Tesla financial disaster!!!

Is there any doubt that more EVs on the road would be good for the economy, the consumer, and the environment?

I get why the car dealers are pissed. Tesla doesn't do dealerships. But jeez, this kind of hostility towards new technology is insane.

And spare me the "Let the market decide". That works great if you are already in the market. Tesla has started from scratch and in less than 10 years has become a well known commodity. The technology is cutting edge. The cars are safer than almost any car on the road. The fuel is produced right here in the USA.
Hostile to welfare for the rich

You mean like bailing out GM?

And it is only welfare if you get money from taxes paid by someone else. This is letting someone keep $7,500 of the money they earned. And for buying a car that is good for the future, good for the environment, and good for reducing our dependence on foreign oil.
Was against that too......next

As was I. But the tax break did more than let rich people keep more of the money they earned. It also encouraged buying EVs, which have long term benefits to everyone.
So they say......lot of toxic waste in all those big batts

More like 7k small batteries. And much of that can be recycled. And, being solids, the waste is more easily contained and controlled. As opposed to say, all the various fluids put in, and spilled from, combustion engine vehicles.

Is there any doubt that more EVs on the road would be good for the economy, the consumer, and the environment?

I get why the car dealers are pissed. Tesla doesn't do dealerships. But jeez, this kind of hostility towards new technology is insane.

And spare me the "Let the market decide". That works great if you are already in the market. Tesla has started from scratch and in less than 10 years has become a well known commodity. The technology is cutting edge. The cars are safer than almost any car on the road. The fuel is produced right here in the USA.
Hostile to welfare for the rich

You mean like bailing out GM?

And it is only welfare if you get money from taxes paid by someone else. This is letting someone keep $7,500 of the money they earned. And for buying a car that is good for the future, good for the environment, and good for reducing our dependence on foreign oil.
Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies

That figure includes the solar company and the space company. And Musk has put $10b of his own money on the line.

Plus, the $4.9b figure includes reduced taxes for the production plants ect. This is routinely done for many foreign companies building in the US. And almost any large facility can get huge breaks from state and local gov'ts.

And look at what the gov't spends outright on the military.

One thing I cannot understand is why the hatred for Tesla? All the people calling it "ghey" or whatever.

If you don't like the car, don't buy one. If it is the money, look at where the gov't really wastes it. This is pocket change by comparison.

It seems like ignorance to me. And Teslas are all over Atlanta.

Killing the tax break is a mistake. But if anyone thinks taking away a $7,500 tax break will make people not buy a $100k to $160k car, they have lost their mind.

Why? The rich are getting a subsidy from the poor people who can't afford a Tesla in their wildest dreams. EVERYONE pays extra so that those who buy a Tesla can get a rebate. That's bullshit. If the vehicle is so good let the rich people who buy them, PAY FOR THEM!

One thing I cannot understand is why the hatred for Tesla? All the people calling it "ghey" or whatever.

If you don't like the car, don't buy one. If it is the money, look at where the gov't really wastes it. This is pocket change by comparison.

Killing the tax break is a mistake. But if anyone thinks taking away a $7,500 tax break will make people not buy a $100k to $160k car, they have lost their mind.

Why should those of us who either do not want an electric car at current technology, or, if we do want one, cannot afford it, have to pay taxes to subsidize those who do want and can afford them?

When the technology is ready for mainstream, it will sell on its own merits without big brother artificially propping it up.

High end German automakers are coming out with EV and hybrids that will eat his lunch.

Why? The rich are getting a subsidy from the poor people who can't afford a Tesla in their wildest dreams. EVERYONE pays extra so that those who buy a Tesla can get a rebate. That's bullshit. If the vehicle is so good let the rich people who buy them, PAY FOR THEM!

Bcause being dependent on foriegn oil is bad for everyone. Why do you think Saudi Arabia gets such special treatment when they have financed terrorism and their people participate in it globally.

All new technology is expensive. My brother was given a VCR by his father-in-law when it was still new tech. It cost over $5k.

And it is not just the removal of the rebates. How many states will not allow Tesla to sell cars there because they do not use dealerships?

Why should those of us who either do not want an electric car at current technology, or, if we do want one, cannot afford it, have to pay taxes to subsidize those who do want and can afford them?

When the technology is ready for mainstream, it will sell on its own merits without big brother artificially propping it up.

Do you really think a $7,500 tax REBATE will cost you much?

And how does a car manufacturer get the technology ready for the mainstream? Especially when there is active resistance from other manufacturers and very well funded resistence from car dealership groups? Bringing an entirely new car to the market is not going to happen without subsidies. When was the last time a new car company was started? The Tucker?

High end German automakers are coming out with EV and hybrids that will eat his lunch.

And using technology that Tesla created.

Also, the German gov't provides huge incentives, subsidies and tax breaks for car manufacturers of all types, and are virtually funding the EV development there. I guess that would help them compete, wouldn't it?

And so far, none of them are eating his lunch. And BMW, Mercedes, and other have extensive production facilities in place. Tesla started from scratch in 2008.

But I guess innovation isn't an American value like it once was.

"Parent Companies Receiving More Than $500M Since 2000
Parent Company Federal Grants and Allocated Tax Credits
Iberdrola $2,172,641,752
NextEra Energy $1,938,811,949
NRG Energy $1,730,060,410
Southern Company $1,475,553,962
Summit Power $1,441,936,555
SCS Energy $1,254,154,000
Tenaska $966,252,326
Duke Energy $898,436,173
General Electric $836,524,548
Exelon $734,674,010
EDP-Energias de Portugal $722,468,855
Leucadia National $651,647,087
SunEdison $649,564,635
General Atomics $614,658,667
Abengoa $605,128,646
Air Products & Chemicals $604,170,312
Ameren $594,809,786
E.ON $576,149,728
AES $566,920,950
Invenergy $531,915,559
General Motors $529,398,581"

But Tesla is the problem? Funny, I don't see anyone screaming about these companies.

Also, the German gov't provides huge incentives, subsidies and tax breaks for car manufacturers of all types, and are virtually funding the EV development there. I guess that would help them compete, wouldn't it?

And so far, none of them are eating his lunch. And BMW, Mercedes, and other have extensive production facilities in place. Tesla started from scratch in 2008.

not

Most innvators dont need a constant supply of govt money

Bcause being dependent on foriegn oil is bad for everyone. Why do you think Saudi Arabia gets such special treatment when they have financed terrorism and their people participate in it globally.

All new technology is expensive. My brother was given a VCR by his father-in-law when it was still new tech. It cost over $5k.

And it is not just the removal of the rebates. How many states will not allow Tesla to sell cars there because they do not use dealerships?

I agree that Tesla should be allowed to use its own business model to sell cars. It is wrong for the States to interfere, but it is absolute bullpoo that wealthy people, are getting a huge subsidy paid for by the poor and the middle class. That is horse poo of the first order.

Iberdrola $2,172,641,752
Tenaska $966,252,326
Duke Energy $898,436,173
Exelon $734,674,010
SunEdison $649,564,635
Abengoa $605,128,646
Ameren $594,809,786
E.ON $576,149,728
AES $566,920,950
Invenergy $531,915,559

But Tesla is the problem? Funny, I don't see anyone screaming about these companies.

That's because those companies provide products that EVERYONE uses. And, EVERYONE pays for them. It is not the wealthy benefiting from the taxes, and fee's, paid by the poor and the middle class.

Emergent Tech
Tesla share crash amid Republican bid to kill off electric car tax break
Didn't help that the automaker's financial results also sucked
By Kieren McCarthy in San Francisco 2 Nov 2017 at 18:47

Tesla's share price took a dive Thursday morning as Republicans in Congress revealed they were planning to kill off a US federal tax credit for electric vehicles.

The proposed House tax bill calls for an immediate repeal of the $7,500-per-vehicle credit: something that would have an immediate knock-on impact for Tesla given that it only produces electric cars.

Been saying for years.........EV's are ghey. Nobody wants these cars.:bye1:

But even I am surprised..........671 million in losses this past quarter!!!:ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1:

fAiL

This is the US government failing to look to the future. Almost certainly because oil companies give the Republicans way too much money and many Republicans are oil people too. They don't want to see this industry disappear, they're willing to put profit ahead of anything else and they want to kill this.

You have Pharma companies making an absolute killing because the US govt invests nearly $70 billion in science funding. Much of this funding helps scientists do experiments on things that are not profitable for private companies. Once the govt funded scientists have made something that can be used by the Pharma companies they take it (and then demand not to pay taxes) and turn it into something they can sell for lots of money.

This is the US govt thinking about how they can spend money to benefit the US and US companies.

Why wouldn't they do this with green industries?

Like I said, it's special interests over the interests of the US people.

Isn't it time the US people took control of their own government?

Emergent Tech
Didn't help that the automaker's financial results also sucked
By Kieren McCarthy in San Francisco 2 Nov 2017 at 18:47

Tesla's share price took a dive Thursday morning as Republicans in Congress revealed they were planning to kill off a US federal tax credit for electric vehicles.

The proposed House tax bill calls for an immediate repeal of the $7,500-per-vehicle credit: something that would have an immediate knock-on impact for Tesla given that it only produces electric cars.

Been saying for years.........EV's are ghey. Nobody wants these cars.:bye1:

But even I am surprised..........671 million in losses this past quarter!!!:ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1::ack-1:

fAiL

This is the US government failing to look to the future. Almost certainly because oil companies give the Republicans way too much money and many Republicans are oil people too. They don't want to see this industry disappear, they're willing to put profit ahead of anything else and they want to kill this.

You have Pharma companies making an absolute killing because the US govt invests nearly $70 billion in science funding. Much of this funding helps scientists do experiments on things that are not profitable for private companies. Once the govt funded scientists have made something that can be used by the Pharma companies they take it (and then demand not to pay taxes) and turn it into something they can sell for lots of money.

This is the US govt thinking about how they can spend money to benefit the US and US companies.

Why wouldn't they do this with green industries?

Like I said, it's special interests over the interests of the US people.

Isn't it time the US people took control of their own government?

You might want to look at the realities of the technology than the fantasy that you wish to peddle. If EV's were as great as the claims about them, they would ALREADY be the dominant selling vehicles. They aren't. There is a reason why governments are having to mandate their usage and that's because they aren't very good. They are terrible for the environment because the battery manufacturing process is far more toxic than oil or coal. There is nowhere near enough grid capacity to charge all of the cars the dreamers want to inflict on people. So, the majority of people won't be able to afford them, thus the people get forced into Public Transport and the end goal becomes plain, control of people and a nice free road unencumbered by the "chattering class" for the rich to enjoy.

The government should not be giving tax breaks for cars. If the government didn't waste all these small amounts of money we would be in better shape fiscally.

Most innvators dont need a constant supply of govt money

Most innovators are not trying to design, build, market and sell a totally new line of cars.

The government should not be giving tax breaks for cars. If the government didn't waste all these small amounts of money we would be in better shape fiscally.

Now THAT is a pipedream that make Elon Musk look like an amateur.

The gov't spends more than it makes, every year. The military budget alone is so full of waste and pork as to be nearly obscene. Cut the spending in one spot and it will be spent in another.

Iberdrola $2,172,641,752
Tenaska $966,252,326
Duke Energy $898,436,173
Exelon $734,674,010
SunEdison $649,564,635
Abengoa $605,128,646
Ameren $594,809,786
E.ON $576,149,728
AES $566,920,950
Invenergy $531,915,559

ALL OF THOSE COMPANIES WERE RECEIVING MONIES FROM THEIR OWN EV's'. This reduction of tax credits will hit all the companies across the board. Telsa was given an extremely high percentage of tax credits because of the donor status to democrats. Those special interest cut outs that you dems purport to so hate? Yet they are ok if it forwards your agenda...

Forum List

Back