Tempest Over Obama's Tea Cup Salute

A civilian president should not be saluting anyway

I have seen many an officer give a half-assed salute in return for an enlisted mans salute

He's the CIC of the military, it's appropriate and a well established tradition in the military, but no one expects a POS like you to know that!

The President is not a member of the military, he's a civilian. Presidents saluting is nothing more than a PR stunt, started by Reagan. But I don't expect a piece of shit like you to know that.

He's the COMMANDER of our military asshole, live with it, and traditions of RESPECT that the obomanation know NOTHING about...he can't even spell it correctly!

"Presidents have long been saluted, but they began returning salutes relatively recently. Ronald Reagan was thought to be the first, in 1981. He had sought advice on the matter from Gen. Robert Barrow, commandant of the Marine Corps. According to John Kline, then Mr. Reagan’s military aide and today a member of Congress from Minnesota, General Barrow told the president that as commander in chief he could salute anybody he wished. And so it began.

I saw a videotape of the president’s midnight trip to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, where he had participated, very early that morning, in the “dignified transfer” of 15 Army soldiers and three Drug Enforcement Administration agents killed that week in Afghanistan. Mr. Obama stood ramrod straight and saluted as six soldiers carried the coffin bearing the body of Sgt. Dale Griffin of Indiana off a C-17 transport aircraft and into a waiting van. His salute, it struck me, was impeccable in every way."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/opinion/01winfrey.html?_r=0

Obama knew better than to salute the way he did this time.

He just gets so busy thinking about himself, he forgets.
do you expect the president to stop everything he's doing every time he sees a servicemen and salute?

Not necessarily, but these particular ones helped him get around in a helicopter and provide a measure of protection for him. A little gratitude with a salute is not asking too much.
he gave them a salute. do you think out of the hundreds, perhaps thousands of times yearly the president gets on and off of marine one that it's possible, just possible, that the routine of it for all parties makes things a bit more comfortable and relaxed?

ByRPFKjIgAAzJfh.jpg-large.jpeg

And yet, he refused to salute those who came home in coffins.

Very few came home in coffins. Less than 600. It wasn't until obama took office that the real slaughter began. And that, by his design.
Very few came home in coffins. Less than 600. It wasn't until obama took office that the real slaughter began. And that, by his design.

Someone is detached from reality

Out of RESPECT, Bush did not allow photo's of the dead.... Talk about out of touch with reality!
More like fear of losing support for his crusade.

A civilian president should not be saluting anyway

I have seen many an officer give a half-assed salute in return for an enlisted mans salute

He's the CIC of the military, it's appropriate and a well established tradition in the military, but no one expects a POS like you to know that!

The President is not a member of the military, he's a civilian. Presidents saluting is nothing more than a PR stunt, started by Reagan. But I don't expect a piece of shit like you to know that.

He's the COMMANDER of our military asshole, live with it, and traditions of RESPECT that the obomanation know NOTHING about...he can't even spell it correctly!

"Presidents have long been saluted, but they began returning salutes relatively recently. Ronald Reagan was thought to be the first, in 1981. He had sought advice on the matter from Gen. Robert Barrow, commandant of the Marine Corps. According to John Kline, then Mr. Reagan’s military aide and today a member of Congress from Minnesota, General Barrow told the president that as commander in chief he could salute anybody he wished. And so it began.

I saw a videotape of the president’s midnight trip to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, where he had participated, very early that morning, in the “dignified transfer” of 15 Army soldiers and three Drug Enforcement Administration agents killed that week in Afghanistan. Mr. Obama stood ramrod straight and saluted as six soldiers carried the coffin bearing the body of Sgt. Dale Griffin of Indiana off a C-17 transport aircraft and into a waiting van. His salute, it struck me, was impeccable in every way."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/opinion/01winfrey.html?_r=0

Obama knew better than to salute the way he did this time.
Like all Raygun's traditions, it's demented.

This is another example of how Obama was not properly vetted by the media before becoming president. Women drink hot tea. Men drink coffee.

So what if the Marines get relaxed about helicopter maintenance or security? Look this jackass is desparate for looking Presidental. Firing a salute at Marines helps that cause, but he's too dense to even figure that out.

So what if the Marines get relaxed about helicopter maintenance or security? t.
right. that's completely the same thing.
of course they are completely different. The analogy is immature.

What bothers me about it is the fact that he did NOT have to give a half assed salute. He had his other hand free. Would he have done it to an international soldier who saluted him as his disembarked Air Force 1 on foreign soil? Of course not. It would be deemed by the host country as a sign of disrespect. I am curious why he had the wherewithal to NOT spill it as he saluted, but not the wherewithal to simply switch hands.

You do not find that curious?

What bothers me about it is the fact that he did NOT have to give a half assed salute. He had his other hand free. Would he have done it to an international soldier who saluted him as his disembarked Air Force 1 on foreign soil? Of course not. It would be deemed by the host country as a sign of disrespect. I am curious why he had the wherewithal to NOT spill it as he saluted, but not the wherewithal to simply switch hands.

you've built this hypothetical, claim it's without reproach, and then want someone to argue against it.

again, we're talking about one incident out of hundreds if not thousands of occurrences. how upset should we really be?

you've built this hypothetical, claim it's without reproach, and then want someone to argue against it.

again, we're talking about one incident out of hundreds if not thousands of occurrences. how upset should we really be?
It was the timing of it. There is no argument that he presented himself as a President of peace, not a President of war. He put his ideological views aside and has engaged in a necessary war against ISIL. I commend him for it.
But THAT is the time he opts to "mis step" with a salute? Right after giving the order for our troops to engage in war?
Just very poor and ill advised timing.

Mu
Tempest over Obama's tea cup salute: Commander-in-chief sparks anger by saluting Marines with drink in his hand
  • President was exiting his Marine One helicopter after landing in New York City for speeches about global warming and fighting ISIS in Syria
  • Commander-in-chief is a military title that entitles Obama to a salute, and he's expected to return the gesture
  • On Tuesday he saluted two uniformed US Marines while holding a cup in his hand, a breach that won't win him fans among veterans or servicemen
  • Twitter erupted with the president's indignant detractors
  • The White House put a short video of his arrival in New York on its own Instagram page, creating a public gaffe that no photographer had shown

President Barack Obama saluted a pair of United States Marines on Tuesday while holding what appeared to be a styrofoam cup in his saluting hand, a breach of military regulations that won't win him fans among veterans and servicemen.

Obama is known for drinking tea, not coffee, when he travels, especially before delivering speeches.

His quasi-saluting gesture was an instant embarrassment for the White House, and not because his environmentally taboo drinkware clashed with the green-policy speech he was on his way to deliver at a UN Climate Summit.

1411516838039_wps_1_Americans_weren_t_amused_.jpg

1411505614316_wps_5_Americans_including_those.jpg

1411505608159_wps_4_JUDGMENT_With_no_news_pho.jpg

Read more: Tempest over Obama s tea cup salute Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What an absolute disaster liberals are.
Much ado about nothing. People looking to find fault. It just makes them look small, peevish and petty.
c

Mu
Tempest over Obama's tea cup salute: Commander-in-chief sparks anger by saluting Marines with drink in his hand
  • President was exiting his Marine One helicopter after landing in New York City for speeches about global warming and fighting ISIS in Syria
  • Commander-in-chief is a military title that entitles Obama to a salute, and he's expected to return the gesture
  • On Tuesday he saluted two uniformed US Marines while holding a cup in his hand, a breach that won't win him fans among veterans or servicemen
  • Twitter erupted with the president's indignant detractors
  • The White House put a short video of his arrival in New York on its own Instagram page, creating a public gaffe that no photographer had shown

President Barack Obama saluted a pair of United States Marines on Tuesday while holding what appeared to be a styrofoam cup in his saluting hand, a breach of military regulations that won't win him fans among veterans and servicemen.

Obama is known for drinking tea, not coffee, when he travels, especially before delivering speeches.

His quasi-saluting gesture was an instant embarrassment for the White House, and not because his environmentally taboo drinkware clashed with the green-policy speech he was on his way to deliver at a UN Climate Summit.

1411516838039_wps_1_Americans_weren_t_amused_.jpg

1411505614316_wps_5_Americans_including_those.jpg

1411505608159_wps_4_JUDGMENT_With_no_news_pho.jpg

Read more: Tempest over Obama s tea cup salute Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What an absolute disaster liberals are.
Much ado about nothing. People looking to find fault. It just makes them look small, peevish and petty.
c
yeap

Oh, how terrible.

He chews gum at important events, takes selfies at funerals, and salutes Marines with a cup in his hand.

Look folks, this guy does plenty of stuff that is disrespectful and just plain stupid. Let's not go overboard by criticizing petty stuff like this.

My absolute thought!

Great minds...

:D

Forum List

Back