Texas vs Obama

Slade3200

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2016
I've heard a ton of Obama bashing about his executive orders and actions regarding our immigration policy's. SCOTUS ruled with a 4-4 vote so the lower courts ruling to not uphold the orders will remain in effect until SCOTUS places another ruling... Many people on this board claim that Obama is a law breaker and should be in jail.

Today, the SCOTUS just ruled with a 5-3 majority that the Texas laws/regulations put on abortion clinics were unconstitutional because they presented a clear obstacle to women and doctors and showed an intent to limit the ability for women to get this procedure.

My question, for those who feel that Obama should be punished for his executive orders... Do you also feel that the Texas lawmakers are guilty of the same abuse of power and should be in the cell next to Obama?

I've heard a ton of Obama bashing about his executive orders and actions regarding our immigration policy's. SCOTUS ruled with a 4-4 vote so the lower courts ruling to not uphold the orders will remain in effect until SCOTUS places another ruling... Many people on this board claim that Obama is a law breaker and should be in jail.

Today, the SCOTUS just ruled with a 5-3 majority that the Texas laws/regulations put on abortion clinics were unconstitutional because they presented a clear obstacle to women and doctors and showed an intent to limit the ability for women to get this procedure.

My question, for those who feel that Obama should be punished for his executive orders... Do you also feel that the Texas lawmakers are guilty of the same abuse of power and should be in the cell next to Obama?
Er... the law in Texas was passed via normal order not by executive decree so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

As far as Obama's over reach with executive orders, every American should be against that sort of behavior by the Executive Branch since BOTH parties do it and it just undermines the power of the citizenry. The remedy is for the citizenry to force (via the ballot box) congress to start taking it's constitutional responsibilities seriously and lay some legislative/power of the purse smack down on the Executive Branch when it tries to create law via EO.

Er... the law in Texas was passed via normal order not by executive decree so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

As far as Obama's over reach with executive orders, every American should be against that sort of behavior by the Executive Branch since BOTH parties do it and it just undermines the power of the citizenry. The remedy is for the citizenry to force (via the ballot box) congress to start taking it's constitutional responsibilities seriously and lay some legislative/power of the purse smack down on the Executive Branch when it tries to create law via EO.

Yeah, don't they know ALEC is where laws get made?

Well said... However, when you have a congress that sits on their hands and won't even vote on issues without "something in return" we enter a state of gridlock which has proven to be more than frustrating. The recent game they played with the SCOTUS nominee is a prime example, they should be ashamed of themselves...

The president does have the right to institute executive orders, all presidents have done it, and our system of checks and balances remains in place. I agree with you that i'd much prefer our congress do its job... write law and vote. But i'm also extremely frustrated with the circlejerk they have going on at the capital... How many decades do we need to argue about an issue before actually doing something about it?

Here is the Executive Order Disposition Table linked below with ALL of the EO's signed by the President since 2009 when he started his first term. I challenge you to find just three (3) EO's that are an "over reach" of Constitutional powers of the President as you claim and "undermines the power of the citizenry". Show just three examples of EO's signed by Obama which "create law via EO."

Barack Obama Executive Orders Disposition Tables

Texas did not change existing law through executive order this was done through the normal practice as were the court challenges. I get the frustration people have with Congress but do we really want Presidents to able to change laws through executive order? I know they can be undone by the next President but consider the impact both positive and negative they can have before then and consider its possible the next President doing this could be Donald Trump. I don't think the left would be anymore thrilled about that than the right would with Hillary having that power.

Texas did not change existing law through executive order this was done through the normal practice as were the court challenges. I get the frustration people have with Congress but do we really want Presidents to able to change laws through executive order? I know they can be undone by the next President but consider the impact both positive and negative they can have before then and consider its possible the next President doing this could be Donald Trump. I don't think the left would be anymore thrilled about that than the right would with Hillary having that power.
I agree and don't think exec orders should be a heavily used practice. The fact that courts can negate any order deemed unconstitutional is a good check and means we don't necessarily have to wait for the next president to veto. On the other hand, the president was elected to lead by the people and does have a mandate and the right to steer policy according to his will. He/she has the power to declare war, he/she should have some power to influence our policies, especially when we have an incompetent congress.

I agree and don't think exec orders should be a heavily used practice. The fact that courts can negate any order deemed unconstitutional is a good check and means we don't necessarily have to wait for the next president to veto. On the other hand, the president was elected to lead by the people and does have a mandate and the right to steer policy according to his will. He/she has the power to declare war, he/she should have some power to influence our policies, especially when we have an incompetent congress.
The problem with the court is they have become pretty much as partisan as Congress with a few exceptions the Supreme Court much like Congress goes right along party lines. The President does have some power but that power is limited and for a reason. For example I don't believe the President has the power to declare war if they want a declaration of war they have to get that from Congress at least for now.

Forum List

Back