Texas Open-Carry, Boys and their Deadly Toys.

Well look at the facts we know. Only about 230 criminals killed in defense each year. Only about 50 defenses makes the news each year. People who have had a DGU are rare, I don't know anyone.

The NCVS asks about crime which is what you need to have a DGU. And it does ask what happened very clearly so DGUs would be noted.

More than 50 DGU make the news per year, they just do not make front page headlines.

The reason there are only about 230 criminals killed in firearm justifiable homicide cases is for a couple of reasons--- the first is not really relevant to your point(but I will mention it merely for your edification), but the second is...

1.) FBI stats are based upon initial police reporting. Almost all legitimate self defense killings are not classified as self defense by the police, instead they classify it as a criminal homicide and defer a decision to the District Attorney who may or may not recommend prosecution. Even if the DA does recommend prosecution they can and do lose at trial based upon self defense. It is estimated that if you include the number of persons who were not prosecuted by the DA because of a determination of self defense by the DA and if you add the number of acquittals based upon self defense the number would increase by at least 500 to 750.

2.)The 2nd reason for the low body count, and of prime importance is that you rarely have to fire your weapon for there to be an effective DGU, merely cycling your Joe Biden approved shotgun will oft times have the desired effect, which is why the police only have about 450 justifiable homicides per year.

The fact remains that almost all researchers believe there are at least 500,000 dgu's per year.

Even with the internet, the NRA can only dig up maybe 50 a year. There aren't more making the news.

I think I'll believe the FBI number. But please link a valid source for your claim.

So what from reality supports so many gun defenses?

Who are these researchers? Link? Hemenway certainly knows it is less.

Yes we don't actually know how many there are. The NCVS says 108,000 per year which I think is the most accurate. Most gun surveys are tiny(5,000 or fewer surveyed) and filled with false positives. The NCVS study involves 90k households. There simply isn't any real world facts to support the huge numbers. You can't believe there are 800,000 DGUs a year, but only 230 criminals shot and killed in defense? Only about 50 make the news even though guns and crime make great stories?

The 1993 NCVS number is acknowledged by almost all researchers as understating the true number of DGU's because the participants in the study are never directly asked whether they used a gun for self-protection.

"Philip Cook, the director of Duke University's public policy institute, has examined the data behind the 108,000 and the 2.5 million figures and suspects the truth lies somewhere in between. "Many of the basic statistics about guns are in wide disagreement with each other depending on which source you go to," says Cook, a member of the apolitical National Consortium on Violence Research. "That's been a real puzzle to people who are trying to understand what's going on."

As I said, most researchers believe the actual number is at least 500,000 per year.

Well look at the facts we know. Only about 230 criminals killed in defense each year. Only about 50 defenses makes the news each year. People who have had a DGU are rare, I don't know anyone.

The NCVS asks about crime which is what you need to have a DGU. And it does ask what happened very clearly so DGUs would be noted.

Most people don't want to kill other people. The reason why there are so few DGU with fatalities I because people are nice and don't just shoot people because they can.

Yes we don't actually know how many there are. The NCVS says 108,000 per year which I think is the most accurate. Most gun surveys are tiny(5,000 or fewer surveyed) and filled with false positives. The NCVS study involves 90k households. There simply isn't any real world facts to support the huge numbers. You can't believe there are 800,000 DGUs a year, but only 230 criminals shot and killed in defense? Only about 50 make the news even though guns and crime make great stories?

The 1993 NCVS number is acknowledged by almost all researchers as understating the true number of DGU's because the participants in the study are never directly asked whether they used a gun for self-protection.

"Philip Cook, the director of Duke University's public policy institute, has examined the data behind the 108,000 and the 2.5 million figures and suspects the truth lies somewhere in between. "Many of the basic statistics about guns are in wide disagreement with each other depending on which source you go to," says Cook, a member of the apolitical National Consortium on Violence Research. "That's been a real puzzle to people who are trying to understand what's going on."

As I said, most researchers believe the actual number is at least 500,000 per year.

Most people don't want to kill other people. The reason why there are so few DGU with fatalities I because people are nice and don't just shoot people because they can.

On this very board there are people who can't wait to shoot a criminal. Certainly what you are saying is true for many people. To believe there are 2 million defenses each year you'd have to believe a criminal is shot and killed one out of every 8700 defenses. People just aren't that nice. Keep in mind that 500 people are accidently shot and killed each year.

I have supported all my numbers with links. Most of your studies are fantasy. Take your Kleck survey. 50 false positives on a survey turn into 2.5 million defenses. That is approximately 2.5 million imaginary defenses. They never actually happened. Even the 50 aren't confirmed in any way. And not an ounce of reality supports the huge numbers.

There is a dispute as to just how many DGU's occur per year. They range from a high of 3 million to a low of 500,000. Most researchers believe that there are at least 800,000 DGU's per year.

“Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year…in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.”

"PRIORITIES FOR RESEARCH TO REDUCE THE THREAT OF FIREARM-RELATED VIOLENCE" Report of CDC 2013 by the National Academy of Sciences.

Thanks, the studies I have show that the number is at least 764,000 times a year...do you have a link to this? Where did you get the 800,000 number and can you give me a link...I like to keep track of any study I can access easily....as you can see from the discussion above..thanks....

I have supported all my numbers with links. Most of your studies are fantasy. Take your Kleck survey. 50 false positives on a survey turn into 2.5 million defenses. That is approximately 2.5 million imaginary defenses. They never actually happened. Even the 50 aren't confirmed in any way. And not an ounce of reality supports the huge numbers.

There is a dispute as to just how many DGU's occur per year. They range from a high of 3 million to a low of 500,000. Most researchers believe that there are at least 800,000 DGU's per year.

“Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year…in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.”

"PRIORITIES FOR RESEARCH TO REDUCE THE THREAT OF FIREARM-RELATED VIOLENCE" Report of CDC 2013 by the National Academy of Sciences.

Brain, the National Crime Victimization Survey is not a defensive gun use survey...in fact, they don't even directly ask the respondents if they have ever used a gun for self defense....in the whole survey...so there is no way they can be anywhere near the truth.....since they are the only survey that puts the number that low.....

I know...you gun grabbers cling to that number because it is so low....but all the other research...40 years of it...show you are wrong....

It would be like asking people a car survey...and then asking how often they drive a car....and where they drive the car, and then if they say shopping, asking them what they bought at the store, and if they said juice...and you would claim that any number they came up with juice was the definitive number for juice consumption in the United States....

That would be no different than what you are claiming with the NCVS and defensive gun uses.....that is why it is not a tool for defensive gun uses....

Coward.....

Says the guy too scared to go anywhere without a gun...

Says the guy who wants women raped rather than allowing them to stop the rape with a gun....

Lying shows you are losing....

Brain, all you and your gun grabber buddies have are lies and emotion......Kleck is one of the best studies out there and his isn't even the only study...but since you can't touch his study you lie about it and then try to hide the number of studies actually done that show you are wrong...

I just averaged the studies......which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....
GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)
DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)
L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)
Kleck...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

-------------------------------------------
Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..
If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

And 11 of them say it is under 2 million. And the fact they all arrive at vastly different numbers shows how inaccurate a survey is for DGUs. If they were accurate they would all arrive at similar numbers. And again those numbers aren't supported by anything in reality. Only 230 criminals killed in defense each year. Only about 50 make the news a year. Your numbers have more crimes defended than committed...

They all arrive at numbers over 764,000....all 16 of them.....and then they fall between that and 3 million....

Coward.....

Says the guy who wants women raped rather than allowing them to stop the rape with a gun....

Brain, all you and your gun grabber buddies have are lies and emotion......Kleck is one of the best studies out there and his isn't even the only study...but since you can't touch his study you lie about it and then try to hide the number of studies actually done that show you are wrong...

I just averaged the studies......which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..
If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

And 11 of them say it is under 2 million. And the fact they all arrive at vastly different numbers shows how inaccurate a survey is for DGUs. If they were accurate they would all arrive at similar numbers. And again those numbers aren't supported by anything in reality. Only 230 criminals killed in defense each year. Only about 50 make the news a year. Your numbers have more crimes defended than committed...

The 230 number shows two things primarily....

1) criminals do not want to get shot and in the cases you see in the studies most crimnals run as soon as a victim presents a weapon with the intent to use it....you see it all the time in these stories, most recently a woman approached by 2 men with a bat who ran away when she showed her gun, the old lady who produced a gun and her robber ran away, the old man who produced a gun when the guy threatened to go back into their store where the wife was, and in all these cases...the criminal ran away, and no shots were fired...

2) As West Wall pointed out....no sociopath human beings, that is most citizens, do not want to shoot anyone...and only do so when there is no other option...

that is why only 230 criminals are killed by armed civilians....that is a sign of the restraint and control of the average citizen with a gun.....

You guys hate that number.....why? Because in your mind the average citizen is a barely controlled savage who can't wait to use their gun to kill their first human...that number shows you are wrong.....and you can't stand that because it also undermines you desire to ban guns....

And....more Americans own and carry guns than ever before....and the gun murder rate is going down, not up, and the accidental gun death rate is going down, not up...

And you guys really hate that stat.........with those numbers, if the general public knows about that, the pushes for more gun control will fail even more than they do now......

On this very board there are people who can't wait to shoot a criminal. Certainly what you are saying is true for many people. To believe there are 2 million defenses each year you'd have to believe a criminal is shot and killed one out of every 8700 defenses. People just aren't that nice. Keep in mind that 500 people are accidently shot and killed each year.

Yeah? So? They're in the minority and further, they are anonymous posters who could just as likely be lying to you.

More than 50 DGU make the news per year, they just do not make front page headlines.

The reason there are only about 230 criminals killed in firearm justifiable homicide cases is for a couple of reasons--- the first is not really relevant to your point(but I will mention it merely for your edification), but the second is...

1.) FBI stats are based upon initial police reporting. Almost all legitimate self defense killings are not classified as self defense by the police, instead they classify it as a criminal homicide and defer a decision to the District Attorney who may or may not recommend prosecution. Even if the DA does recommend prosecution they can and do lose at trial based upon self defense. It is estimated that if you include the number of persons who were not prosecuted by the DA because of a determination of self defense by the DA and if you add the number of acquittals based upon self defense the number would increase by at least 500 to 750.

2.)The 2nd reason for the low body count, and of prime importance is that you rarely have to fire your weapon for there to be an effective DGU, merely cycling your Joe Biden approved shotgun will oft times have the desired effect, which is why the police only have about 450 justifiable homicides per year.

The fact remains that almost all researchers believe there are at least 500,000 dgu's per year.

Even with the internet, the NRA can only dig up maybe 50 a year. There aren't more making the news.

I think I'll believe the FBI number. But please link a valid source for your claim.

Hemenway pushes the NCVS numbers because he is an anti gunner with ties to the anti gun lobby.....in the past he was closely connected with Hand Gun control Inc.

You have no clue brain....using dudes posting on the internet as your source for the desire of real human beings....law abiding, normal, non sociopaths to shoot or not shoot violent criminals is how you measure it......as was pointed out even the police...who have to not just drive off an attack, but pursue the violent attacker and capture them don't kill that much considering the population size....and thanks for the number Legal Eagle.....

Not quite.

Just because the gun was used in self defense, doesn't mean that a bullet was shot.

The majority of criminals fear armed citizens more than the police according to a study.

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...72579b80079912d/$FILE/SenState0305AttachB.pdf

And speaking as a member of the Sheriff's Auxiliary Volunteers, many police fear armed citizens more than they fear criminals.

No....only gun grabbing cops do...I know police and they all support people having guns for self defense...they know they can't be there when the threat is real.......

The majority of criminals fear armed citizens more than the police according to a study.

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...72579b80079912d/$FILE/SenState0305AttachB.pdf

And speaking as a member of the Sheriff's Auxiliary Volunteers, many police fear armed citizens more than they fear criminals.

:eusa_eh:That doesn't make sense. Armed criminals are probably also armed citizens.

They should fear armed citizen criminals and non citizen armed criminals.

Non criminal citizens fear armed criminal citizens as well.

At least in Michigan people who have a Concealed Pistol License have had a background check and training.

And they are foolish if they do....and more than likely gun grabbers by nature.....law abiding people aren't shooting cops....the felons who just got out of jail are.....

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

They all arrive at numbers over 764,000....all 16 of them.....and then they fall between that and 3 million....

Yet you claim 2 million. Pretty silly when 11 say it is lower.

So what fact from the real world should make me think they are true? None of your researchers can even agree and the vastly different numbers show they aren't accurate.

You have no clue brain....using dudes posting on the internet as your source for the desire of real human beings....law abiding, normal, non sociopaths to shoot or not shoot violent criminals is how you measure it......as was pointed out even the police...who have to not just drive off an attack, but pursue the violent attacker and capture them don't kill that much considering the population size....and thanks for the number Legal Eagle.....

I've shown you a study where a criminal is killed in 30% of defenses. Half the defenses you post end in death.

Hemenway pushes the NCVS numbers because he is an anti gunner with ties to the anti gun lobby.....in the past he was closely connected with Hand Gun control Inc.

And he's also right.

Forum List

Back