Tell me again about the war on Christians

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by BDBoop, Apr 25, 2012.

1. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Actually, this is a good thing. Because South Dakota won't let a woman get an abortion until she's had anti-abortion counseling - this place would be the third. In the entire state. Wonderful odds, though since there is only one Planned Parenthood in all of South Dakota.

So my question of course is this: How do they qualify for federal funding? They even got $34k from the President's stimulus. Well done, Mr. President.

It's a wonderful article. Enjoy. Well - you know. If you actually read, and don't just knee-jerk react.

http://www.alternet.org/story/15512...tax_dollars?akid=8643.1068945.2GYxeZ&rd=1&t=2

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Funny how they think that only non-believers would need counseling.

3. Caroljo

Caroljo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    It's surprising they're getting away with this...
    How can they do it if they're federally funded, to require someone to be a Christian to be hired is discrimination. I'm Christian, but i don't understand this or agree with it....

4. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Beats me. I should think there are plenty of pro-life muslims, atheists, jews, etc who would be a welcome addition to the center(s).

5. Not2BSubjugated

Not2BSubjugated Callous Individualist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    If they were hiring people with those filters I'm sure it would be. Note, however, the use of the term "volunteer". It's hard to make the argument in court that someone not letting you volunteer for something did any sort of harm to you.

Seems like a silly basis to want them stripped of funds, if you're the type of person that believes that the government should be using tax dollars to fund random charities in the first place. A better question, if that last condition is true for you, is whether or not, as a charity, this group is actually doing something that benefits the community.

6. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Is it charity, or is it profitting off of others misery?

7. Not2BSubjugated

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Seems hard to equate counselling someone with an unplanned pregnancy to take what you consider to be the necessary moral high ground, to profiting off of misery.

Also, on a side note, there's nothing wrong with profiting off of misery, so long as you're not the one causing the misery. Misery, frustration, need, want, and the rest of the entire range of degrees of dissatisfaction are what drive desire and innovation and, therefore, every single exchange of goods and services that happens.

8. nitroz

nitroz INDEPENDENTly ruthless

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jb9HkcBPks&feature=g-vrec]Rick Perry defends anti-gay ad 'Strong', says people should not have 'freedom from religion' - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Tkmnm1y2A&feature=plcp]Christians Want Gay People Fired - YouTube[/ame]

and it will breed people like this. (and how some forum-goers act)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSKReGF6Iww&feature=plcp]Unstable Christian Lady in Coffee Shop - YouTube[/ame]

9. Not2BSubjugated

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Ehh, can't blame Christianity for people like Rick Perry saying stupid shit and making comparisons that don't make a shit bit of sense. You may be able to attribute some of his particular views to popular Christian values, but if Rick Perry were Muslim, in stead, he'd be a stupid Muslim, and if he were an atheist, he'd be a stupid atheist, and he'd still be making ridiculous comparisons that don't make sense, he'd just be using them to support a different doctrine.

Religion doesn't breed stupidity. Religion just gives stupidity more stuff to talk about.

10. nitroz

nitroz INDEPENDENTly ruthless

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Religion manipulates stupidity into more stupidity.
    They could learn better, but all religion does is keep them ignorant, so the more they learn, the more religion talks to keep them stupid. And what about religious parents forcing it down their kids's throat or baiting kids in general, or even trying to put it into schools (or even just trying to have "abstinence only" sex ed?)? Thats breeding more stupidity.