Teen Dies After Officers Use Taser to Subdue Him

uhhhhh, fyi the Taser was to replace the baton if i am not mistaken, 456 people in north america have died from the taser since it was inacted as a replacement for the baton, the club....

it was never meant to be used in the place of a gun...cops are to use their gun when protocol requres and shoot to kill when protocol requires...

the taser replaced something that never killed any suspects....unless a real exception.

Uu you aremistaken.
How many police officers do you interact with? How much of their training are you familiar with? How much of the force continuum do you know about?
You are talking out of your ass here.

no i am not, it is YOU that has it wrong and any googling on the subject from any reputable source will show you such....and i have 3 immediate or close family members that are cops....to answer your question.

I prefer to get my information from actual police officers and their trainers than unreliable snippets on Google.
I doubt you have seen a cop except when spread eagled at the side of the road for DUI. Your later reference to pepper spray indicates either you live in Bumfuckville where they don't know about this or you are simply ignorant. The police here have the spray already. It is another tool in the force continuum, that's all.

There are no Tasers on general issue where I am, they're only issued to the tactical unit. We've just had the Leader of the Opposition at the Police Association conference promise to deliver Tasers to all general duty officers. I assume that will be over the objections of the Commissioner because, as far as I know (he doesn't consult with me anymore on policy :lol:) he is opposed to their use by general duty members.

Now that doesn't prove much I realise. But officers here have recourse to oc spray, an ASP baton (the PR 24 was preferred but one of our more slightly built female officers broke a man's femur with one so the brass pulled them) and currently the .357 S&W Model 19 which is being phased out in favour of the S&W MP .40 s/auto which has been very well received. No Taser.

I know many operational cops want a Taser. I don't blame them but I still think there are too many unanswered questions about the Taser. If the Opposition lives up to its promise if it wins the next election (at this stage highly unlikely) it will have a huge political problem if it acts against the Commissioner's advice and there are one or two deaths from Taser use.

Defensive and offensive equipment for police is a controversial issue here. We have a relatively small population (1.5 million people in the State) and relations between police and the public generally are positive, there is mutual respect. Equipment for police is a bona fide industrial issue but unlike a chippie using a nail gun, the equipment issued to police is intended to be used on members of the public. I think it's reasonable that the police be required to present a good argument for such equipment and the public have to accept that spurious arguments against equipment will not influence the decision to issue. But when it comes to Tasers, as I said, I don't see the opposition as spurious, I think it's well grounded.

I wonder what they're gonna do with their Model 19s. I carry one, or one like it, daily.

Anyway, here in Nashville the officers had them. Then they had incidents, all involving people with enough drugs in their system to drug an elephant, then they took them away. Now they've issued them again. Officers I've talked to all say they'd rather have the taser than shoot the person, which is usually the choice.

Teen Dies After Officers Use Taser to Subdue Him - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

The department says officers had been summoned to the facility to investigate a fight involving three people late Friday night.

Police say officers separated the trio but "one of the subjects became combative and a Taser was deployed to control him."

The man was having trouble breathing, and police called paramedics. He was pronounced dead at a hospital about an hour later.

Eventually there will be too much blood on the hands of Tasers for their continued use.

One more added to the statistic... he could have lived if he had health insurance.

The two things we need to know are
Probability of death from taser use
Frequency of taser use
As a sample let us go with 1 death per Billion shocks.
Low enough that police can routinely use Tasers without fear of censure.
Rate of use then soars to 20 million cases a day, with multiple shocks routinely used so the number of shocks per day is actually 100 million. That's one death per 10 days, or 36 to 37 per year.
Not too bad. Replace 1 death per Billion with 1 per Million and then, in the sample above, we would get annual numbers (36500) comparable to Auto crash fatality rates (~40000)

If the taser replaces gunfire to the extent of reducing police shooting fatalities by 2000 a year then a 1 per billion rate might make taser use defensible, but a 1 per million would make it heinous.

My suspicion is that IF the rate is closer to 1 per million then that number would be kept suppressed to avoid just such an analysis.
You can't punch a suspect.

Why should they be able to torture one, under any circumstances?

Its an outright lie to say police NEED torture devices, as has been shown countless times they are often used when police get 'back talk' they don't like, or someone doesn't move fast enough to suit them.

I have yet to see a video of someone attacking a police officer and the only way to stop them is to juice.

I see plenty of them where a police officer says if you don't do exactly what he says he will torture you, and they follow through.

So i ask, why is it a major deal to NOT torture a terrorist but an accepted practise to allow police to routinly torture suspects for things like traffic stops?

“You can't punch a suspect”, that statement, with respect is meaningless. Police can punch someone for sure, if they're using “reasonable force”. If they're not using “reasonable force” then they can't punch someone, suspect or not.

Police should not be permitted to torture people.

Police need the proper tools to do their job. The argument is how some of those tools should be deployed.

Sometimes a Taser is warranted, sometimes a fist or a boot is warranted, sometimes a baton is warranted and sometimes killing someone is warranted.

Police should not be torturing anyone.
A taser is not a 'tool' it is a torture device.

It inflicts pain on people to compell them to do what they order. THAT is the definition of a torture device.

It is NEVER 'warrented' and there are literally dozens of film proof that it is misused.

There is ZERO JUSTIFACTION for giving the police the ability to torture people that have not even been arrested.

I wonder what they're gonna do with their Model 19s. I carry one, or one like it, daily.

Anyway, here in Nashville the officers had them. Then they had incidents, all involving people with enough drugs in their system to drug an elephant, then they took them away. Now they've issued them again. Officers I've talked to all say they'd rather have the taser than shoot the person, which is usually the choice.
Bullshit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmByfTKKUV4]YouTube - Police Overreact with a Taser Gun[/ame]

Surrounded, face down by 6 cops, and they TASERED HIM!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dik-mgCDcg]YouTube - Dash Cam: Mom tasered in front of her kids in New York[/ame]

Tell us how this asshole is justified is torturing this woman for a TRAFFIC STOP!

Anyone that is pro-taser is pro-torture.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fizo-sOSE6o&NR=1]YouTube - Police Brutality: 14 yr old girl Tasered in the Head NM[/ame]

This asshole tasered a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL who had not committed ANY crime.

Go ahead, make yourselves look even more foolish defending this torture and misconduct.

You can't punch a suspect.

Why should they be able to torture one, under any circumstances?

Its an outright lie to say police NEED torture devices, as has been shown countless times they are often used when police get 'back talk' they don't like, or someone doesn't move fast enough to suit them.

I have yet to see a video of someone attacking a police officer and the only way to stop them is to juice.

I see plenty of them where a police officer says if you don't do exactly what he says he will torture you, and they follow through.

So i ask, why is it a major deal to NOT torture a terrorist but an accepted practise to allow police to routinly torture suspects for things like traffic stops?

“You can't punch a suspect”, that statement, with respect is meaningless. Police can punch someone for sure, if they're using “reasonable force”. If they're not using “reasonable force” then they can't punch someone, suspect or not.

Police need the proper tools to do their job. The argument is how some of those tools should be deployed.

Sometimes a Taser is warranted, sometimes a fist or a boot is warranted, sometimes a baton is warranted and sometimes killing someone is warranted.

It inflicts pain on people to compell them to do what they order. THAT is the definition of a torture device.

It is NEVER 'warrented' and there are literally dozens of film proof that it is misused.

There is ZERO JUSTIFACTION for giving the police the ability to torture people that have not even been arrested.

Geez are you fucking stupid.
Handcuffs also compel people to do things. Handcuff also hurt. I guess handcuffs ought to be labeled a torture device and banned as well.
Some people could do with a few hundred volts to the scrotum.

Bullshit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmByfTKKUV4]YouTube - Police Overreact with a Taser Gun[/ame]

Surrounded, face down by 6 cops, and they TASERED HIM!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dik-mgCDcg]YouTube - Dash Cam: Mom tasered in front of her kids in New York[/ame]

Tell us how this asshole is justified is torturing this woman for a TRAFFIC STOP!

Anyone that is pro-taser is pro-torture.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fizo-sOSE6o&NR=1]YouTube - Police Brutality: 14 yr old girl Tasered in the Head NM[/ame]

This asshole tasered a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL who had not committed ANY crime.

Go ahead, make yourselves look even more foolish defending this torture and misconduct.

Holy shit!
I try to defend the police. They have an amazingly difficult and dangerous job, but way to many of these guys become sadistic assholes.
That man wasn't resiting anyone.
Faced down, surrounded by 6 cops...TAZED?!?!
Every one of those cops should be fired yesterday.

Lessons to be Learned:

1. Don't argue with the police, just follow instructions.

2. Don't attempt to flee from the police.

3. Don't assault the police.

4. Follow the above rules at all times, but especially when they have a taser or firearm in your face.

Pretty simple lessons...amazing how many people never learn them. Also, realize that if you take away the tasers, police will be pulling their pistols instead.

A taser is far less damaging than a 9mm.

That said, it would appear some departments could benefit from sensitivity training...

Last edited:
Lessons to be Learned:

4. Follow the above rules at all times, but especially when they have a taser or firearm in your face.

Pretty simple lessons...amazing how many people never learn them. Also, realize that if you take away the tasers, police will be pulling their pistols instead. A taser is far less damaging than a 9mm.

Bro...I USUALLY think like that.
But did you watch those vids??
That was cops being cruel assholes.

Lessons to be Learned:

Pretty simple lessons...amazing how many people never learn them. Also, realize that if you take away the tasers, police will be pulling their pistols instead. A taser is far less damaging than a 9mm.

Bro...I USUALLY think like that.
But did you watch those vids??
That was cops being cruel assholes.
I think some cops are cruel assholes. Cruel assholes are going to be part of any large population.

That's no excuse for what they did and I hope they were severely disciplined.

I would bet good money that had they not had tazers they would have been cruel in other ways.

No doubt, some cops are seriously sadistic. Which is why you need to follow those rules I mentioned above, at all times. It helps if you pretend you're living in a police state.

And trust me, one step down on the force continuum, the ASP baton, is no picnic. Bones can easily be broken, and a crack to the skull is often fatal.

16awasp.jpg

Geez are you fucking stupid.
Handcuffs also compel people to do things. Handcuff also hurt. I guess handcuffs ought to be labeled a torture device and banned as well.
Some people could do with a few hundred volts to the scrotum.
No asshole, i am anti-torture, and anti-gestapo, allowing the stasi to use torture devices is nazi-like.

That's no excuse for what they did and I hope they were severely disciplined.

I would bet good money that had they not had tazers they would have been cruel in other ways.

Absolutely. I don't think tazers are the problem.
I think they provide a great non lethal alternative to having to shoot someone.
But THAT'S when it should be used!!
When otherwise they would have to KILL someone.
Not because a drunk got lippy with you.
Or a woman insults your manhood.
Or whatever pisses you off that particular evening.
Ya hearin' me, cops??

Holy shit!
I try to defend the police. They have an amazingly difficult and dangerous job, but way to many of these guys become sadistic assholes.
That man wasn't resiting anyone.
Faced down, surrounded by 6 cops...TAZED?!?!
Every one of those cops should be fired yesterday.
You give someone a leagal right to torture people they are going to use it.

As is obvious, this isn't an isolated thing, there are dozens of these videos, often showing big burly cops tasering small women and people over minor things like traffic stops.

What is astounding is you get assholes who claim that speeding should allow a cop to torture someone.

This is bullshit ... if the cops will keep getting into trouble no matter what the hell they do who will you call when you need help?

What is astounding is you get assholes who claim that speeding should allow a cop to torture someone.

Simply put, cops are at high risk to die during traffic stops.

Why?

Because felons often have the worst driving. If you commit major crimes, reckless driving is nothing. The worst speeders tend to have rap-sheets, tend to be on drugs, and often have no qualms with assaulting officers.

For this reason, most departments do not allow lone officers to give tickets without backup. Even then, it is common practice to pull a weapon if the driver is suspected of being intoxicated or high.

Just using Google news...

Aberdeen police arrest suspect in armed robberies - South Sound - The Olympian - Olympia, Washington
S.C. man shot by police after traffic stop dies - South Carolina & Regional - Wire - TheSunNews.com
Cop shoots, kills man after struggle at traffic stop
Alleged Carjacker Shot, Killed By Police In New Hyde Park - WPIX
EURweb.com - BOUNTY KILLER BUSTED FOR POT: Jamaican rapper charged with possession after traffic stop in New Kingston.
Police Release More Details in Cop Shooting - Broward Palm Beach News - The Juice
News - South Africa: Slain cop's last words to wife: I love you
The Morning News: News : Police Kill Man In Chase, Shoot-out
Eyewitness News: Third cop gunned down in Gauteng
Man shoots, kills himself while police try to stop his car - JSOnline

In all these cases, either the police killed the driver, or the driver killed the police, during a routine traffic-stop. I'd say police officers have good reason to be jumpy during traffic stops...

"Is this driver going to try to kill me?"

Last edited:
I have great respect for cops. It's a profession that has never appealed to me, though. So, I have wondered what sort of personality would be attracted to being a LEO. I'm only going on a hypothesis with no data at all to back it up, so it's nothing of substance. I wonder if the profession attracts the more authoritarian natured personalities. If so, it would seem to me that those types would have their buttons pushed by anyone questioning that authority.

Again, I have great respect for them as they are doing a job all of us depend on and they're doing something I would not want to do. So, I'm bouncing a thought out there.

Simply put, cops are at high risk to die during traffic stops.

Why?

Because felons often have the worst driving. If you commit major crimes, reckless driving is nothing. The worst speeders tend to have rap-sheets, tend to be on drugs, and often have no qualms with assaulting officers.

For this reason, most departments do not allow lone officers to give tickets without backup. Even then, it is common practice to pull a weapon if the driver is suspected of being intoxicated or high.

Just using Google news...

Aberdeen police arrest suspect in armed robberies - South Sound - The Olympian - Olympia, Washington
S.C. man shot by police after traffic stop dies - South Carolina & Regional - Wire - TheSunNews.com
Cop shoots, kills man after struggle at traffic stop
Alleged Carjacker Shot, Killed By Police In New Hyde Park - WPIX
EURweb.com - BOUNTY KILLER BUSTED FOR POT: Jamaican rapper charged with possession after traffic stop in New Kingston.
Police Release More Details in Cop Shooting - Broward Palm Beach News - The Juice
News - South Africa: Slain cop's last words to wife: I love you
The Morning News: News : Police Kill Man In Chase, Shoot-out
Eyewitness News: Third cop gunned down in Gauteng
Man shoots, kills himself while police try to stop his car - JSOnline

In all these cases, either the police killed the driver, or the driver killed the police, during a routine traffic-stop. I'd say police officers have good reason to be jumpy during traffic stops...

"Is this driver going to try to kill me?"
So allowing them to torture uppidity people and women is the solution?

Police are far to prone to over react when given things like tasers and even pepper sprays.

Torture devices must and will be banned sooner or later, they are barbaric.

So, I have wondered what sort of personality would be attracted to being a LEO.
Who else but...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulYVxZ7d-XQ&feature=related]YouTube - TJ Hooker - Series 3 TV Intro 1984[/ame]

BTW, you remind me of Heather Locklear...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back