Texas Teen Killed by Police in School Had a Pellet Gun!

The more I hear about and read this story, the more I wonder if the kid was just beginning to get involved in gang activity of some type. The mom made the statement that he had been "getting better", and the parents stated that the pellet gun was not a gift they would ever have given him. He was bordering on being too old for his grade level, which probably gave him a physical edge on his peers. The age of 14-15 seems to be a particularly difficult hurdle for boys to jump (based on my own parenting experience with two boys), and one of the articles I read stated that some gang members went to the funeral. I really think there is much more to the story than what we're hearing.

I've been thinking along these lines.

You are a fucking idiot. Ohh and by the way? I seriously doubt ANY city has any cops trained to ignore when a weapon is pointed at them in a school full of children.

When I took crisis calls, I stayed on the phone with patients many times while the SWAT team went in and disarmed the person. No one dead. You are clearly uninformed. Yet you keep embarrassing yourself.

Once again you loony tunes, the cops had several HUNDRED children in harms way. Other then the person with the gun obeying them or being close enough to taze their concern was NOT the kid with the gun. Their concern was with the potential of dozens of dead or wounded children because they failed to act.

They could not let him out of their sight and they could not let him get in any room. He kept running away until he stopped and POINTED the handgun at officers.

2 things occur at that point. If they do not shoot not only are their lives in danger but all those kids are left with no means to stop a person with what appears to be a 9 MM handgun. They did the right thing and only a fucking loon thinks otherwise.

And then we have your initial and continued insistence that it was all about race. You do not even know who the cops were but you jumped to that conclusion right off the bat. The Police Chief IS Hispanic and he has openly and repeatedly DEFENDED the officers.

That is patently ridiculous. This thread is a racist thread. That's for sure.

I found an interesting article related to the subject at hand. Here's an excerpt:

BB gun growing in crime usage; Realistic look, lesser penalty - Law Enforcement News

Capt. McGinn said there are some situations involving someone carrying a BB gun or pellet gun that raise suspicions.
"There is very little regulation on someone walking down the street with it tucked in their pants at 2'oclock in the morning," he said.
The accessibility of the BB and pellet-type guns has allowed them to be in the hands of gang members, people involved in the drug trade and people who would not be allowed to carry a traditional firearm through a Firearm Identification card or license to carry, police said.
In some cases, people are using the realistic-looking BB or pellet guns to intimidate others, Capt. McGinn said. That could result in a serious situation, he said.
"If someone pointed one of those at someone who has a real gun, they might get killed. God forbid someone pulled one out on a police officer."
An officer has very little time to determine if a BB or pellet gun is real, Sgt. Hazelhurst said.
"It would be a heartbreaking situation if someone pulled out a BB gun and threatened a police officer, and that officer, thinking it was a real gun, shot and killed or wounded that person," Capt. McGinn said.
"That is a worst-case scenario for a cop," Sgt. Hazelhurst said.
Convicted felons are not allowed to carry a firearm, and police believe they are carrying the very real looking BB, pellet or replica guns to commit robberies or use to intimidate others.
Since the felons are not carrying a real gun, they get around a very strict federal law that forbids felons from carrying firearms. People violating the law face a lengthy sentence if convicted.
"We are on top of the drug and gang people," Capt. McGinn said, "... consequently they are getting searched when justified. They don't want to get caught carrying a real gun."

I wonder if the kid was a gang member? The pellet pistol which he was carrying isn't one that can typically bought from a local sporting goods store.

The articles have all said he was not in a gang.

I dunno. All I know is that if that was my child's school and the cops don't drop that gangbanger the first chance they had, I'm going to be climbing up the ass of every school administrator and police official in that place demanding to know why they allowed a crazy kid to run through the halls with a firearm and a death wish.

Well then what do you have to say for these school administrators who, as has been show on THIS thread, did not follow their OWN zero tolerance policy and expel him when he was caught with a knife?

Yeah, they are going to deflect onto the cops as long as that song will play.

Federal Way?? nigga please.. How long has it been incorporated? 20 minutes? It's an exagerated strip mall. It has to have some history to be a city... I mean besides a 40 year history of hookers workin 99 south of seatac... :lol:

yeah, seattle's a real cosmopolitan place, if by cosmopolitan you mean badcoffee, bad software and really shitty rock bands.

:rofl:

How did you put it???....Ummmmm.... ya ....Fuck Off!

IMO Seattle is one of the most livable cities in the world. Maybe it doesn't matter to a creten like yourself but going all day without listening to some asshole blast his automobile horn senselessly means something to me.

Seattle is consistantly rated one of the best cities in the country... Those guys probably don't know anything do they O'Dello?

Maybe you should come here and hang out for a while...maybe it would rub off and you would become less of a punk ass bitch asshole.

Just sayin...:lol:

And you would be...........Tom Robbins............per chance? LOL

o, is it okay with you if a kid is going to the same school with your own kid, and one of your kids' classmate carried a gun to school, which looks like a glock, points it at a cop (or worse at another student), threatens to shoot, and nobody does anything to try and stop it

Oh sure, that is what is said or what others said who disagree. No. We are asking if there may have been a better way of handling this for the safety of all involved. It is the most reasonable question anyone can ask.

Some get it and some do not!

The shooting happened during first period at the school in Brownsville, a city at Texas' southern tip just across the Mexican border. Teachers locked classroom doors and turned off lights, and some frightened students dove under their desks. They could hear police charge down the hallway and shout for González to drop the weapon, followed by several shots.

Read more: Texas Teen Shot in School by Police Had a Pellet Gun | Fox News Latino
There were no children in the hall.

Didn't he do that immediately before the pellet gun incident? I thought that's how it went, but I could be wrong.

Do you have a link?

WTF? This is your thread and your argument. The proof is on you. You keep making assuumptions like they were facts and when anyone counters, you want links. You need to support YOUR assumptions. YOU tell us the sequence of events. In short, do your own homework and quit demanding that others do it for you.

It was your assertion. Link to it. I'm not your search engine.

They spent 20 MINUTES trying to talk him down. They only fired after he pointed a GUN at them. They waited 20 minutes risking the lives of hundreds of other kids and teachers. How the hell you get the idea they did nothing is beyond me. You are ignorant on this. By the way 175000 people that are 90 percent Hispanic they would have several hundred cops in that town. In Spokane which is about the same size the Sheriffs office had 400 cops. The city probably had the same or more.

It is not a "one horse" town.

BIG FUCKING DEAL!

I myself have disarmed patients with no loss of life, my own or anyone else's. I have gotten several patients over the years to hand over guns, (loaded and real), knives, slivers of glass, etc. If I can do it, surely a trained officer could. But no, they didn't even TRY. IMO these cops were a couple of green horns. I have no respect for them and that community will have its day with them. You watch.

I don't buy your BS, but if it is true, keep playing those odds and odds are.........you won't be posting here someday. When you're dead, trying to talk your killer down will seem like a very trivial matter to your survivors.

I chose my profession knowing the risks. I also developed the skill to keep myself alive and have done so for 22 years. The police are not going to be sitting arm and arm with every person in this country so they can shoot anyone who looks sideways at them.. People who have high risk jobs have to learn how to be good at them.

Should we sell toy guns in the first place? If he did not have a toy gun, then the police would have shot and killed him. A life was lost, and peoples’ lives on both sides will change. Thousands of dollars will be spent in an investigation and lawsuits if it happens.

With have to ask the NRA, will you agree that toy guns can be banned? Or would they say, you start with toy guns, and then you open the door to ban real guns. Therefore, children that do not know better will be shot by police that do not know better as well.

I had toy guns from a very early age and real ones by 10. Even as a toddler, there was always a loaded gun standing by the back door.
I have never pointed a gun at a cop.
The pellet pistol this idiot kid had was not to blame. It took the kid to pick it up, put it in his pocket and carry it to school. It's all on him. If my parents were capable of teaching me not to be an asshole, his were too.

Damn straight!!! Let's outlaw alcohol and cars too! And fatty foods!

They are a choice, a rational person that makes a rational lifestyle choice. It could be rational for their lifestyle, and not for others. They are free will. Is it free will, to have a pellet gun or a toy gun – only to be shot and killed by the police? Understand the rational argument, he should have understood he could be shot and kill with having a weapon. A pellet gun, a toy gun, they are still a weapon in one way or another. Anyway, are we not going down the rabbit hole, to place full blame on the person killed. Society, has to be ethically responsible.

YesIs it free will, to have a pellet gun or a toy gun – only to be shot and killed by the police? it is! The kid exercised his free will by taking the weapon to school, by punching another student and by pointing the gun at Law Enforcement Officers. He had every opportunity to put down his weapon, but he exercised his free will to be shot.

No society does not share the blame Society did not raise an idiot. If you want to spread culpability, blame his parents.

o, is it okay with you if a kid is going to the same school with your own kid, and one of your kids' classmate carried a gun to school, which looks like a glock, points it at a cop (or worse at another student), threatens to shoot, and nobody does anything to try and stop it

Oh sure, that is what is said or what others said who disagree. No. We are asking if there may have been a better way of handling this for the safety of all involved. It is the most reasonable question anyone can ask.

Some get it and some do not!

You are not asking any questions, You are stating that the cops were racist and that they were poorly trained. All with absolutely no evidence.

Fucking moron. hundreds of kids were in danger the cops did what they had because they believed the gun was real. IF it had been real and they had done nothing and kids died or were wounded you would be bitching about it.

Well, so much for the racism conspiracy theory:

Police release names of officers involved in Cummings Middle School shooting
January 10, 2012 5:44 PM
LAURA B. MARTINEZ AND MADELINE BUCKLEY/The Brownsville Herald

The Brownsville Police Department on Tuesday released the names of the officers involved in the shooting at Cummings Middle School that left a student dead.
The officers have been identified as Everardo Longoria, 36, the brother of city commissioner Ricardo Longoria, and Raul E. Cazares, 27.

The two shot and killed 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez, an eighth-grader, at the school campus after he pointed a weapon at the officers and refused to put it down, after repeatedly told to do so. The weapon Gonzalez brandished was later determined to be a pellet gun.

A preliminary autopsy report on Gonzalez indicated he died of the gunshot wounds he received to the chest and stomach.
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/articles/officers-135679-gonzalez-school.html

Very well, how do we eliminate all accidental deaths along these lines?

We are both rational, as we understand that children toys or, children that use a pellet gun – can be killed by law enforcement personal as an accidental death. Society, can only limit not outright change the wills of people to do stupid acts. The death of the child, the shooting of the police, and whatever point you want to downgrade – are parts of a whole. Recall, we are more than the sum of our parts. Society, government, cultural understanding: can only limit not outright have a perfect fail safe.

Shut up and get me a coffee. Black, one sugar.

We are both rational, as we understand that children toys or, children that use a pellet gun – can be killed by law enforcement personal as an accidental death. Society, can only limit not outright change the wills of people to do stupid acts. The death of the child, the shooting of the police, and whatever point you want to downgrade – are parts of a whole. Recall, we are more than the sum of our parts. Society, government, cultural understanding: can only limit not outright have a perfect fail safe.
So what exactly does society do about a teenager who waves around an object he passes off as a firearm in a school full of children?
Pull the trigger twice while aimed at center mass. If he doesn't fall, try again.

Shut up and get me a coffee. Black, one sugar.
You ain't getting change from that $20. Just letting you know.

The Brownsville Police Department on Tuesday released the names of the officers involved in the shooting at Cummings Middle School that left a student dead.
The officers have been identified as Everardo Longoria, 36, the brother of city commissioner Ricardo Longoria, and Raul E. Cazares, 27.

The two shot and killed 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez, an eighth-grader, at the school campus after he pointed a weapon at the officers and refused to put it down, after repeatedly told to do so. The weapon Gonzalez brandished was later determined to be a pellet gun.

A preliminary autopsy report on Gonzalez indicated he died of the gunshot wounds he received to the chest and stomach.

I am Sunshine will spin this to being somehow still racist. Maybe they were light skinned Hispanics and thought he was just a dark skinned wetback?

So what exactly does society do about a teenager who waves around an object he passes off as a firearm in a school full of children?

How did he get to the point to do such an act? It is not rational to say, he got up that morning and decided he was going to the school and wave a pellet gun and tell everyone it was a real firearm. Even if he was on drugs, even for the first time, there should have been red flags.

LOOK! a pellet gun IS a real gun. I have one very much like it here on my desk. At 10 feet, I could kill you with it.

I am Sunshine will spin this to being somehow still racist. Maybe they were light skinned Hispanics and thought he was just a dark skinned wetback?

Well, if you've seen the kid's photos, as published in the newspapers, he was pretty light-skinned himself, lol. :D

Forum List

Back