Texas Teen Killed by Police in School Had a Pellet Gun!

We are both rational, as we understand that children toys or, children that use a pellet gun – can be killed by law enforcement personal as an accidental death. Society, can only limit not outright change the wills of people to do stupid acts. The death of the child, the shooting of the police, and whatever point you want to downgrade – are parts of a whole. Recall, we are more than the sum of our parts. Society, government, cultural understanding: can only limit not outright have a perfect fail safe.

Shut up and get me a coffee. Black, one sugar.
You ain't getting change from that $20. Just letting you know.

Are you sure about that? I am usually armed. :D

Well, so much for the racism conspiracy theory:

Police release names of officers involved in Cummings Middle School shooting
January 10, 2012 5:44 PM
LAURA B. MARTINEZ AND MADELINE BUCKLEY/The Brownsville Herald

The Brownsville Police Department on Tuesday released the names of the officers involved in the shooting at Cummings Middle School that left a student dead.
The officers have been identified as Everardo Longoria, 36, the brother of city commissioner Ricardo Longoria, and Raul E. Cazares, 27.

The two shot and killed 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez, an eighth-grader, at the school campus after he pointed a weapon at the officers and refused to put it down, after repeatedly told to do so. The weapon Gonzalez brandished was later determined to be a pellet gun.

A preliminary autopsy report on Gonzalez indicated he died of the gunshot wounds he received to the chest and stomach.
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/articles/officers-135679-gonzalez-school.html

I am Sunshine will spin this to being somehow still racist. Maybe they were light skinned Hispanics and thought he was just a dark skinned wetback?

Meh ... I think I know the direction this is likely to go next.

I would be hesitant to call Brownsville a "little one horse town".

Wiki entry:

"Brownsville is a city in the southernmost tip of the state of Texas, in the United States.[3] It is located on the northern bank of the Rio Grande, directly north and across the border from Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico. Brownsville is the 16th largest city in the state of Texas with a population of 175,023.[4] In addition, the Matamoros–Brownsville Metropolitan Area counts with a population of 1,136,995,[5] making it the 4th largest metropolitan area in the Mexico-US border.[6]
The area in Brownsville is one of the fastest growing urban areas in the United States.[7] The city's population dramatically increased after it experienced a boom in the steel industry during the 1900s, where it produced three times its annual capacity.[8] Nowadays, the Port of Brownsville is a major economic hub for South Texas, where shipments from Mexico, other parts of the United States and the world arrive.[9] Brownsville's economy is mainly based on its international trade with Mexico through the NAFTA agreement, and is home to one of the fastest growing manufacturing sectors in the nation.[10] In addition, Brownsville's climate has often been recognized among the best pro-business climates in the United States,[11] and the city has also been ranked among the least expensive places to live in the U.S.[12]"

175,000 people is NOT a large city. But if you want to contend that it is, fine. That put the lie to this being a little Hispanic community that grew its own cops.

No one said it's a large city.

A one horse town, though like you said, it's not. :thup:

Memory of a fucking guppy.

Dude, what do you have against guppies?:eusa_shifty:

No the rules haven't changed. The killing of an innocent person is still wrong. I have worked with police in large towns and small. And there are varying attitudes and skill levels. I get the very strong gut feeling that these cops either wer very green or had the same attitude as some of the posters here. My issue with the situation is that none of the 'talking down' techniques were tries. They just barked an order which was not followed and then fired.

I am glad my children are grown. I was VERY much OK with it when they both opted out of having children, then mother nature decided that one of the would have a child. It's really scary when you think about sending a child to school and he ends up dead at the hand of the government before th day was over

From what I have read, the communty is still demanding 'justice' for this killing. Obviously the community doesn't see it as the cops 'just doing what needed doing.' I think if you read, the opinions of some of our posters are colored by their loathing of the 'slimy bastard anchor baby' syndrome. When someone looks at another human in those terms, and when they have the option they will give a thumbs up to anyone who manages to harm or kill one even close to that description in their eyes.

As a parent, I know that you pretty much have to lie down and let the school system stomp all over you if you don't want them to label your child and provoke him on a daily basis. I also know that many students who take weapons to school have, themselves, been threatened and are trying to preserve their own lives. But neither of those facts will be acknowledged here because two cops have to save their own skin, and the 'system' has to maintain some kind of order.

And there we have the disconnect. You think a kid brandish a knife and what appears to be a 9 MM handgun in a school full of children is innocent. He attacked one kid and was a threat to the entire school.

Once again for the slow and amazingly stupid. The cops saw a glock 9 MM in his hands, that is what it LOOKS like. They had hundreds of children and dozens of Teachers at risk. They tried for 20 minutes to talk him down. He made the choice to POINT what looked like a 9 MM handgun at cops. He caused what happened. He purposefully stayed as far away as he could so that they could not use a taser or any non lethal means to subdue an ARMED person in a Middle school. If it were a 9mm the lock on the doors would have been useless, one shot and he is in.

And once again for the STUPENDOUSLY stupid, they did none of the intervention techniques they were supposed to know how to do. If they had done something other than the TV 'freeze turkey' routine, they most likely could have averted this death!

And you know all this how?

I an a psychiatric nurse practitioner. I have spent the last 22 years dealing with mentally disturbed people of ALL ages.

Then perhaps you should be a cop and show them how it's supposed to be done.

We have done a LOT of teaching for the police in every clinic I have worked. Thank you. I already have. We work collaboratively with the police. And we have had no one shot by them yet!

Maybe you cops just aren't racist enough.

Should we sell toy guns in the first place? If he did not have a toy gun, then the police would have shot and killed him. A life was lost, and peoples’ lives on both sides will change. Thousands of dollars will be spent in an investigation and lawsuits if it happens.

With have to ask the NRA, will you agree that toy guns can be banned? Or would they say, you start with toy guns, and then you open the door to ban real guns. Therefore, children that do not know better will be shot by police that do not know better as well.

It wasn't a toy gun, it was a pellet pistol. I use small caliber rifles and pellet guns to practice and teach marksmanship skills at low cost. Ammunition is pretty pricey, so a low-cost alternative is always welcome.

Damn straight!!! Let's outlaw alcohol and cars too! And fatty foods!

They are a choice, a rational person that makes a rational lifestyle choice. It could be rational for their lifestyle, and not for others. They are free will. Is it free will, to have a pellet gun or a toy gun – only to be shot and killed by the police? Understand the rational argument, he should have understood he could be shot and kill with having a weapon. A pellet gun, a toy gun, they are still a weapon in one way or another. Anyway, are we not going down the rabbit hole, to place full blame on the person killed. Society, has to be ethically responsible.

Duh! Of course this wannabe gangbanger had the free will to make the choice not to carry any type of weapon. He picked a pellet pistol because at his age he could not legally purchase a real pistol...otherwise, he might have been packing real heat. The brat made his choice, he suffered the consequences. Society places its trust in police officers to protect us, our children, our neighbors and families from evil little shit suckers like this kid. The cops did their job. Thankfully, the only one killed was the one who chose to die.

When I took crisis calls, I stayed on the phone with patients many times while the SWAT team went in and disarmed the person. No one dead. You are clearly uninformed. Yet you keep embarrassing yourself.

Once again you loony tunes, the cops had several HUNDRED children in harms way. Other then the person with the gun obeying them or being close enough to taze their concern was NOT the kid with the gun. Their concern was with the potential of dozens of dead or wounded children because they failed to act.

They could not let him out of their sight and they could not let him get in any room. He kept running away until he stopped and POINTED the handgun at officers.

2 things occur at that point. If they do not shoot not only are their lives in danger but all those kids are left with no means to stop a person with what appears to be a 9 MM handgun. They did the right thing and only a fucking loon thinks otherwise.

And then we have your initial and continued insistence that it was all about race. You do not even know who the cops were but you jumped to that conclusion right off the bat. The Police Chief IS Hispanic and he has openly and repeatedly DEFENDED the officers.

That is patently ridiculous. This thread is a racist thread. That's for sure.

And just who started that, sweetcheeks?

Every cops nightmare. An armed teen inside a school in session. And our resident whack job thinks they should have put out cake and cookies for him. While insisting the cops were racist.

I dunno. All I know is that if that was my child's school and the cops don't drop that gangbanger the first chance they had, I'm going to be climbing up the ass of every school administrator and police official in that place demanding to know why they allowed a crazy kid to run through the halls with a firearm and a death wish.

Well then what do you have to say for these school administrators who, as has been show on THIS thread, did not follow their OWN zero tolerance policy and expel him when he was caught with a knife?

Yeah, they are going to deflect onto the cops as long as that song will play.
I'd be on them like stink on shit about that as well.

Truth be told, I've been to Brownsville and it's a toilet. I wouldn't live there on a bet.

Thanks to those policemen who protected us from someone who brought, what appeared in all facets to be, a real gun.

As I read someone else say, this isn't television drama. It is real. Police officers have but a few seconds to act in situations like this, and the fact that he continued to point the gun at others far after the many times he was warned, justifies their actions.

Unfortunately, use of deadly force is not implemented these days more often.

Well then what do you have to say for these school administrators who, as has been show on THIS thread, did not follow their OWN zero tolerance policy and expel him when he was caught with a knife?

There's really no way to know that this wouldn't have been the case. The kid got in the knife fight before school, from what I understand, and entered the classroom and punched another kid in the face prior to first period, then took out the gun. There wouldn't likely have been time at that point for the kid to have been taken to the office in the first place.

There's really no way to know that this wouldn't have been the case. The kid got in the knife fight before school, from what I understand, and entered the classroom and punched another kid in the face prior to first period, then took out the gun. There wouldn't likely have been time at that point for the kid to have been taken to the office in the first place.

Don't bother her with facts. She is to busy making shit up.

o, is it okay with you if a kid is going to the same school with your own kid, and one of your kids' classmate carried a gun to school, which looks like a glock, points it at a cop (or worse at another student), threatens to shoot, and nobody does anything to try and stop it

Oh sure, that is what is said or what others said who disagree. No. We are asking if there may have been a better way of handling this for the safety of all involved. It is the most reasonable question anyone can ask.

Some get it and some do not!

You are not asking any questions, You are stating that the cops were racist and that they were poorly trained. All with absolutely no evidence.

Fucking moron. hundreds of kids were in danger the cops did what they had because they believed the gun was real. IF it had been real and they had done nothing and kids died or were wounded you would be bitching about it.

It is abundantly clear that no one was in danger of being killed.

Some get it and some do not!

You are not asking any questions, You are stating that the cops were racist and that they were poorly trained. All with absolutely no evidence.

Fucking moron. hundreds of kids were in danger the cops did what they had because they believed the gun was real. IF it had been real and they had done nothing and kids died or were wounded you would be bitching about it.

It's clear now that we know it was a pellet gun. It wasn't clear when the event occured.

And NO ONE has answered my post asking what about the school administrators who did not follow their own zero tolerance policy after he was caught with a knife, far more dangerous than the toy gun.

It's clear now that we know it was a pellet gun. It wasn't clear when the event occured.

And people can stop railing about how many people were about to be killed. The knife he had been caught with earlier was more dangerous than the gun and school administrators did nothing. They didn't follow their own zero tolerance policy. If they had this event would not have occurred.

Forum List

Back