Ted Nugent proves a shotgun is deadlier than an AR-15

The AR15 is better suited for killing large amounts of people in as short a time as possible in a wider range of environments than pistols or shotguns. The military determined that, and I trust their judgement.

You'll have to provide me with a source or a link for that. Not that I doubt it, but just so I can see what the overall conclusion is.

But anyway, first of all, the military doesn't use the AR-15. Secondly, military soldiers are trained to use these weapons (M16s) with as much skill as possible. Thirdly, most military combat takes place in the open so pistols and shotguns are useless in these environments and it would be silly to compare the two. Fourthly, an M16 may serve the purpose in close quarters combat but soldiers have other people shooting back. A mass shooter does not.

Also, unlike a soldier, a mass shooter can always choose his battleground. This is precisely why they choose schools, restaurants and offices to get the maximum kill effect. And, again, given that handguns were used in some of the worst shootings, it's all pretty much academic.

What concerns myself and a lot of gun owners about all this is that we all know that if they ban semi-autos, it won't stop there. That would be the wedge to open the door and set a precedent to justify future bans. No one on this side of the gun debate aisle is fooled for one minute by conciliatory and concessionary rhetoric. We know that ultimately they want to ban firearms altogether.

You're exaggerating the situation. There is no credible effort to ban all semi auto guns any more than there is to ban all guns. That is just a lie told by the NRA to scare weak minded gun nuts.

First of all, I have no idea what the NRA says because I'm not a member and I don't keep up with their goings on. Secondly, I'm not merely repeating things other gun owners are saying, I'm speaking from experience of observing human nature. Human nature dictates that they will always look for the easiest solution and convince themselves it will work even though most of the time the easy solution never works in the long run and they know this.

What is likely to happen is that there will be more shootings with more subsequent rallies and campaigns to ban semi-autos until the government finally breaks and grants it. They'll be happy and do a celebratory jig and revel in their moral victory. For awhile. Then, inevitably, there will be another mass shooting either with an illegally obtained semi-auto or a pistol and/or shotgun. They'll know then that banning semi-autos didn't work but they'll never admit it. So they'll say that all firearms are the problem but will only push for a ban on handguns for now. When that doesn't work they'll say, "Well, we should have went for a total ban the last time" and therefore push for a total ban.

They will never admit that the root of the problem is cultural and a result of bad or absent parenting, among other things, because that's not an easy fix. You can't pass a law that will fix bad parenting or repair the culture.

Again, you reference your unfounded fear that there is a credible possibility that all semi auto guns will be banned. That's just nuts.

I have to ask: What makes you so sure they won't ban semi-autos?

The main reason is there is no main stream group, or credible individuals who have said there is even the possibility that might be done. Some specific guns might require additional approval, but not all semi autos. If you know of any credible threat to all semi autos please inform me. Of course the gun nut group is screaming it to high heavens. It stirs up their base and increases gun sales.

You'll have to provide me with a source or a link for that. Not that I doubt it, but just so I can see what the overall conclusion is.

But anyway, first of all, the military doesn't use the AR-15. Secondly, military soldiers are trained to use these weapons (M16s) with as much skill as possible. Thirdly, most military combat takes place in the open so pistols and shotguns are useless in these environments and it would be silly to compare the two. Fourthly, an M16 may serve the purpose in close quarters combat but soldiers have other people shooting back. A mass shooter does not.

Also, unlike a soldier, a mass shooter can always choose his battleground. This is precisely why they choose schools, restaurants and offices to get the maximum kill effect. And, again, given that handguns were used in some of the worst shootings, it's all pretty much academic.

What concerns myself and a lot of gun owners about all this is that we all know that if they ban semi-autos, it won't stop there. That would be the wedge to open the door and set a precedent to justify future bans. No one on this side of the gun debate aisle is fooled for one minute by conciliatory and concessionary rhetoric. We know that ultimately they want to ban firearms altogether.

You're exaggerating the situation. There is no credible effort to ban all semi auto guns any more than there is to ban all guns. That is just a lie told by the NRA to scare weak minded gun nuts.

First of all, I have no idea what the NRA says because I'm not a member and I don't keep up with their goings on. Secondly, I'm not merely repeating things other gun owners are saying, I'm speaking from experience of observing human nature. Human nature dictates that they will always look for the easiest solution and convince themselves it will work even though most of the time the easy solution never works in the long run and they know this.

What is likely to happen is that there will be more shootings with more subsequent rallies and campaigns to ban semi-autos until the government finally breaks and grants it. They'll be happy and do a celebratory jig and revel in their moral victory. For awhile. Then, inevitably, there will be another mass shooting either with an illegally obtained semi-auto or a pistol and/or shotgun. They'll know then that banning semi-autos didn't work but they'll never admit it. So they'll say that all firearms are the problem but will only push for a ban on handguns for now. When that doesn't work they'll say, "Well, we should have went for a total ban the last time" and therefore push for a total ban.

They will never admit that the root of the problem is cultural and a result of bad or absent parenting, among other things, because that's not an easy fix. You can't pass a law that will fix bad parenting or repair the culture.

Again, you reference your unfounded fear that there is a credible possibility that all semi auto guns will be banned. That's just nuts.

The main reason is there is no main stream group, or credible individuals who have said there is even the possibility that might be done. Some specific guns might require additional approval, but not all semi autos. If you know of any credible threat to all semi autos please inform me. Of course the gun nut group is screaming it to high heavens. It stirs up their base and increases gun sales.

I don't know of any mainstream group or credible individuals saying that it might happen but that's not what I'm talking about. When I say "they", I'm referring to all the people calling for a ban, not necessarily any organized group or movement. But that's not to say that at some point there won't be an organized movement. I've never suggested that a ban will happen right now or within the next few years. But given enough mass shootings, I think it's a real possibility that within the next ten to twenty years there could be a groundswell of anger and frustration that would precipitate an organized movement putting political pressure on elected officials to do something and they just might do it. Knowing human nature as I do, I have no reason to think it couldn't happen.

I don't know of any mainstream group or credible individuals saying that it might happen but that's not what I'm talking about. When I say "they", I'm referring to all the people calling for a ban, not necessarily any organized group or movement. But that's not to say that at some point there won't be an organized movement. I've never suggested that a ban will happen right now or within the next few years. But given enough mass shootings, I think it's a real possibility that within the next ten to twenty years there could be a groundswell of anger and frustration that would precipitate an organized movement putting political pressure on elected officials to do something and they just might do it. Knowing human nature as I do, I have no reason to think it couldn't happen.

So you fear some future imaginary effort to ban all semi auto guns. That's what the NRA and gun nuts were hoping for.

So you fear some future imaginary effort to ban all semi auto guns. That's what the NRA and gun nuts were hoping for.

I didn't say it would happen, I said I think it could happen.

Have you not been watching and listening to the news? This is exactly what so many people are screaming about because of the Parkland shooting. According to an MSN poll, 70% of Americans want stricter gun laws and 67% want a full ban on semi-autos ("assault weapons" in the article).

Far and away, the largest body count, out in the hundreds of million is a Progressive government killing their unarmed citizens

Have you not been watching and listening to the news? This is exactly what so many people are screaming about because of the Parkland shooting. According to an MSN poll, 70% of Americans want stricter gun laws and 67% want a full ban on semi-autos ("assault weapons" in the article).

Tell me again where 67% want full ban on all semi-autos.

MSN poll: 70% of Americans want stricter assault weapon laws — more than ever before

By the way, stop trying to make me out as one of your "gun nuts". You don't know me well enough for that. I'm not a member of the NRA and I don't even own a semi-auto and I probably never will. For me, it's not that I might not be able to own a semi-auto one day that concerns me, it's the principle of punishing the many for the sins of a few. It's the principle that you should be judged as an amoral monster who cares not that kids are getting killed just because you say that guns are not the problem. And, it's the principle that you are judged as a gun nut *wink wink* just because you point out that a lot of people want to ban a certain type of firearm.

MSN poll: 70% of Americans want stricter assault weapon laws — more than ever before

By the way, stop trying to make me out as one of your "gun nuts". You don't know me well enough for that. I'm not a member of the NRA and I don't even own a semi-auto and I probably never will. For me, it's not that I might not be able to own a semi-auto one day that concerns me, it's the principle of punishing the many for the sins of a few. It's the principle that you should be judged as an amoral monster who cares not that kids are getting killed just because you say that guns are not the problem. And, it's the principle that you are judged as a gun nut *wink wink* just because you point out that a lot of people want to ban a certain type of firearm.

So why did you lie about 67% wanting a full ban on all semi-auto guns? That is nowhere in that link. Why are almost all gun nut posts nothing but lies?

So why did you lie about 67% wanting a full ban on all semi-auto guns? That is nowhere in that link. Why are almost all gun nut posts nothing but lies?

Jesus Christ are you blind? It says right near the top of the article:

"The nationwide average of 70% is even higher than the 67% that want to ban assault weapons and the 66% that wanted tougher gun laws in general in a recent Quinnipiac University poll."

Is this true?

House Democrats introduce bill prohibiting sale of semi-automatic weapons

The bill prohibits the “sale, transfer, production, and importation” of semi-automatic rifles and pistols that can hold a detachable magazine, as well as semi-automatic rifles with a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds. Additionally, the legislation bans the sale, transfer, production, and importation of semi-automatic shotguns with features such as a pistol grip or detachable stock, and ammunition feeding devices that can hold more than 10 rounds.

Mark

Is this true?

The bill prohibits the “sale, transfer, production, and importation” of semi-automatic rifles and pistols that can hold a detachable magazine, as well as semi-automatic rifles with a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds. Additionally, the legislation bans the sale, transfer, production, and importation of semi-automatic shotguns with features such as a pistol grip or detachable stock, and ammunition feeding devices that can hold more than 10 rounds.

Mark

It appears to be. I did a Google search and the story came up on four or five different news sites on the first page, including AP, and the congressman's own web page..

Is this true?

Mark

It appears to be. I did a Google search and the story came up on four or five different news sites on the first page, including AP, and the congressman's own web page..

So then Bulldog is wrong. They DO want to do away with semi automatic weapons.

Mark

Don’t worry...the left is coming after the shotguns soon. This is a strategy they promote called “nudge”. They just keep taking little by little until they have it all. First it was “but we just want the ‘machine guns’ - they are ‘weapons of war’ that have no place on our streets”. They got any that weren’t grandfathered in. Now they “just” want AR-15’s (even though they are absolutely no different from standard firearms). If we let them (like we idiotically did with the fully automatics), next will be the handguns. And then they will come for the shotguns.
Impossible! We took all your guns while Obama was President.

Don’t worry...the left is coming after the shotguns soon. This is a strategy they promote called “nudge”. They just keep taking little by little until they have it all. First it was “but we just want the ‘machine guns’ - they are ‘weapons of war’ that have no place on our streets”. They got any that weren’t grandfathered in. Now they “just” want AR-15’s (even though they are absolutely no different from standard firearms). If we let them (like we idiotically did with the fully automatics), next will be the handguns. And then they will come for the shotguns.
Impossible! We took all your guns while Obama was President.

See their latest bill? If we still have guns its because we fought, and won. Its not for lack of trying by the Democrats.

Mark

Is this true?

Mark

Mark

I think he knew he was wrong. I came to the realization this afternoon that he has probably been trolling me this whole time.

Jesus Christ are you blind? It says right near the top of the article:

"The nationwide average of 70% is even higher than the 67% that want to ban assault weapons and the 66% that wanted tougher gun laws in general in a recent Quinnipiac University poll."

A semi-auto, and an assault weapon aren't necessarily the same thing dumb ass.

Is this true?

Mark

Of course it is true, however it would only ban specific types of semi-autos. Not all of them as was claimed by your fellow gun nut.

Is this true?

Mark

Mark

You really need help with your reading comprehension.

Is this true?

Mark

Mark

Again, dumb ass. Not all semi-autos. Just specific types. You aren't getting this? With your reasoning ability, a statement like "it's against the law to sell poison candy" would be the same as "It's against the law to sell candy"

Is this true?

Mark

Mark

I think he knew he was wrong. I came to the realization this afternoon that he has probably been trolling me this whole time.

I save this response for people like you

Sure lady. That's your deer. You shot it. Now, if you'll just let me get my saddle off of it.

Forum List

Back