Thankgiving Plans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sky Dancer, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    What are yours?

We are looking forward to spending the day with our best friends, Lincoln and Mei Lang. Their daughter is coming and we will have a warm and non-traditional Thanksgiving.

Mei Lang is Taiwanese, and an excellent cook and artist. Lincoln is a brilliant journalist, and delightful and funny story teller. He knows about world politics from his vast travels. Their daughter runs a radio station in Alaska.

It's also my birthday. I will turn 60.:lol:

I always make auspicious wishes on my birthday. For the ones that relate to this forum, I plan on avoiding the Flame Zone.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    traditional dinner....

just family and friends....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,377
    I plan on watching football, and eating some pumpkin pie (assuming I have any around, if my roommates/employers get me some before they leave to visit family).

Later in the day I plan on being angry because the Niner game is on NFL network. :evil:

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    2 dinners. ONe for the troubled Iraq vets and their families that I used to work with.
    Here at my house, with all the trimmings. That one is on Friday.

Another one here on Thanksgiving day for family and close friends.
    the grandkids will likely erect the sacrificial conifer. With green led lighting.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Volunteering in the morning until about 4:30 PM then to family for dinner.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Scary scary dinner! Its a crap shoot if we come back alive!!! Seriously!

We trade off ever few years and have dinner with long time family friends. Let me give you some visuals.

The "ice cubes" i swear...i SWEAR!!! are deep core ice samples of a billion years ago. "Would you like a drink" they ask. No. i answer
    "Oh come on" everyone gives me the eye and i capitulate... Alright, ill have a scotch.
    l ask for scotch hoping that the scotch will kill anything in the ice. You bring the drink up to your mouth, and EVERY fiber in you body is screaming NNNNNOOOO....don't drink it!! The ice is so old it has every taste that could be ever be absorbed by an ice cube....

I cant tell you what the appetizers are... as they are always something i as can never quite make out what it is. I take one along with the rest of us.... knowing glances being passed... all saying Ready... i dare you to go first!!

The turkey......is always raw. :eek: So you take a very little slice and try very hard not to let anything touch anything else on your plate. You make a big show of having seconds of everything BUT the turkey. Food poising is never a good thing.

We always offer to bring the wine, a vegetable, the stuffing, the gravy and the pies.... Please god...one of these days they will let us being the turkey too!

But we go... we drive 2 hours to get there all knowing what we are in for. Thanksgiving is not about the food...it is about enjoying the company of the people you love. :)

Pray for me... if you don't ever hear from me for a few days after you will know i have succumbed to food poisoning :)

7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,428
    Thanksgiving Plans

Eight hours of holiday overtime............. :cool:

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    ahhh i wont forget the year my son brought his new yankee g/f to thanksgiving dinner...and she ask me where i purchased the dessert....you could have heard a pin drop...as my son whispered to her....'honey its all homemade' and then she said...'it cant be, its so good'.....at that point people just sat there quietly.....like nothing more could be said

9. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    I can't tell you how happy I am about these plans for Thankgiving. No turkey. YEAH. Asian foods! Good wine, interesting people.

10. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Bones that is a great story. We could all tell some Thanksgiving bloopers.

I remember trying to cook a turkey in a fireplace on the Oregon coast in a windstorm. What a disaster!