television

If you can separate actual reality from the perceived reality you see on TV, then TV isn't all the bad.

It is true that children perform worse in what matters most in life, when they are exposed to too much TV. Tell me a 6 or 7 year old girl doesn't think real life is exactly how it all goes down on Hannah Montana.

The way a young child processes information from TV is fast paced and tightly compacted into half hour intervals, so the child goes from that, to school where the information delivery is much slower and requires more time to be put into processing it, and all the sudden the child's brain is stretched into two completely different directions.

I suppose moderation is the key. Our daughter has to EARN television time.

TV is your popular culture. It is your link to your generation. You can limit yourself to the alloted 30 minutes and think you are somehow intelectually superior to TV watchers. In fact, you are removing yourself from those things that define your generation

defining my generation? in 100 years will the crap on TV or will advances in science/medicine/technology be remembered?

TV is your popular culture. It is your link to your generation. You can limit yourself to the alloted 30 minutes and think you are somehow intelectually superior to TV watchers. In fact, you are removing yourself from those things that define your generation

defining my generation? in 100 years will the crap on TV or will advances in science/medicine/technology be remembered?

The great shows will live on forever.

Look back at movies from 70+ years ago
Gone with the Wind
Wizard of Oz
King Kong
Frankenstein

Look at TV from 50 years ago
I love Lucy
Honeymooners
Twilight Zone

All are part of our popular culture. All have aged well

Gone with the Wind
Wizard of Oz
King Kong
Frankenstein

I love Lucy
Honeymooners
Twilight Zone

and what about mtv and hannah montana (both of which you mentioned)? do you really think watching that channel or stupid show is going to benefit someone? it lets them tell lame jokes later on in life? I would rather spend my time doing something useful.

Gone with the Wind
Wizard of Oz
King Kong
Frankenstein

I love Lucy
Honeymooners
Twilight Zone

and what about mtv and hannah montana (both of which you mentioned)? do you really think watching that channel or stupid show is going to benefit someone? it lets them tell lame jokes later on in life? I would rather spend my time doing something useful.

Yes...its all part of life experiences.
You can watch Hannah Montana now and be enthralled with it. 20 years from now you can meet someone you have nothing in common with and joke about how stupid the show was.
Meanwhile, the kids who's parents only let them watch for 30 min can say "Hannah who?"

New Topics

Forum List

Back