Tie legislators pay to teachers.

Ipsl

Sep 24, 2009
San Jose CA
As a failure of the California education system who has still become somewhat educated I hold this area very personal.

Is it possible to make petition to make the pay of state and federal representatives proportionate to that states teachers of equivalent experience. I'm more interested in the legality and due process behind it, but I'm sure everyone will add there two cents. Thank you for your time.

Yes I did get my GED and have spent a year in collage and going back as soon as the new legislation comes into play with regards to student federal loans. Jsut so you don't think I'm THAT uneducated.:tongue:

As a failure of the California education system who has still become somewhat educated I hold this area very personal.

Is it possible to make petition to make the pay of state and federal representatives proportionate to that states teachers of equivalent experience. I'm more interested in the legality and due process behind it, but I'm sure everyone will add there two cents. Thank you for your time.

Yes I did get my GED and have spent a year in collage and going back as soon as the new legislation comes into play with regards to student federal loans. Jsut so you don't think I'm THAT uneducated.:tongue:

No worries, your spelling and grammar clue everyone in as to just how uneducated you are. :tongue:

BTW, welcome to the board!

LOl.

Plausible? I have no idea, but I imagine you would be hard pressed to get the lawmakers to agree to the idea.

LOl.

Plausible? I have no idea, but I imagine you would be hard pressed to get the lawmakers to agree to the idea.

That why I said a petition as oppose through the regular legislative process. My understanding is that you have to get X amount of signatures for something to be put on the ballot. My inquiry is more along the lines of the specifics of that process. Are there restrictions cause it deal with budget? Are there more steps cause it deals with pay? I'm very limited in my knowledge of this.

Yes, it would be legal to pass a law in California to tie state legislators' pay to anything you want. The question is, why would you want to?

LOl.

That why I said a petition as oppose through the regular legislative process. My understanding is that you have to get X amount of signatures for something to be put on the ballot. My inquiry is more along the lines of the specifics of that process. Are there restrictions cause it deal with budget? Are there more steps cause it deals with pay? I'm very limited in my knowledge of this.

I don't know precisely what's required in California for their initiative process, but the California Secretary of State's office can tell you.

California could connect the pay of legislators to teachers pay, howver, they could NOT tie it to federal offices as that is out of their jurisdiction

Yes, it would be legal to pass a law in California to tie state legislators' pay to anything you want. The question is, why would you want to?

I think that one of the problems within the California educational system is the pay. Since I'm willing to bet that legislators wouldn't cut their own pays so I would think that they would increase the pay of the teachers.

I think that one of the problems within the California educational system is the pay. Since I'm willing to bet that legislators wouldn't cut their own pays so I would think that they would increase the pay of the teachers.

Really? You think you're ignorant because your teachers weren't being paid enough? Seems to me that McDonald's pays minimum wage and gets better and more efficient work out of its employees than that, so I'd say a lack of pay isn't the problem.

And by the way, I went to school in New Mexico and Arizona, both of which pay their teachers considerably less than the Land of Fruits and Nuts. I managed to acquire a more than adequate basic education from them.

Really? You think you're ignorant because your teachers weren't being paid enough? Seems to me that McDonald's pays minimum wage and gets better and more efficient work out of its employees than that, so I'd say a lack of pay isn't the problem.

And by the way, I went to school in New Mexico and Arizona, both of which pay their teachers considerably less than the Land of Fruits and Nuts. I managed to acquire a more than adequate basic education from them.

No I am not ignorant just not as educated as I could be. That had nothign to do with the teachers so much as my own choices in life.

I would say though that a higher wage would increase the amount of people applying to be teachers. With an increase in applicants there would be a increase in quality of applicants.

I would think since the living wage is lower, along with housing and general cost as a whole are much less in NM and AZ so a lower pay isn't proportionately lower per say. But than I don't have stats to back that up.

And since I'm referring to trends and statistics as far as where CA stands in compared to other states and other countries, yours and my own personal experiences and kinda irrelevant. I would hope someone whose has a more than adequate education would know something like that.

No I am not ignorant just not as educated as I could be. That had nothign to do with the teachers so much as my own choices in life.

I would say though that a higher wage would increase the amount of people applying to be teachers. With an increase in applicants there would be a increase in quality of applicants.

I would think since the living wage is lower, along with housing and general cost as a whole are much less in NM and AZ so a lower pay isn't proportionately lower per say. But than I don't have stats to back that up.

And since I'm referring to trends and statistics as far as where CA stands in compared to other states and other countries, yours and my own personal experiences and kinda irrelevant. I would hope someone whose has a more than adequate education would know something like that.

First of all, the quality of teachers has nothing whatsoever to do with pay, so no, raising their pay is not going to make California's schools any better. It's not that I'm surprised that you're starting from the assumption that teachers are underpaid, since you DID introduce yourself as a education system failure, but it's a false premise, so it undermines the further idea that more pay will improve the situation.

When I say that Arizona and New Mexico pay their teachers less, I'm not referring just to real dollar amounts. I'm also talking proportionate to the cost of living in those states.

And since you started this out by referencing your own lack of education, you can't just simply say, "Oh, but that's irrelevant now." If you wanted to talk about how crappy California's schools are based on statistics rather than your own status as "failure" (your word, not mine), you should have presented it as such. Had you had a good education, you would know something like that, and wouldn't be wasting my time trying to get snotty about me referencing your post in a response to it.

I live in New Jersey

Our Educators make more money than our Legislators. Thats because the educators have a union while our elected officials don't

Forum List

Back