Team of the Decade

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Andrew2382, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Well we all know that the Yankees were by and far the team of the decade in the 90's, winning 3 world series (96,98,99). Many people would argue the Braves however, since they only have 1 and losing 2 to the Yankees I consider that to be a dead argument.

Next year is 2010 and the new decade starts so if the Yankees win the world series...will they be considered the team of this decade as well?

It would be their 2nd world series if they beat the Phillies...(00,09)

They got their 4th pennant, reaching the World Series 4 times in the decade

They reached the ALCS 5 times, having only lost once to the Red Sox

Won the American League East 8/10 years

Made the playoffs 9/10 years

I will surely say this is all based on whether or not they beat the Phillies cause I will agree that a team with more championships (Sox, Phillies) would over take them based on pure success in that decade.

I'm gonna say with a win against the Phillies it's hard to argue that the Pinstripes will once hold on to that title :)

2. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    If they lose to Philly, then who do you think the Team of the Decade will be?

3. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    tough call

It's obviously between the Sox and Phillies

They both would have 2 rings

However in my eyes winning them back to back like the Phillies have the option to do is a lot tougher then what the Sox did.

Phillies have won the NL east 3 times in a row now and and them being the only times they have seen the playoffs

Red Sox have won the divison 1 year and have seen the playoffs a total of 6 times winning the wildcard 5 times.

It is a tough call...Might go to the Sox just for seeing the playoffs more times and playing better ball in tougher league...however winning back to back championships goes a long way.

Tough call

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    It's bigger than the numbers .....

Red Sox winning two titles + the historical significance of their success in overcoming the curse + orchestrating the greatest comeback in the history of baseball + all the playoff appearences = team of the decade.

5. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537

nah totally disagree sorry.

though they had a historical season one year and won it all does mean a lot...that just accounts for one year. If it is a 2 way tie between the Yanks and Sox...The Yanks dominate the Red Sox in all other categories from American League Championships...Division Champions, and playoff apperances.

It's about overall performance for the span of those 10 years...1 great year doesn't put you over the top.

But I'm sure a lot of people wills hare your outlook cause you can make a valid argument for it

edit

Curse? Really? Please stop withthe curse nonsense...there was no curse...just poor execution and playing shitty for 84 years

6. Article 15

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    There was most definitely a curse, my friend.

The Red Sox also don't own the 2001 and the 2004 choke job that the Yankees do.

7. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    lol, you can say whatever you want...but at the end of the day the team of that decade is based on pure performance...If the Yanks and Sox have the same amount of rings then you look at the underlying factors.

It's not even close how the Yankees dominate in World Series Apperances, Pennants, Division Championships, and playoff appearances...all that gets taken into account.

8. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,602
    Naw, when the BoSox were down in the 9th of the 4th game of the LCS, then pulled the stake out of its heart and chased the Yankees right of the stadium that night -- then won three more games in a row to go onto the World Series victory then did it again two years later. It is so clear -- RedSox is a yes, and Yankee pinstripe a no.

9. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    If NY wins this WS they would have 2 WS and four appearances in this decade, as well as playoffs every year but one (2008) making them the team of the decade.

If NY losses this series it would be the Red Sox for breaking the curse and having the greatest comeback in playoff history in 2004.

10. Article 15

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    It gets taken into account and the underlying factors include the things I mentioned. History, comebacks, choke jobs, etc.