Teens step forward to serve as pallbearers for veteran with no family

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
First time posting in this forum. First, thanks to all veterans and family of veterans who peruse this site. I didn't serve, though my father and grandfather were in the military. I am a firm supporter (as most all Americans are) of those who risk their life out of duty. Again, thank you.

As to the link. I thought it was a heart warming story where a man can be laid to rest with some dignity as he had no family or friends to provide his final journey. They still have not decided on what to do with his flag.

Teens step forward to serve as pallbearers for veteran with no family

Navy veteran Jerry Wayne Pino died on Dec. 12th in Long Beach, Mississippi. He was 70 years old.

We don’t know that much about Jerry. He was born in Baton Rouge and joined the Navy in New Orleans. He was a petty officer third class in Vietnam. That’s the extent of his biography.

No family. No friends. He died alone.

Jerry’s body lay unclaimed for several weeks at Riemann Family Funeral Homes.

“No one stepped forward,” funeral home worker Cathy Warden told me. “He just didn’t have any family.”

Miss Cathy explained the situation to her colleague Eva Boomer and together they decided something must be done to give this veteran a proper send off.

“Something had to be done with respect,” Miss Cathy said. “We had to give him what he deserved. Nobody should go alone.”

Miss Eva, who is also a veteran, wondered if some of the boys at Long Beach High School might be willing to serve as pallbearers. It was a longshot, though, seeing how most of the students were out on Christmas break....

I hate to criticize and what they did. It was fine but it's kind of insulting to Veterans groups who would have probably given the old Vet a proper send off. Wouldn't you think an outreach to Veterans groups or an article in the newspaper during the weeks that the body was unclaimed would have made more sense than calling on high school kids?

I hate to criticize and what they did. It was fine but it's kind of insulting to Veterans groups who would have probably given the old Vet a proper send off. Wouldn't you think an outreach to Veterans groups or an article in the newspaper during the weeks that the body was unclaimed would have made more sense than calling on high school kids?

But it didn't happen. The Kids stepped in and got the job done and I salute them.

:salute:

There are several Veterans pages on Facebook that will put a call out if they hear of something like this. But I think it's great that these kids stepped up. Most don't give a shit about anyone else but themselves.

The story just seems to be so damned warm and fuzzy that it seems fabricated. Funeral workers are (or should be) plugged in to Veterans groups who gladly lend a hand when a Veteran, especially a combat Veteran, dies and the body is unclaimed for weeks. Something ain't quite right.

Forum List

Back