Term Limits? How Would That Affect the so-called "Deep State"?

Term limits won't effect the deep state at all.
Yeah; that was the point of the thread...should we have "term limits" for every government employee? If Betty in accounting is able to sway the entire agency as you guys pretend she is able to....having her replaced periodically would seem to remedy that right?
Term limits only insure different Republicans and Democrats take office, to give us the exact same as what we already have. The only difference will be we will have to keep on changing name plates on all the office doors. Everything else will remain unchanged.
I totally agree.

We've almost completely changed the personnel in Congress from 1990 or so. There may be a few who are still there but most are gone. Is corruption a lot worse or better? Most would say it's the same.

Yeah; that was the point of the thread...should we have "term limits" for every government employee? If Betty in accounting is able to sway the entire agency as you guys pretend she is able to....having her replaced periodically would seem to remedy that right?

I totally agree.

We've almost completely changed the personnel in Congress from 1990 or so. There may be a few who are still there but most are gone. Is corruption a lot worse or better? Most would say it's the same.
It's at least nice to know that you finally aren't denying there is a deep state. That's what I call progress.

It's at least nice to know that you finally aren't denying there is a deep state. That's what I call progress.
Boy did you read that wrong.

There is no "deep state". What we have is a bunch of programmable idiots like yourself who believe whatever their cult leader says. Replace "deep state" with Jews and you have a mirror image of the beginnings of the third reich.

I'm just amused that you guys need bring up term limits for federal employees--the guys you think have all of the power in these agencies but somehow can never identify them.

Boy did you read that wrong.

There is no "deep state". What we have is a bunch of programmable idiots like yourself who believe whatever their cult leader says. Replace "deep state" with Jews and you have a mirror image of the beginnings of the third reich.

I'm just amused that you guys need bring up term limits for federal employees--the guys you think have all of the power in these agencies but somehow can never identify them.
Of course there is a deep state, whether it is Republicans in office or Democrats. And, an 8 year president has a bigger deep state than a four year president. You'll understand more after Trump wins and replaces the dem deep state with a republican deep state.

Of course there is a deep state, whether it is Republicans in office or Democrats. And, an 8 year president has a bigger deep state than a four year president. You'll understand more after Trump wins and replaces the dem deep state with a republican deep state.
And amazingly he didn't do that the first time around????

I guess he didn't know about this "deep state" when he was in office.

His boy did.

trump.jr_.png

And amazingly he didn't do that the first time around????

I guess he didn't know about this "deep state" when he was in office.

His boy did.

trump.jr_.png
LOL. Who do you think Bill Barr was? As I said, an 8 year president can make a bigger deep state than a 4 year president.

Term limits won't effect the deep state at all. Term limits only insure different Republicans and Democrats take office, to give us the exact same as what we already have. The only difference will be we will have to keep on changing name plates on all the office doors. Everything else will remain unchanged.

The Lobbyists will remain the same

Here is an odd way I’d like things to work. We don't have a term limits problem, we have an incumbency problem. Now bear with me here.

#1 No elected official in the Congress or the President is eligible for election in any other Federal elected position until at least 1 year has passed from the end of their current or 1 year after leaving their current Federally elected position through retirement, resignation, or expulsion.

#2 No elected official may campaign or raise campaign funds while holding any Federally elected office.
There would be no term limits on Presidents or members of Congress, however no individual may serve consecutive terms in any Federal elected position even if the positions are different.

That means the President and members of Congress must leave the White House and Congress for at least 1 year before they can run for election again.

There would be no “incumbent” advantage as each seat starts with a clean slate.

Maybe if Presidents and members of Congress were more concerned about doing their jobs instead of raising campaign funds on the taxpayers time and running for reelection. Get elected, do your job, leave and run again after a break on your own time.

WW

There is currently a discussion about term limits. I'm against term limits. The reason is two fold. First off...if you look at the folks who were in charge when you were growing up 30-40 years ago and you look at the elected officials of today; you'll find that with very few exceptions there are new faces and new names. Did the "corruption" go away with new faces? Nope. So thinking that it will go away if you force by statute a revolving door of new faces is rather silly. In fact, it will likely make corruption more of an issue since, if you want to look at it from the standpoint of an employer, employees who remain at their job longer are less apt to become corrupt and corrupt employees are usually discovered pretty quickly and terminated. The second reason is this. If I like my rep; I want to continue voting for her or him.

Most of the silly angst I hear on this board is usually about something those on the right call "the deep state." It has become their crutch (aka excuse) to explain whatever outcome they don't favor. You can't get a straight answer from anyone about what the "deep state" is but most often it is called the un-elected appointed officials who remain at their jobs and are able to make all sorts of mischief counter to the wishes of whatever conservative overlord is installed.

My question is this. Shouldn't there be "term limits" for these folks too--all government employees? Postal workers, teachers, the lady at the DMV, the guys in the NRO, CIA etc...
here's my thinking ... term limits are a Republican plan ... here's their thinking ... right now we have a really strong Democrat in that seat and we Republicans will never take that seat ... if we limit the time in office we can get a strong Republican in that seat if we get a week democrat running ... that is the only reason republicans want term limits ... tthey can't beat that person in office ...they can give you all kinds of reason to convince the public we should have term limits... the fact of the matters is they want a strong republican to beat out the new democrat trying to win that seat ... now by doing this Republican with all of their gerrymandering and term limits they will take over the house and the supermajority in the senate ... that's the only way they can do it ... so they can control the house senat and possibly the white house ... we would be fucked as Americans...

Term Limits is just a BS wedge issue...
So says a scumbag who has a vested interest in preventing term limits and keeping his favored corrupt douchebag in office.

Term Limits means having less experience people running your country...
The only experience they have is in log rolling, back slapping, lying to the voters and swindling elections,

This would mean Party machine & Civil Servants would increase their power as they would possess knowledge... Vast majority of areas in US are not competitive so the party machines will be passing out jobs for the loyalists to the machine..

What US needs is multi-seat districts and preference voting... Suddenly the map really does move... US would have at least 5 parties within 12 years with seats in Congress.. Independents would expand massively...

Hogwash.

here's my thinking ... term limits are a Republican plan ... here's their thinking ... right now we have a really strong Democrat in that seat and we Republicans will never take that seat ... if we limit the time in office we can get a strong Republican in that seat if we get a week democrat running ... that is the only reason republicans want term limits ... tthey can't beat that person in office ...they can give you all kinds of reason to convince the public we should have term limits... the fact of the matters is they want a strong republican to beat out the new democrat trying to win that seat ... now by doing this Republican with all of their gerrymandering and term limits they will take over the house and the supermajority in the senate ... that's the only way they can do it ... so they can control the house senat and possibly the white house ... we would be fucked as Americans...
Exactly right.
If you are running a new guy that nobody knows against an old guy that everyone knows and likes, you are going to lose.

If you run a new guy against another new guy, your chances increase significantly

And every President gets to pick the heads of the departments and cabinet secretaries. I think our problem is that saying you'll clean house gets you elected but once elected you find the house is not really in need of cleaning once the political appointees are gone.
Biden and the scum defending him prove Congress does need to clean house

I've been up since 6PM yesterday. I can't follow what you wrote...I have to read it a few times.

It`s not only the nutty "deep state" making their lives miserable, they like to blame the evil "librul media" for their never ending misery.
what I'm going to say next Republicans hate it big time ... here I go...

there's no such thing as the liberal press ... however, there is such of a thing as the press they don't like ...
the press in my entire life, I was born in 51 and started becoming interested in politics at the age of 16 ... that time Johnson was president and was pushing the Vietnam War... prior to that, the 1960s election was the first that kind of caught my eye ... from then on every time a republican got caught doing something wrong out came Nixon's rant of the liberal press ... from then on every time something that was written or aired something in the press about republicans who just got caught their rant was its the liberal press ... we did nothing wrong they are attacking us for no reason ... oh no!!!! it's not the press we don't like it's them damn liberals catching us ... hence, there's no such thing as the liberal press ... however, there is such of a thing as the press they don't like ...

The AG? He was the AG right? Are you saying he was a member of this "deep state"?
No idiot.

what I'm going to say next Republicans hate it big time ... here I go...

there's no such thing as the liberal press ... however, there is such of a thing as the press they don't like ...
the press in my entire life, I was born in 51 and started becoming interested in politics at the age of 16 ... that time Johnson was president and was pushing the Vietnam War... prior to that, the 1960s election was the first that kind of caught my eye ... from then on every time a republican got caught doing something wrong out came Nixon's rant of the liberal press ... from then on every time something that was written or aired something in the press about republicans who just got caught their rant was its the liberal press ... we did nothing wrong they are attacking us for no reason ... oh no!!!! it's not the press we don't like it's them damn liberals catching us ... hence, there's no such thing as the liberal press ... however, there is such of a thing as the press they don't like ...
Republicans turn on whoever is stopping them from doing what they want to do

If the press is reporting what they say or do….It is a Liberal Press
If the courts block what they want to do….It is a Liberal Court
If the voters oppose them in an election….It is a stolen election
If science opposes their agenda…..they have a liberal bias

Forum List

Back