Texas secession petition on White House website fast approaching 25,000-signatures!

I'm sure we have all heard rumors about the movement within Texas to secede from the union and many scoff at the notion. However, with elections like the ones we just had, people tend to become more determined and purposeful.

Just for fun, what would happen if Texas seceded? What would be the reaction of the federal monster in DC and what would become of the people of Texas? Many may not know this, but Texas governed itself for 9 years before becoming annexed by the US government.

The Union kicked the Confederates/Seccesionists asses once. We will do it again.

Is leaving the Union Texas' first step to rejoining Mexico?

Is there a term Balkanization that applies?

They might be able to cut a sweetheart deal with Mexico. Could work out good for everyone.

Do I recall the Texas story right? A few hundred ppl started off there following a guy named Austin and cheap land. More including Sam Houston followed. The Mexicans saw this as an attempt for the US to annex Texas (as we had done to all the native lands so it is entirely realistic). Sam Houston loved the U.S. anyways. A war started. Mexico sucked. Texas was independant long enough for Houston to let the dust and slavery debate settle and joined the union?

That's close. The funny thing about that bit of history is how much it mirrors the current situation. The Mexicans actually invited the first wave or two of US immigrants - offering them free land and the like. They needed an eager influx of people to work the land and 'civilize' what was largely uncontrolled wilderness.

But then conservatives took over in Mexico City and decided to clamp down in the new immigrants - especially the non-Spanish speaking variety. Well, we've seen how "easy" it is to seal up a border when you have eager workers on one side and opportunity on the other.

I think there would be a delicious irony in Texas re-joining Mexico. And it could be a good thing for both entities - assuming they could find some consensus.

Last edited:
I'm sure we have all heard rumors about the movement within Texas to secede from the union and many scoff at the notion. However, with elections like the ones we just had, people tend to become more determined and purposeful.

Just for fun, what would happen if Texas seceded? What would be the reaction of the federal monster in DC and what would become of the people of Texas? Many may not know this, but Texas governed itself for 9 years before becoming annexed by the US government.

The Union kicked the Confederates/Seccesionists asses once. We will do it again.

Why?

Why?

Same reason as in 1861. To preserve the Union?

Texas did a very poor job of governing themselves. They had to beg to be accepted to the US

But, I would make a special exception for Texas and let them become North Mexico

Just as a thought here, the last time Texas tried this, it didn't turn out so well, and in fact the whole time Texas thought it was not part of the Union, the Federal Govt. saw Texas as a state without a Govt. and in rebellion. See Texas v. White, which is the current opinion that holds Texas in the Union not to mention a whole host of other issues from financial, to Military , etc. However, Texas does have the ability provided it's legislature approves to divide into several different states which would seem to me to be a much better solution if the plan is to enhance the political power of Texas.
While I an understand that the OP is proud of his home state and that makes sense, to advocate for leaving the Union while it might sound good , outside of some sort of invasion, or armed rebellion, it's not going to happen.

Is that worth killing Americans over?

If your wife decided she'd had enough and announced her intention to move out, would you just beat her ass until she conceded to "preserve the marriage"?

In 1861, South Carolina and the Confederacy fired on the Government first. The Union retaliated. As ludicrous as I believe this Texas secession movement is, our Government will not fire until fired upon.

When, therefore, Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation. All the obligations of perpetual union, and all the guaranties of republican government in the Union, attached at once to the State. The act which consummated her admission into the Union was something more than a compact; it was the incorporation of a new member into the political body. And it was final. The union between Texas and the other States was as complete, as perpetual, and as indissoluble as the union between the original States. There was no place for reconsideration or revocation, except through revolution or through consent of the States.

Texas v. White

If your wife decided she'd had enough and announced her intention to move out, would you just beat her ass until she conceded to "preserve the marriage"?

In 1861, South Carolina and the Confederacy fired on the Government first. The Union retaliated. As ludicrous as I believe this Texas secession movement is, our Government will not fire until fired upon.

I agree that Texas actually seceding is very unlikely, but I think you were probably right with your original comment. The US government would most certainly fire first, or at the very least provoke an incident that could be framed as "they started it". In any case, the authoritarians in DC wouldn't just let Texas "opt out"

My plan is this...

We let Texas secede and then cook up some false pretext to invade them. You know.....like they are harboring WMDs or something. We can't allow a hostile nation so close to us to have WMDs

We let Texas secede and then cook up some false pretext to invade them. You know.....like they are harboring WMDs or something. We can't allow a hostile nation so close to us to have WMDs

Exactly. Which is the biggest reason secession is unlikely. You wanna be a hammer? Or a nail?

Exactly. Which is the biggest reason secession is unlikely. You wanna be a hammer? Or a nail?

We can always make room for traitorous Texans in Gitmo

Oh Please....Oh Please Yes.

Note to Texas.

Your Military Equipment use by the National Guard is in fact Property of The U.S. Government.

You will not have any aircraft, tanks, cannon, rifles the list is endless.

And no, when Mexico Invades...you would be on your own.

Last edited:
Oh Please....Oh Please Yes.

Note to Texas.

Your Military Equipment use by the National Guard is in fact Property of The U.S. Government.

You will not have any aircraft, tanks, cannon, rifles the list is endless.

And no, when Mexico Invades...you would be on your own.

Texas will become North Mexico

So all along. Wasn't out of any convictions or anything. You just wanted to see the shit hit the fan and watch people kill each other and maybe participate a little yourself(without, you know, being a lone fucking murderer), so you rooted for the side most likely to happen.

It all makes sense now.

Fucking psychopath.

You sure draw a lot of assumptions based on a tongue in cheek post.

It was to you other post. I quoted the wrong one.

My statement stands.

Forum List

Back