Thank Bill Clinton for making VA care the best in the world

R

rdean

The roots of the VA's reformation go back to 1994, when Bill Clinton appointed Kenneth Kizer, a hard-charging doctor and former Navy diver, as the VA's under secretary for health. Kizer decentralized the VA's cumbersome health bureaucracy and held regional managers more accountable. Patient records were transferred to a system-wide computer network, which has made its way into only 3% of private hospitals. When a veteran is treated, the doctor has the vet's complete medical history on a laptop. In the private sector, 20% of all lab tests are needlessly repeated because the doctor doesn't have handy the results of the same test performed earlier, according to a 2004 report by the President's information technology advisory committee.

How VA Hospitals Became The Best - Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center - Houston, Texas

So why did this work and why do Republicans say it doesn't work now?

GOP Cut Funds For Veterans And Mental Health And Now We Have A Veteran Suicide Epidemic | Addicting Info | The Knowledge You Crave

Republicans love to cut funding for Veterans. They have been doing it for years. That's the problem now. It's not that the care is bad, it's that it hasn't been funded. Typical of the GOP.

But the other huge gain was the fact it was computerized. All of a sudden, you had a huge data base of patients. Age, weight, height, race, symptoms and so on. By keeping such meticulous records, you could see what therapies worked best. What medicines worked. The best treatments.

In fact, if the VA was smart, they could rent out their data base to make hospitals and networks work better.

The best thing Republican could do for veterans besides funding them, is update their computer system with modern technology.

It's this kind of lasting systems put in place that made Bill Clinton a popular president.

The best thing Republican could do for veterans besides funding them, is update their computer system with modern technology.

Just wondering why pbo did not do this... Would have helped with a very seriously depleted legacy... Poor pbo who is going to buy his book?

I can tell you from experience that the the VA of today is much better than the VA in 1982...During Reagan the gawd...

I can tell you from experience that the the VA of today is much better than the VA in 1982...During Reagan the gawd...

Yes and air transportation is of a better quality than whan Orville and Wilbur was in charge...
Yet when you travel by air, you have less of a chance of having a pilot which will intentionally have you crash and die through misdiagnosis of your condition in your seat..

Just wondering why pbo did not do this... Would have helped with a very seriously depleted legacy... Poor pbo who is going to buy his book?
Republicans fund the VA. The GOP ruined the economy under Bush. They used reconciliation three times. Then they plotted to destroy Obama and blocked everything he tried to do and he was still a good president.

Name something Republicans have done since Nixon that was good for the country. I can't think of anything. Neither can they.

It's this kind of lasting systems put in place that made Bill Clinton a popular president.

of course if it had been lasting we would not have had the huge recent scandals. A govt monopoly bureaucracy is no ones idea of efficiency unless you are communist. Do you know why a govt monopoly bureaucracy does not work well?

of course if it had been lasting we would not have had the huge recent scandals. A govt monopoly bureaucracy is no ones idea of efficiency unless you are communist. Do you know why a govt monopoly bureaucracy does not work well?
When Republicans are in charge, government never works. Look at government under Bush. Get your seatbelts on under Trump, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Trump:

"You know, I'm, like, a smart person," Trump told "Fox News Sunday." "I don't have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day for the next eight years. Could be eight years — but eight years. I don't need that. But I do say, 'If something should change, let us know.'"

When Republicans are in charge, government never works. Look at government under Bush. Get your seatbelts on under Trump, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Trump:

"You know, I'm, like, a smart person," Trump told "Fox News Sunday." "I don't have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day for the next eight years. Could be eight years — but eight years. I don't need that. But I do say, 'If something should change, let us know.'"

We hire republicans to keep the government from working.

Are you stupid ?

Government never works well....look at the ACA (before it goes away).

Forum List

Back