Teaching Slavery in School--Sensitivity v. Erasing History

Umm. The British Empire was largely sustained on slavery right up until 1833 but okay.

No I do not teach the messages sent in white spirituals. You are asking me now to teach not music, but race issues. In elementary school. I briefly touch on this for MLK day but generally, no, I'm not going there with elementary school students. The African-American Spiritual had a profound effect on everything that came after, musically. White Spirituals did not.

The British Empire is not where we live. You are teaching race issues when you teach what you do about black spirituals.

I totally agree but you made a factually inaccurate statement so I corrected it.

There was nothing factually inaccurate about these words:

America has a constitution and generations of people who want to teach how this nation was founded on freedom and equality. But it wasn't.

And the British Empire is gone.

K I don't know what your point is for the purposes of this thread. I'm not teaching that "this nation was founded on freedom and equity"....that's not what I teach. This thread is about what I teach.

This is the title of your thread. Freedom and Equality has everything to do with it.

AMAZING GRACE

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I’m found, was blind, but now I see

‘Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, and grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed

Through many dangers, toils and snares I have already come
‘Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home

The Lord has promised good to me; His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be as long as life endures

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail, and mortal life shall cease
I shall possess, within the veil, a life of joy and peace

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow, the sun forbear to shine
But God, who called me here below, will be forever mine

When we’ve been there ten thousands years, bright shining as the sun
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise than when we’d first begun

ALL GOD'S CHILLUN GOT WINGS

I got a robe, you got a robe
All o' God's chillun got a robe
When I get to heab'n I'm goin' to put on my robe
I'm goin' to shout all ovah God's Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n
Ev'rybody talkin' 'bout heab'n ain't goin' dere
Heab'n, Heab'n

I got-a wings, you got-a wings
All o' God's chillun got-a wings
When I get to heab'n I'm goin' to put on my wings
I'm goin' to fly all ovah God's Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

I got a harp, you got a harp
All o' God's chillun got a harp
When I get to heab'n I'm goin' to take up my harp
I'm goin' to play all ovah God's Heab'n
Heab'n , Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

I got shoes, you got shoes
All o' God's chillun got shoes
When I get to heab'n I'm goin' to put on my shoes
I'm goin' to walk all ovah God's Heab'n
Heab'n , Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

BEAMS OF HEAVEN (SOME DAY)

Beams of heaven, as I go, / Through this wilderness below / Guide my feet in peaceful ways /
Turn my midnights into days / When in the darkness I would grope / Faith always sees a star
of hope / And soon from all life's grief and danger / I shall be free some day

I don't know how long 'twill be / Nor for what the future olds for me / But this I know, if
Jesus leads me / I shall get a home some day

Often times my sky is clear / Joy abounds without a tear / Though a day so bright begun /
Clouds may hide tomorrow's sun / There'll be a day that's always bright / A day that never
yields to night / And in its light the streets of glory / I shall behold some day

Harder yet may be the fight / Right may often yield to might / Wickedness awhile may reign /
Satan's cause may seem to gain / There is a God that rules above / With hand of power and
heart of love / If I am right, He'll fight my battle / I shall have peace some day

Burdens now may crush me down / Disappointments all around / Troubles speak in mournful
sigh / Sorrow through a tear stained eye / There is a world where pleasure reigns / No
mourning soul shall roam its plains / And to that land of peace and glory / I want to go some
day

BEFORE I’D BE A SLAVE (OH, FREEDOM)

Before I’d be a slave
I’d be buried in my grave
And go home to my Lord
And be saved

O, what preachin’!
O, what preachin’!
O, what preachin’ over me, over me

O, what mourning…

O, what singing…

O, what shouting…

O, weeping Mary…

Doubting Thomas…

O, what sighing

O, Freedom…

Songs about a better life after this one where there is no slavery and all are free and equal.

That's what those spirituals were all about.

I hope you realize that Amazing Grace was about as far from an African-American Spiritual as you can get...???

Cultural appropriation has been going on since the beginning of time. It's only really inappropriate when it's for outsized personal gain, ie, like when Elizabeth Warren does it.

Except Warren didn't do that.

Okay, without being an actual member of a tribe, nor with any actual documentation that she was Cherokee, she claimed membership as a Native-American minority for great personal gain. THAT is "cultural appropriation" in its purest and most lamentable form. All the rest of it is exactly what humans have been doing since the beginning of time: borrowing from each other. Some of it is beyond social norms and unseemly, but all of it is expected. Unless you're lying about who you are.

Another example of heinous cultural appropriation: Rachel Dolezal.

She went by what her parents told her. And the people who hired her at Harvard have said they did not consider whatever her heritage was supposed to be. Whites made millions in the music industry appropriating black songs among the many things whites STOLE, not borrowed. But in good white racially biased fashion you mention Warren and Dolezal. I'm surprised you didn't add Jussie Smolette to that.

How can you be offended that white people "stole" your music but not be offended that a white woman literally "stole" a black identity?

You realize that makes NO sense.

Who says I was not offended? Whites did steal black music. Ask Pat Boone.

And the African slaves who were brought here against their will "stole" many, many, MANY elements of the European-influences folk music and religious songs that were already here.

That's how you arrived at the African-American Spiritual. Without it, you'd have the slaves singing only their African music for the duration. They "stole" the music already here--with their own African elements as well.

This is how music has been made from the beginning of time. Your railing about it won't change that.

Slave are known as many names, apprentice is one used. What is important if how people become slaves. They lose their freedom because no laws
protect their freedoms and they no way of protecting themselves from Governments take freedom away.

Sparky guess who is trying to obfuscate the truth now, for fear of "cultural appropriation" and not being "culturally sensitive" and just fear in general?

No Sue the far left is not doing that. Conservatives have been the one trying to alter textbooks and I think you need to understand what cultural appropriation actually is and why it has been an issue.

History is written by the victors.

America grew into an empire , the same way all the other's, Brit, Dutch, Spanish did

Slavery can also be economic .......freedoms can become orwellian

~S~

The British Empire is not where we live. You are teaching race issues when you teach what you do about black spirituals.

I totally agree but you made a factually inaccurate statement so I corrected it.

America has a constitution and generations of people who want to teach how this nation was founded on freedom and equality. But it wasn't.

K I don't know what your point is for the purposes of this thread. I'm not teaching that "this nation was founded on freedom and equity"....that's not what I teach. This thread is about what I teach.

This is the title of your thread. Freedom and Equality has everything to do with it.

AMAZING GRACE

Heab'n, Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

Heab'n, Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

Heab'n , Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

Heab'n , Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

Beams of heaven, as I go, / Through this wilderness below / Guide my feet in peaceful ways /
Turn my midnights into days / When in the darkness I would grope / Faith always sees a star

I don't know how long 'twill be / Nor for what the future olds for me / But this I know, if

Often times my sky is clear / Joy abounds without a tear / Though a day so bright begun /
Clouds may hide tomorrow's sun / There'll be a day that's always bright / A day that never
yields to night / And in its light the streets of glory / I shall behold some day

Harder yet may be the fight / Right may often yield to might / Wickedness awhile may reign /
Satan's cause may seem to gain / There is a God that rules above / With hand of power and
heart of love / If I am right, He'll fight my battle / I shall have peace some day

Burdens now may crush me down / Disappointments all around / Troubles speak in mournful
sigh / Sorrow through a tear stained eye / There is a world where pleasure reigns / No
mourning soul shall roam its plains / And to that land of peace and glory / I want to go some
day

Before I’d be a slave
And go home to my Lord
And be saved

O, what preachin’!
O, what preachin’!

O, what mourning…

O, what singing…

O, what shouting…

O, weeping Mary…

Doubting Thomas…

O, what sighing

O, Freedom…

Songs about a better life after this one where there is no slavery and all are free and equal.

Freedom and equality are in the Spirituals. I'm not going to teach "that's what this nation was founded on" because that has nothing to do with music. ????

What you are teaching is black spirituals have a message. That's good. What you aren't teaching is how white spirituals enabled racism. Both things should be understood IMO. But that's your class.

Cultural appropriation has been going on since the beginning of time. It's only really inappropriate when it's for outsized personal gain, ie, like when Elizabeth Warren does it.

Okay, without being an actual member of a tribe, nor with any actual documentation that she was Cherokee, she claimed membership as a Native-American minority for great personal gain. THAT is "cultural appropriation" in its purest and most lamentable form. All the rest of it is exactly what humans have been doing since the beginning of time: borrowing from each other. Some of it is beyond social norms and unseemly, but all of it is expected. Unless you're lying about who you are.

She went by what her parents told her. And the people who hired her at Harvard have said they did not consider whatever her heritage was supposed to be. Whites made millions in the music industry appropriating black songs among the many things whites STOLE, not borrowed. But in good white racially biased fashion you mention Warren and Dolezal. I'm surprised you didn't add Jussie Smolette to that.

How can you be offended that white people "stole" your music but not be offended that a white woman literally "stole" a black identity?

You were bothered that I cited Rachel Dolezal. You said "in good white racially biased fashion". What do you mean? Here you have a white woman getting a fake tan and fake hair and LITERALLY appropriating a black person for personal gain. How is that not offensive to you?

OH, it must be only because she had the right politics. Right? It's ok that she totally appropriated because she was also a total Leftie. Whereas I have all the respect in the world but I'm conservative, so I'm just a hater.

Whatever. I'm also not at all intimidated and can see through the garbage.

I am a STRONG proponent of teaching kids African-American Spirituals for so many reasons. The primary one is: you cannot teach the history of popular American music without it.

Sure you can....

What would be so much better... if we taught kids to stop believing in sky fairies.

I admit to being flummoxed as to why we'd want to bury this history for any of our students, even though the history is admittedly difficult, even tragic.

Um, given how many white people get on this board every day and minimize both slavery and racism in this country, I would say that the teachers of America aren't doing a good enough job teaching how "difficult" our history was.

AMAZING GRACE

Heab'n, Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

Heab'n, Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

Heab'n , Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

Heab'n , Heab'n
Heab'n, Heab'n

day

Before I’d be a slave
And go home to my Lord
And be saved

O, what preachin’!
O, what preachin’!

O, what mourning…

O, what singing…

O, what shouting…

O, weeping Mary…

Doubting Thomas…

O, what sighing

O, Freedom…

Freedom and equality are in the Spirituals. I'm not going to teach "that's what this nation was founded on" because that has nothing to do with music. ????

What you are teaching is black spirituals have a message. That's good. What you aren't teaching is how white spirituals enabled racism. Both things should be understood IMO. But that's your class.

ALL songs have messages. All of them, unless singers are singing nonsense syllables, which do exist but rarely. I do NOT teach songs just to teach political messages to ELEMENTARY children. There would be no reason for me to teach eleven year old and under children, hey look here, at all these political and racial messages.

The REASON I teach the African-American Spiritual, as I stated, is because they are so pivotal to everything that came after, one, and two, they are exquisite. Those are MUSICAL reasons, and they are solid.

You were bothered that I cited Rachel Dolezal. You said "in good white racially biased fashion". What do you mean? Here you have a white woman getting a fake tan and fake hair and LITERALLY appropriating a black person for personal gain. How is that not offensive to you?

OH, it must be only because she had the right politics. Right? It's ok that she totally appropriated because she was also a total Leftie. Whereas I have all the respect in the world but I'm conservative, so I'm just a hater.

Um, yeah, you support Trump's racism, homophobia and Islamophobia... that's what makes you a hater.

for Ms. Dolezal, she's someone on one had ever heard of because most of us didn't even know Spokane HAD a NAACP chapter.

but if you want to understand WHY she was so messed up in the head.

Dolezal was raised as a Pentecostal. She has contended that her parents frequently abused her; in a 2017 interview, she claimed she was taught to believe that "everything that came naturally, instinctively was wrong"—a point that was "literally beaten into us".[22] In a 2015 interview, Dolezal said she was "punished by skin complexion" by her mother and "white stepfather", and compared this alleged punishment to the punishment suffered by black slaves.[7][23][24][25] Her biological brother, Joshua, and her adoptive brother, Izaiah, have also claimed that they were abused by their parents.[26]

Dolezal was homeschooled via the Christian Liberty Academy CLASS program, achieving a 4.0 GPA. She was one of several co-valedictorians upon graduation in 1996. She won a $2,000 scholarship for college awarded by Tandy Leather for her entry in their 1996 Leather Art contest.[7][27] In 1998 she entered art works at Spokane's annual Juneteenth celebration; she expressed African-American themes through collages and mixed-media works.[28]

Um, yeah, being raised by Christian Fundies fucked with her head... Why am I not surprised?

ALL songs have messages. All of them, unless singers are singing nonsense syllables, which do exist but rarely. I do NOT teach songs just to teach political messages to ELEMENTARY children. There would be no reason for me to teach eleven year old and under children, hey look here, at all these political and racial messages.

Why would you teach such advanced material to 11 year olds at all?

And the African slaves who were brought here against their will "stole" many, many, MANY elements of the European-influences folk music and religious songs that were already here.

That's how you arrived at the African-American Spiritual. Without it, you'd have the slaves singing only their African music for the duration. They "stole" the music already here--with their own African elements as well.

This is how music has been made from the beginning of time. Your railing about it won't change that.

Not exactly Sue. Blacks bought here were denied the use of their language and culture. They were basically forced to copy whites. But if you want to take it there, it was blacks that took Europe out of the dark ages. I'm not the one who initially bought up cultural appropriation. You did. So don't bring up a topic then talk to me like I have 2 left feet because you get called out about it.

I am a STRONG proponent of teaching kids African-American Spirituals for so many reasons. The primary one is: you cannot teach the history of popular American music without it.

Sure you can....

What would be so much better... if we taught kids to stop believing in sky fairies.

I admit to being flummoxed as to why we'd want to bury this history for any of our students, even though the history is admittedly difficult, even tragic.

Um, given how many white people get on this board every day and minimize both slavery and racism in this country, I would say that the teachers of America aren't doing a good enough job teaching how "difficult" our history was.

I have you on ignore Joe and very rarely click on "ignored poster" to read but did today. Just for you, a true story from my classroom: waiting for their teacher to come pick them up from my class the other day, a third grader in line asked her classmates, "How many of you believe in God and Jesus?" About 80% of them raised their hands. I just smiled and let this go on, see.

This is freedom of speech. I did not solicit this question, nor ever could I, or would I. But it was free time and I have no right to shut it down either. It certainly was not an inappropriate question. So you enjoy that.

Why would you teach such advanced material to 11 year olds at all?

Right Joe. They love Row Row Row Your Boat and If You're Happy and You Know It

Not exactly Sue. Blacks bought here were denied the use of their language and culture. They were basically forced to copy whites. But if you want to take it there, it was blacks that took Europe out of the dark ages. I'm not the one who initially bought up cultural appropriation. You did. So don't bring up a topic then talk to me like I have 2 left feet because you get called out about it.

So left to their own devices, black people would never copy the music, art, food and dance of those around them. Fascinating.

Also, I don't believe you.

Whatever. I'm also not at all intimidated and can see through the garbage.

I was bothered that you lied about Warren and that you bought up Dolezal who was not part of the conversation. And again, who told you I wasn't offended? In good white racially biased fashion, you cited these 2 examples when you could have cited Elvis, Al Jolson or any number of others. Whether you are intimidated or not is irrelevant. I see through garbage quite well and this thread is an example of the type of garbage conservatives like you pull. See, you could have just explained how you teach a class about the meaning of black spirituals and how you feel this could help create understanding. Instead you come off with this how you are white and how certainly no one should tell you how you are white and can't teach blacks about black spirituals.

I knew what this was about from jump Sue. But I chose to be diplomatic and look at the positive of you taking the time to learn such things. But none of that does any good if YOUR attitude doesn't change. And you showed your attitude by talking about Warren and Dolezal.

I have you on ignore Joe and very rarely click on "ignored poster" to read but did today. Just for you, a true story from my classroom: waiting for their teacher to come pick them up from my class the other day, a third grader in line asked her classmates, "How many of you believe in God and Jesus?" About 80% of them raised their hands. I just smiled and let this go on, see.

This is freedom of speech. I did not solicit this question, nor ever could I, or would I. But it was free time and I have no right to shut it down either. It certainly was not an inappropriate question. So you enjoy that.

Well, 20% can potentially think for themselves at that age, despite your attempts at brainwashing, so that's progress.

Right Joe. They love Row Row Row Your Boat and If You're Happy and You Know It

I'd be more impressed if you taught them how to read and write, given what I see with these kids today, honestly.

Then again, I have a business predicated on the fact most people can't write for shit... so maybe not. Carry on with your incompetence.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

So left to their own devices, black people would never copy the music, art, food and dance of those around them. Fascinating.

Maybe you should go back to school and learn how things actually happened. It was illegal for blacks to learn how to read or write. Therefore your claims of blacks stealing things from whites dies right there.

Maybe you should go back to school and learn how things actually happened. It was illegal for blacks to learn how to read or write. Therefore your claims of blacks stealing things from whites dies right there.

So. To recap. All my white examples are bad examples, of course--but blacks took Europe out of the dark ages AND they never, ever borrow culture from others. Only when they are FORCED to. I mean, contrary to every other human group in the history of the entire world. I put my own human group soundly in that category of course.

I gotcha, I really do.

So. To recap. All my white examples are bad examples, of course--but blacks took Europe out of the dark ages AND they never, ever borrow culture from others. Only when they are FORCED to. I mean, contrary to every other human group in the history of the entire world. I put my own human group soundly in that category of course.

I gotcha, I really do.

Another white person, trying to minimize racism... yawn, this gets boring.

SweetSue probably thinks the Old South was like Gone with the Wind, and she fancies herself as Scarlet.

I gotcha, I really do.

So wait. Blacks were taken from their homes, sold as slaves, owned by white people in the America's who forced them to give up their language, religion, names, and culture and instead adopt the culture of their masters. And now you are upset they appropriated that culture that was forced upon them?

That's pretty sickening.

I gotcha, I really do.

So wait. Blacks were taken from their homes, sold as slaves, owned by white people in the America's who forced them to give up their language, religion, names, and culture and instead adopt the culture of their masters. And now you are upset they appropriated that culture that was forced upon them?

That's pretty sickening.

Absolutely NOT. Every culture borrows from others, especially as concerning the arts. This does not bother me and never has, no matter WHAT race, religion or culture we're talking about. The poster in question seems to be making the point that blacks never borrowed from any other culture and that, of course, is just wrong.

Do not mistake what I say and then get outraged about what I didn't say.

Forum List

Back