Teaching 'Self-Esteem' Is A Crock

I think self esteem is meaningless. What everyone needs is self confidence.

Self esteem is just feeling good about yourself. Self confidence is feeling good about who you are and what you can do. you can have one without the other.

And the best way to get self confidence is to teach people good principles. by following good and true principles. learning how to be self reliant you can build self confidence and truly benefit society.

Self confidence and self esteem are inter-related. You can't be confident, without feeling good about yourself. You can't feel good about yourself if you haven't accomplished something.

Problem with the 'self esteem' issue, all it took to be rewarded with 'self esteem blather' was breathing.

Self confidence and self esteem are inter-related. You can't be confident, without feeling good about yourself. You can't feel good about yourself if you haven't accomplished something.

I'll have to not-agree, Kath. I'm confident about what I can do, yet I don't much feel 'good' about me. And I Feel VERY good w/o accomplishing anything - all the time. :)

I'll have to not-agree, Kath. I'm confident about what I can do, yet I don't much feel 'good' about me. And I Feel VERY good w/o accomplishing anything - all the time. :)

No, you are mixing apples and oranges. You have healthy self esteem, you are CONFIDENT in your performance, because you know you know what you are doing, being an adult, you also know that what your are doing now, is based on what you've successfully managed in the past, thus you are confident. So you possess both a good self-confidence, based on good self-esteem. Neither of which necessarily equate with a good self-image. Which you should seriously work on, because you are one hell of a good guy!

No, you are mixing apples and oranges. You have healthy self esteem, you are CONFIDENT in your performance, because you know you know what you are doing, being an adult, you also know that what your are doing now, is based on what you've successfully managed in the past, thus you are confident. So you possess both a good self-confidence, based on good self-esteem. Neither of which necessarily equate with a good self-image. Which you should seriously work on, because you are one hell of a good guy!

I second that! :D

I BLOODY HATE RAINBOW FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*deep breath* thanks, i feel better now.

The problem schools have with self-confidence is not that the kids have low self-esteem. That's the symptom. The problem is that they don't have a reason to have high self-esteem.

The problem schools have with self-confidence is not that the kids have low self-esteem. That's the symptom. The problem is that they don't have a reason to have high self-esteem.
Which is a problem of the students, in most cases. Guess what? Do the work, which is NOT designed to be above your abilities. Succeed, then the self-esteem will rise. Do not expect me to kiss ass because a kid has shown up.

GMTA, Kathianne! :) I was just going to post this morning about this. When I went in for parent teacher conferences last week, I saw a poster in the hallway, advertising the "3 Rs."

Remember the old days when the "3 Rs" were "Reading," "WRiting," & "ARithmatic"? Well, those days are gone. The NEW 3 Rs are "Respect Yourself," "Respect Others," and "Respect Your School." :(

You need all of those , don't ya?

Forum List

Back