats. Small Gov’t my ass.
2.) Generally are on the “wrong side” of social issues with regards to the youth. Shouldn’t a small gov’t party care less if gay people marry?

Anyways, just my two cents.

I was born in 1980, I will soon be 32 and I know certainly I will never see a SS check despite the fact I pay 15% into the program.

You don't KNOW SHIT!!!!

You're no psychic, and you've gotta start realizing....neither are the people you're listening-to!!!

Your need to be pessimistic/negative is your own, fuckin' choice!! Quit tryin' to blame everyone-else for your problems. Hell...all you're doing is settin'-up all kinds of excuses for you fuckin'-up your OWN Life. That's your plan....to FAIL??!!! Quit allowing OTHERS to tell you what the future holds.....'casue, they have NO FUCKIN' IDEA!!! There are no Absolutes. Fate is a fuckin' FAIRY-TALE!!! Grow-the-fuck-up & quit your fuckin' whining about everyone-else makin' your Life so difficult.​

So baby boomers....

You're a fucking retard, you really are... hopefully you didn't waste too much of mommy and daddy's money on college.

I pay $350 a month in student loans (private + federal) you moron, so you can save your insult with that regard.

But at least I've got a nice job to show for it; a lot of people my age weren't so lucky.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back