Teen Dies After Officers Use Taser to Subdue Him

Yeah. Most people that die after being zapped with a taser would have in fact suddenly dropped dead at that exact moment had they not been tased.

Only if they're poor.
Because poor people are more prone to death from ponaturalice causes.

Ponaturalice - adj - the natural cause of being killed by police for the sin of being poor and in their way. Ponaturalice

Let's imagine for a moment that everybody that has ever been shot with a taser was shot with a .38 caliber police service pistol instead.
Feel better yet?

Depends where he got shot. Besides, the officer could of fired a warning shot. There is no warning shot with a taser.

What fucking world do you live in? Warning shot? Officers are never allowed to fire bullets in the air as a means to "warn" people. There are strict guide lines when it comes to discharging their weapons.

Warning shots are not useful, I agree.

It's also not a good idea to shoot at a fleeing car but it happens :redface:

There might be strict guidelines (and I know there are) but they're policy matters and frankly policy is a real pain at times. Although I will agree that a less than responsible officer can be terminated for continued policy breaches (if someone can be bothered to provide the evidence).

The law is specific about the use of firearms for self defence and at least in my jurisdiction there is no special dispensation given to police in the matter of defence of self or others.

This clown got tased twice and was still trash talking and getting up against the commands to stay down......... I would have taken out a 40 caliber and killed that human waste, screw beating his hard head with a baton.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROn_9302UHg]YouTube - Rodney King[/ame]

Then this guy is a big joke.......... Oh wait, he's a white guy, it's alright to tase a white guy, it's even funny.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XWijwmvGU4]YouTube - University of Florida Taser Incident (taser portion)[/ame]

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: mal
I will bet money an autopsy will find drugs in his system. That is usually how Taser deaths occur.
The Taser is pretty safe. Officers who use them must get tased in the course of their training. I have talked with several officers who did this. They report "speaking to god" as one of the effects. And this from a burly 6'+ 240lb veteran. Someone who needs more than one to be controlled is definitely on something.
Officers are trained to use a continuum of force. The taser comes in right before the pistol. And cops today usually carry .40 semi-auto's, not .38 revolvers. I'm not aware of a dept that still issues the old 6 banger (much to my regret). Many people who would have been shot in years past get tazed instead and wake up the next morning. That is certainly preferable. A certain number get tazed instead of getting beaten with the baton. That's probably preferable too. The officer's safety is an important consideration.
Moral of the story: dont do what cops tell you and it will probably end badly for you.

had this child been raised with better rearing, he would not had been in this sitiuation.

I have no problem with the Taser being deployed appropriately. However I have to differ that people who would have been shot in the past are now Tasered instead. If there was a need to use lethal force then lethal force should have been used.

I'm more inclined to think a Taser should be used where an officer is faced with a seriously recalcitrant individual who has the officer at a disadvantage in physical terms or who is so off their face that it would be terminally stupid to go hands on with them.

However I do believe that a controlled beating with an ASP or Monadnock PR 24 to ensure compliance is preferable to a Taser,for several reasons. The primary reason is that the beating can be controlled by those adminstering the beating. When you send out an electrical discharge with a Taser you can't stop halfway through and you can't pull your punches or baton strikes.

Paradoxically I suspect that the Rodney King incident would not have resulted in a miscarriage of justice for the cops if they had been using Tasers instead of batons. The use of a baton in a cold-blooded manner by cops is distasteful to the lay observer. It looks ugly and it is, but as long as it's not a vengeance-driven beating and it's controlled (as Sgt Stacey Koon controlled the King incident) then it's probably lawful and reasonable.

Anyway, it's good to have these discussions so that we can all share a bit of our own reality with each other instead of putting up with all the edited for public consumption crap.

I will bet money an autopsy will find drugs in his system. That is usually how Taser deaths occur.
The Taser is pretty safe. Officers who use them must get tased in the course of their training. I have talked with several officers who did this. They report "speaking to god" as one of the effects. And this from a burly 6'+ 240lb veteran. Someone who needs more than one to be controlled is definitely on something.
Officers are trained to use a continuum of force. The taser comes in right before the pistol. And cops today usually carry .40 semi-auto's, not .38 revolvers. I'm not aware of a dept that still issues the old 6 banger (much to my regret). Many people who would have been shot in years past get tazed instead and wake up the next morning. That is certainly preferable. A certain number get tazed instead of getting beaten with the baton. That's probably preferable too. The officer's safety is an important consideration.
Moral of the story: dont do what cops tell you and it will probably end badly for you.

uhhhhh, fyi the Taser was to replace the baton if i am not mistaken, 456 people in north america have died from the taser since it was inacted as a replacement for the baton, the club....

it was never meant to be used in the place of a gun...cops are to use their gun when protocol requres and shoot to kill when protocol requires...

the taser replaced something that never killed any suspects....unless a real exception.

Lets just go back to beating them to death, shooting them and strangling them. That worked so well in the past.

Or perhaps Care would have our police ask nicely if the deranged idiot high on drugs would just kindly stop beating the other guy, pretty please?
How about we go back to due process.

That includes police officers NOT having the ability to torture suspects who have the nerve to question a police officer.

The first thing we need to understand is the probability of a taser deployment resulting in death. Then we can have a meaningful discussion about whether that is within tolerance.

The two things we need to know are
Probability of death from taser use
Frequency of taser use
As a sample let us go with 1 death per Billion shocks.
Low enough that police can routinely use Tasers without fear of censure.
Rate of use then soars to 20 million cases a day, with multiple shocks routinely used so the number of shocks per day is actually 100 million. That's one death per 10 days, or 36 to 37 per year.
Not too bad. Replace 1 death per Billion with 1 per Million and then, in the sample above, we would get annual numbers (36500) comparable to Auto crash fatality rates (~40000)

If the taser replaces gunfire to the extent of reducing police shooting fatalities by 2000 a year then a 1 per billion rate might make taser use defensible, but a 1 per million would make it heinous.

My suspicion is that IF the rate is closer to 1 per million then that number would be kept suppressed to avoid just such an analysis.
You can't punch a suspect.

Why should they be able to torture one, under any circumstances?

Its an outright lie to say police NEED torture devices, as has been shown countless times they are often used when police get 'back talk' they don't like, or someone doesn't move fast enough to suit them.

I have yet to see a video of someone attacking a police officer and the only way to stop them is to juice.

I see plenty of them where a police officer says if you don't do exactly what he says he will torture you, and they follow through.

So i ask, why is it a major deal to NOT torture a terrorist but an accepted practise to allow police to routinly torture suspects for things like traffic stops?

Teen Dies After Officers Use Taser to Subdue Him - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

The department says officers had been summoned to the facility to investigate a fight involving three people late Friday night.

Police say officers separated the trio but "one of the subjects became combative and a Taser was deployed to control him."

The man was having trouble breathing, and police called paramedics. He was pronounced dead at a hospital about an hour later.

Eventually there will be too much blood on the hands of Tasers for their continued use.

Maybe we could just Disarm the Police Completely?...

Hell, why do we Need Police, they are Really the Problem anyway, aren't they?...

:)

peace...

The first thing we need to understand is the probability of a taser deployment resulting in death. Then we can have a meaningful discussion about whether that is within tolerance.

The two things we need to know are
Probability of death from taser use
Frequency of taser use
As a sample let us go with 1 death per Billion shocks.
Low enough that police can routinely use Tasers without fear of censure.
Rate of use then soars to 20 million cases a day, with multiple shocks routinely used so the number of shocks per day is actually 100 million. That's one death per 10 days, or 36 to 37 per year.
Not too bad. Replace 1 death per Billion with 1 per Million and then, in the sample above, we would get annual numbers (36500) comparable to Auto crash fatality rates (~40000)

If the taser replaces gunfire to the extent of reducing police shooting fatalities by 2000 a year then a 1 per billion rate might make taser use defensible, but a 1 per million would make it heinous.

My suspicion is that IF the rate is closer to 1 per million then that number would be kept suppressed to avoid just such an analysis.
You can't punch a suspect.

Why should they be able to torture one, under any circumstances?

Its an outright lie to say police NEED torture devices, as has been shown countless times they are often used when police get 'back talk' they don't like, or someone doesn't move fast enough to suit them.

I have yet to see a video of someone attacking a police officer and the only way to stop them is to juice.

I see plenty of them where a police officer says if you don't do exactly what he says he will torture you, and they follow through.

So i ask, why is it a major deal to NOT torture a terrorist but an accepted practise to allow police to routinly torture suspects for things like traffic stops?

“You can't punch a suspect”, that statement, with respect is meaningless. Police can punch someone for sure, if they're using “reasonable force”. If they're not using “reasonable force” then they can't punch someone, suspect or not.

Police should not be permitted to torture people.

Police need the proper tools to do their job. The argument is how some of those tools should be deployed.

Sometimes a Taser is warranted, sometimes a fist or a boot is warranted, sometimes a baton is warranted and sometimes killing someone is warranted.

Police should not be torturing anyone.

This clown got tased twice and was still trash talking and getting up against the commands to stay down......... I would have taken out a 40 caliber and killed that human waste, screw beating his hard head with a baton.

YouTube - Rodney King

Then this guy is a big joke.......... Oh wait, he's a white guy, it's alright to tase a white guy, it's even funny.

YouTube - University of Florida Taser Incident (taser portion)

Remember, only 11 Seconds of King's "Beating" was Found to be Excessive.

peace...

YouTube - Rodney King

YouTube - University of Florida Taser Incident (taser portion)

Remember, only 11 Seconds of King's "Beating" was Found to be Excessive.

peace...

I was not criticizing the police in that instance, I was trying to show how being shot twice with 50,000 volts didn't stop him. That is when the 40 cal would have come out.
The other 2 in the car were not touched because they cooperated, they were let go.

One only has too watch a couple episodes of COPS to see the bullshit they put up with from the public. I know enough to shut up and make their job as easy as possible, if I can drum up a tear, all the better. It's also yes sir, yes mam, you need to show respect to get it.

if you taser someone on coke...it kills them

If you taser someone with a heart condition...it kills them

If you taser someone that is pregnant....it kills their baby

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Tasers are NOT the safe tool that Taser SAID they were when they sold them to our police depts.

The taser was suppose to stop suspects from getting injured and police officer from getting injured...it was suppose to make them BOTH SAFER.

It was never ever put in to place, to replace the GUN and when to use your gun....but the baton, the one on one combat, and the dog.

uhhhhh, fyi the Taser was to replace the baton if i am not mistaken, 456 people in north america have died from the taser since it was inacted as a replacement for the baton, the club....

it was never meant to be used in the place of a gun...cops are to use their gun when protocol requres and shoot to kill when protocol requires...

the taser replaced something that never killed any suspects....unless a real exception.

Uu you aremistaken.
How many police officers do you interact with? How much of their training are you familiar with? How much of the force continuum do you know about?
You are talking out of your ass here.

Uu you aremistaken.
How many police officers do you interact with? How much of their training are you familiar with? How much of the force continuum do you know about?
You are talking out of your ass here.

no i am not, it is YOU that has it wrong and any googling on the subject from any reputable source will show you such....and i have 3 immediate or close family members that are cops....to answer your question.

I have no problem with the Taser being deployed appropriately. However I have to differ that people who would have been shot in the past are now Tasered instead. If there was a need to use lethal force then lethal force should have been used.

I'm more inclined to think a Taser should be used where an officer is faced with a seriously recalcitrant individual who has the officer at a disadvantage in physical terms or who is so off their face that it would be terminally stupid to go hands on with them.

However I do believe that a controlled beating with an ASP or Monadnock PR 24 to ensure compliance is preferable to a Taser,for several reasons. The primary reason is that the beating can be controlled by those adminstering the beating. When you send out an electrical discharge with a Taser you can't stop halfway through and you can't pull your punches or baton strikes.

Paradoxically I suspect that the Rodney King incident would not have resulted in a miscarriage of justice for the cops if they had been using Tasers instead of batons. The use of a baton in a cold-blooded manner by cops is distasteful to the lay observer. It looks ugly and it is, but as long as it's not a vengeance-driven beating and it's controlled (as Sgt Stacey Koon controlled the King incident) then it's probably lawful and reasonable.

Anyway, it's good to have these discussions so that we can all share a bit of our own reality with each other instead of putting up with all the edited for public consumption crap.

I think Diuretic makes a good point here

It was high visibility cases like Rodney King that drove Police to the Taser. Now that everyone has a camera on their cell phone and every neighborhood or store has outdoor videos, the continual "Cops beat defenseless subject" stories on the 6 o'clock news an Youtube lead to too many lawsuits.
It is less costly to Police Departments to taze a suspect and say Ooops! we didn't know he had a bad heart than to beat the crap out of him and have it shown in slow motion on the news

It was high visibility cases like Rodney King that drove Police to the Taser. Now that everyone has a camera on their cell phone and every neighborhood or store has outdoor videos, the continual "Cops beat defenseless subject" stories on the 6 o'clock news an Youtube lead to too many lawsuits.
It is less costly to Police Departments to taze a suspect and say Ooops! we didn't know he had a bad heart than to beat the crap out of him and have it shown in slow motion on the news

there is such a thing as pepper spray....

and the newer tasers are equipped with cameras that can even film in the dark....canadians are buying those....keeps the lawsuits down, keeps the cops from using it when other means are available....like pepper spray

there is such a thing as pepper spray....

and the newer tasers are equipped with cameras that can even film in the dark....canadians are buying those....keeps the lawsuits down, keeps the cops from using it when other means are available....like pepper spray

I think cops will eventually move to another non-lethal alternative. Some people have been killed by tazers but if we are comparing the tazer to the nightstick, I prefer the tazer. How many people were killed by a nightstick blow to the head? How many cops have been injured or killed in fighting with a suspect hand to hand?
I remember many stories of suspects armed with a knife who were shot and killed by police. A tazer is still a preferable option

Forum List

Back