Thankgiving Plans

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
What are yours?

We are looking forward to spending the day with our best friends, Lincoln and Mei Lang. Their daughter is coming and we will have a warm and non-traditional Thanksgiving.

Mei Lang is Taiwanese, and an excellent cook and artist. Lincoln is a brilliant journalist, and delightful and funny story teller. He knows about world politics from his vast travels. Their daughter runs a radio station in Alaska.

It's also my birthday. I will turn 60.:lol:

I always make auspicious wishes on my birthday. For the ones that relate to this forum, I plan on avoiding the Flame Zone.

Last edited:
I plan on watching football, and eating some pumpkin pie (assuming I have any around, if my roommates/employers get me some before they leave to visit family).

Later in the day I plan on being angry because the Niner game is on NFL network. :evil:

2 dinners. ONe for the troubled Iraq vets and their families that I used to work with.
Here at my house, with all the trimmings. That one is on Friday.

Another one here on Thanksgiving day for family and close friends.
the grandkids will likely erect the sacrificial conifer. With green led lighting.

Scary scary dinner! Its a crap shoot if we come back alive!!! Seriously!

We trade off ever few years and have dinner with long time family friends. Let me give you some visuals.

The "ice cubes" i swear...i SWEAR!!! are deep core ice samples of a billion years ago. "Would you like a drink" they ask. No. i answer
"Oh come on" everyone gives me the eye and i capitulate... Alright, ill have a scotch.
l ask for scotch hoping that the scotch will kill anything in the ice. You bring the drink up to your mouth, and EVERY fiber in you body is screaming NNNNNOOOO....don't drink it!! The ice is so old it has every taste that could be ever be absorbed by an ice cube....

I cant tell you what the appetizers are... as they are always something i as can never quite make out what it is. I take one along with the rest of us.... knowing glances being passed... all saying Ready... i dare you to go first!!

The turkey......is always raw. :eek: So you take a very little slice and try very hard not to let anything touch anything else on your plate. You make a big show of having seconds of everything BUT the turkey. Food poising is never a good thing.

We always offer to bring the wine, a vegetable, the stuffing, the gravy and the pies.... Please god...one of these days they will let us being the turkey too!

But we go... we drive 2 hours to get there all knowing what we are in for. Thanksgiving is not about the food...it is about enjoying the company of the people you love. :)

Pray for me... if you don't ever hear from me for a few days after you will know i have succumbed to food poisoning :)

ahhh i wont forget the year my son brought his new yankee g/f to thanksgiving dinner...and she ask me where i purchased the dessert....you could have heard a pin drop...as my son whispered to her....'honey its all homemade' and then she said...'it cant be, its so good'.....at that point people just sat there quietly.....like nothing more could be said

• Banned
I can't tell you how happy I am about these plans for Thankgiving. No turkey. YEAH. Asian foods! Good wine, interesting people.

Bones that is a great story. We could all tell some Thanksgiving bloopers.

I remember trying to cook a turkey in a fireplace on the Oregon coast in a windstorm. What a disaster!

When I was first married I bought the frozen turkey at the grocery and threw it in the freezer. Te cooking instructions said about 4 hours so I take the frozen bird out about 9 am and turn on the oven. 10 am, I check the bird, no heat. Musta forgot to turn on one of those knobs, anyway the oven gets hot. So, about 2 pm, I take a look, the bird is still frozen at it's center and I found out you have to stick your hand up it's ass to get out the giblets and other disgusting stuff.

That was the last time I got to cook T'Day turkey. Go figure. Guys, there's a lesson in here if you can find it.

When I was first married I bought the frozen turkey at the grocery and threw it in the freezer. Te cooking instructions said about 4 hours so I take the frozen bird out about 9 am and turn on the oven. 10 am, I check the bird, no heat. Musta forgot to turn on one of those knobs, anyway the oven gets hot. So, about 2 pm, I take a look, the bird is still frozen at it's center and I found out you have to stick your hand up it's ass to get out the giblets and other disgusting stuff.

That was the last time I got to cook T'Day turkey. Go figure. Guys, there's a lesson in here if you can find it.

If you really wanna cook, stick your hand up the ass.

Deep fried turkey with a million extra sides...

- Deep fried turkey (takeout - I wish we had a traditional oven roast but deep fried is tasty)
- Mashed potatoes/gravy
- Brother in-laws mac and cheese
- Cranberry sauce
- Sisters casserole
- Stuffing
- Veggies - corn,carrots and broccoli
- Cheese soup (I dont know what kind)

Maybe I should only eat on Tuesday and fast on Wednesday to make room for Thursday...

I may explode....

I just heard that it's not just Lincoln's daughter who will be there, but many of her friends. Lots of smart young people to talk politics about. That will be fun.

Traditional dinner at my first wife's home, along with two of our three children, five of our six grandchildren, her husband, her husband's children, his grandchildren, her sister-in-law and her children, their children, her cousins and their children, friends of all of the above who are at dating age, several dogs and a few stray cats.

We'll likely watch Gator races on the front lawn and thru the surrounding woods, then eat like staving hogs, sleep in front of three TVs, pack a "to go" Tupperware of left over whatever-is-left and yawn all the way home, wishing I hadn't eaten so much.

Two friends are coming over for Thanksgiving dinner. Wife has bought a huge 10 pound turkey gizzard and she will cook it up, slice it up and make turkey gizzard sandwiches which we will consume while we watch the football games.

Two friends are coming over for Thanksgiving dinner. Wife has bought a huge 10 pound turkey gizzard and she will cook it up, slice it up and make turkey gizzard sandwiches which we will consume while we watch the football games.

Okay, now that's disgusting. :eusa_hand:

Same as I do every Thursday...come home, do chores, get a couple of hours of sleep, get up and go back to work. I guess the holiday overtime will be nice. The bosses almost always provide some kind of chow, but I work graves, so by the time our shift comes on, whatever's left is pretty much crap. Oh, well, there's a pizza place that will deliver, the crew will chip in and we'll have pizza and pop... Same as every Thanksgiving.

Forum List

Back