Query

akiboy

Mar 28, 2006
Mumbai
Could anyone tell me which is the best place in the U.S to pursue Nuclear Physics? I want to pursue Nuclear Physics after my High School. I live in Dubai and I am writing my SAT and SAT2 this year. I still have one more year of High school left and I'll send in my applications to mostly all the Ivy League Institutions next December. I checked the university web and couldn't find a clear answer. I want to specialize mainly in fissile materials and missile technology. I know its very tough getting into Harvard and the other Ivy League's but I want to give it a shot. My academics are pretty good. I ain't a staright A student but I mostly get A's , an occasional A+ and B+'s. My essays are quite good(its a criteria I guess.All the top colleges look at your SAT scores, Your POS (purpose of study for intl students) , SAT scores , TOEFL and your extra curriculars. So could anyone tell me if any of the IVy league instittes offer the above mentioned subjects??

Akshay

Could anyone tell me which is the best place in the U.S to pursue Nuclear Physics? I want to pursue Nuclear Physics after my High School. I live in Dubai and I am writing my SAT and SAT2 this year. I still have one more year of High school left and I'll send in my applications to mostly all the Ivy League Institutions next December. I checked the university web and couldn't find a clear answer. I want to specialize mainly in fissile materials and missile technology. I know its very tough getting into Harvard and the other Ivy League's but I want to give it a shot. My academics are pretty good. I ain't a staright A student but I mostly get A's , an occasional A+ and B+'s. My essays are quite good(its a criteria I guess.All the top colleges look at your SAT scores, Your POS (purpose of study for intl students) , SAT scores , TOEFL and your extra curriculars. So could anyone tell me if any of the IVy league instittes offer the above mentioned subjects??

Akshay
I have to ask... why the interest in nuclear weaponry and in missile technology?

Akshay
I am most familar with California schools, but you will find no better education in Physics and Mathematics anywhere in the world:

University of California at Berkeley: http://www.physics.berkeley.edu/. George Smoot, the 2006 Noble Prize winner in Physics teaches at Berkeley.

University of California at Santa Barbara: http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/. Four Physics Nobel Prize winners teach at UCSB.

California Institute of Technology (Los Angeles): http://www.pma.caltech.edu/GSR/physics.html Home of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the place where all US robotic space missions are controlled (e.g., the two robot vehicles currently operating on the surface of Mars are controlled from CalTech). You can check out the CIT faculty at the following link: http://www.pma.caltech.edu/GSR/facresearch.html. No place knows more about nuclear physics (i.e., particle physics) and missile technology than CalTech. Gaining admission at Caltech is extremely difficult. But check it out.

Kathianne might be able to tell you about the University of Chicago, another great school for Physics and Mathematics. More than 70 Nobel Prize winners have taught at the University of Chicago: http://physics.uchicago.edu/. The University of Chicago is home to the Enrico Fermi Institute for Particle Physics: http://hamilton.uchicago.edu/. It was at the University of Chicago that the first controlled atomic chain reaction was created in 1942. This led directly to the first atomic bomb detonation near Alamogordo, New Mexico, in July 1945.
-

I have to ask... why the interest in nuclear weaponry and in missile technology?

I was always interested in Physics especially about the Structure of an atom. Plus , nuclear wepaons and missiles tech. excite me. It is very interesting to learn the process of fission , fusion , bomb engineering , enrichment and so on. Plus you get payed well.

Akshay

I am most familar with California schools, but you will find no better education in Physics and Mathematics anywhere in the world:

University of California at Berkeley: http://www.physics.berkeley.edu/. George Smoot, the 2006 Noble Prize winner in Physics teaches at Berkeley.

University of California at Santa Barbara: http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/. Four Physics Nobel Prize winners teach at UCSB.

California Institute of Technology (Los Angeles): http://www.pma.caltech.edu/GSR/physics.html Home of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the place where all US robotic space missions are controlled (e.g., the two robot vehicles currently operating on the surface of Mars are controlled from CalTech). You can check out the CIT faculty at the following link: http://www.pma.caltech.edu/GSR/facresearch.html. No place knows more about nuclear physics (i.e., particle physics) and missile technology than CalTech. Gaining admission at Caltech is extremely difficult. But check it out.

Kathianne might be able to tell you about the University of Chicago, another great school for Physics and Mathematics. More than 70 Nobel Prize winners have taught at the University of Chicago: http://physics.uchicago.edu/. The University of Chicago is home to the Enrico Fermi Institute for Particle Physics: http://hamilton.uchicago.edu/. It was at the University of Chicago that the first controlled atomic chain reaction was created in 1942. This led directly to the first atomic bomb detonation near Alamogordo, New Mexico, in July 1945.
-

Thanks a lot One Domino. I'll definitely check out the links. I suppose these aren't Ivy league institutes but IF they are the best institutes in the world offering Nuclear Physics then no harm in trying for an application. The University Of Chicago looks like the best choice.

Akshay

I was always interested in Physics especially about the Structure of an atom. Plus , nuclear wepaons and missiles tech. excite me. It is very interesting to learn the process of fission , fusion , bomb engineering , enrichment and so on. Plus you get payed well.

Akshay

No offense intended, but you must understand that any American that is asked a question like the one you just posed by a foreigner from the Middle East is bound to be suspicious. Especially after 9/11 and especially with the recent events in the news.

You also realize that the only place to use that type of knowledge is either with the United States military or with the military of a nation or power that is hostile to us.

I hope that you want to work for the good guys (that means the U.S.A and not Iran or North Korea). So, let's assume you do. You do realize that means renouncing your citizenship of your country, becoming a United States citizen, then applying for a very high level security clearance. A high level security clearance requires a thorough background check and you have to supply a list of every place you've ever lived, polygraph tests, interviews with family and friends. And it probably means a background check of your family, too. I've heard rumors that they ask you extremely personal questions, but I'm not certain how true they are. I'm not making this stuff up.

Then, you realize that you can't talk about your work to anyone, not even your wife. And travel abroad to see your folks back home will require State Department approval for the rest of your life. It is possible that you won't be able to travel abroad as you please because of what you do.

Also, you may become the target of hostile foreign intelligence (and that's a good possibility)....

Because if you know how to make nuclear bombs, you are a high value target for countries and powers that want to get their hands on that technology.

THAT'S what you want to do with the rest of your life? Have you considered another, related, field?

No offense intended, but you must understand that any American that is asked a question like the one you just posed by a foreigner from the Middle East is bound to be suspicious. Especially after 9/11 and especially with the recent events in the news.

You also realize that the only place to use that type of knowledge is either with the United States military or with the military of a nation or power that is hostile to us.

I hope that you want to work for the good guys (that means the U.S.A and not Iran or North Korea). So, let's assume you do. You do realize that means renouncing your citizenship of your country, becoming a United States citizen, then applying for a very high level security clearance. A high level security clearance requires a thorough background check and you have to supply a list of every place you've ever lived, polygraph tests, interviews with family and friends. And it probably means a background check of your family, too. I've heard rumors that they ask you extremely personal questions, but I'm not certain how true they are. I'm not making this stuff up.

Then, you realize that you can't talk about your work to anyone, not even your wife. And travel abroad to see your folks back home will require State Department approval for the rest of your life. It is possible that you won't be able to travel abroad as you please because of what you do.

Also, you may become the target of hostile foreign intelligence (and that's a good possibility)....

Because if you know how to make nuclear bombs, you are a high value target for countries and powers that want to get their hands on that technology.

THAT'S what you want to do with the rest of your life? Have you considered another, related, field?
Since when does an education in Physics, Mathematics, and Engineering in America require a foreign national to renounce his citizenship? Aki, that is totally wrong. If all a person is looking to do is make bombs or learn about missiles, he can do that on the internet. Aki said he was in high school. He said he was interested in pursuing "nuclear physics." I interpreted his question as asking about an education. But maybe I should have had a paranoid reaction like you. And what did you mean when you judgmentally said, "THAT'S what you want to do with the rest of your life?" Just what exactly is wrong with learning about nuclear weapons and missile technology? Do you think that at this stage in the game that America or India needs no weapons or missile experts? Are you aware that the US and India just signed a historic nuclear technology deal: http://hir.harvard.edu/articles/1363/, and http://www.cfr.org/publication/9663/usindia_nuclear_deal.html. Why shouldn't a son of India be interested in nuclear technology?

Thanks a lot One Domino. I'll definitely check out the links. I suppose these aren't Ivy league institutes but IF they are the best institutes in the world offering Nuclear Physics then no harm in trying for an application. The University Of Chicago looks like the best choice.

Akshay
Aki, Ivy league schools are not especially well known for their Physics programs; except for one: Princeton University: http://physics.princeton.edu/. Here's a link that describes current particle physics research at Princeton: http://physics.princeton.edu/www/jh/research/atomic.html. And you do not need to renounce your citizenship to gain admission.

Since when does an education in Physics, Mathematics, and Engineering in America require a foreign national to renounce his citizenship? Aki, that is totally wrong. If all a person is looking to do is make bombs or learn about missiles, he can do that on the internet. Aki said he was in high school. He said he was interested pursuing "nuclear physics." I interpreted his question as asking about an education. But maybe I should have had a paranoid reaction like you. And what did you mean when you judgmentally said, "THAT'S what you want to do with the rest of your life?" Just what exactly is wrong with learning about nuclear weapons and missile technology? Do you think that at this stage in the game that America or India needs no weapons or missile experts? Are you aware that the US and India just signed a historic nuclear technology deal: http://hir.harvard.edu/articles/1363/, and http://www.cfr.org/publication/9663/usindia_nuclear_deal.html. Why shouldn't a son of India be interested in nuclear technology?

Dubai is in the Middle East, it's not in India.

He said that he was interested in studying fissile material and missile technology. There is only one purpose for that combination of technology, and that is a military one. He did say

"It is very interesting to learn the process of fission , fusion , bomb engineering , enrichment and so on. "

I didn't mean that if he studied nuclear physics he would be required to do all the things I described. However, he would be required to do all those things if he decided to pursue a career designing nuclear weapons.

I suppose I'm being paranoid when I question why a person who is from a Middle Eastern country asks about learning about fissile material and missile technology and claims he's a high school student? I'm supposed to believe him? For all I know, he could be someone posing as a student.

We did have 9/11 remember? Do you remember those fellows learned how to fly planes here in America were also from the Mid East? You have been listening to the news, lately, right?

I don't think it's paranoid to exercise caution on the Internet.

When I asked "THAT'S what you want to do with the rest of you life?" I meant that he would have to put up with the hassles of having the State Department giving him permission each time he wanted to travel abroad, he would not be able to tell anyone about his work, he would have his personal life poked and prodded at by the DoD and DISA.. THAT'S what I meant. I wasn't passing judgement, I was asking him if he realized what a hassle it was to be in that line of work and how it affected other parts of his life.

Having a security clearance, especially a top secret one (and a very high level of top secret at that) is no picnic.

Dubai is in the Middle East, it's not in India. I know where Dubai is. Aki is Indian and has lived in the US.

He said that he was interested in studying fissile material and missile technology. There is only one purpose for that combination of technology, and that is a military one. He did say

"It is very interesting to learn the process of fission , fusion , bomb engineering , enrichment and so on. "

I didn't mean that if he studied nuclear physics he would be required to do all the things I described. However, he would be required to do all those things if he decided to pursue a career designing nuclear weapons.

I suppose I'm being paranoid when I question why a person who is from a Middle Eastern country How many times on this board does Aki have to state that he is Indian? asks about learning about fissile material and missile technology and claims he's a high school student? I'm supposed to believe him? For all I know, he could be someone posing as a student.

We did have 9/11 remember? Do you remember those fellows learned how to fly planes here in America were also from the Mid East? You have been listening to the news, lately, right?

I don't think it's paranoid to exercise caution on the Internet.

When I asked "THAT'S what you want to do with the rest of you life?" I meant that he would have to put up with the hassles of having the State Department giving him permission each time he wanted to travel abroad, he would not be able to tell anyone about his work, he would have his personal life poked and prodded at by the DoD and DISA.. THAT'S what I meant. I wasn't passing judgement, I was asking him if he realized what a hassle it was to be in that line of work and how it affected other parts of his life.

Having a security clearance, especially a top secret one (and a very high level of top secret at that) is no picnic.
-

Regardless of whether he's Indian or not

1. I realize that he isn't required to renounce his citizenship, get a clearance simply to apply to an American school to study nuclear physics. I never said he did. I meant that, if he did want to get into the field of nuclear weapons development, he would be required to do those things.

2. If he did get the required clearances, he would find that it was a hassle. Especially with the high level of clearance he would need (I believe work involving atomic weapons requires a clearance that is almost as high, or just as high, as a crypto clearance)

3. I wasn't aware of his claim from previous posts that he was Indian, I only saw the location he posted was the city of Dubai in the UAE.

I would consider U of C is you can brave the Chicago winters. ;) It's an 'egghead'/nerd school-the idea of a good time is drinking contests where one can quote the founders of your discipline, seriously. :shocked: Let me tell you, Max Weber was a card! :laugh:

With that said, Chicago is a natural, home of "the bomb" right in the football field. Not to mention Fermi Labs and the construction of the world's largest super collider or whatever it's called, (science is not my field). Here's a good link:

http://physics.uchicago.edu/x_applied.html

First of all I am not an Arab. I am an Indian. If you come to Dubai you won't feel that you are in an Arab city you will feel as though you are in Miami or Singapore. You could describe me as a pro-Indian,pro-American,pro-Democrat(supporter of democracy and not the Democrat party in the U.S) type of person. And I have many close relatives who are scattered throughout the U.S and some of them are in top jobs like in IBM in Silicon Valley and an aunt in a U.S medical firm etc.etc.. I have visited the States twice and gone to almost every city on the WetsCoast and East Coast. And I assure you I have no intention of working against any enemy of India or U.S.A. I either want to work in Harwell(U.K's atomic agency) , in the U.S or in the Homi Bhaba Atomic Research Agency in Mumbai ,India (Not an enemy of U.S I presume). And I know that the U.S military is very very secretive on these issues especially when it comes to their nuclear phycists. Right now my plan is to apply for college in any of the Ivy league institutes in America OR write the entrance exam of the IIT(Indian Institute Of Technology). As I said I want to study and work either in the U.S or U.K tjough my first choice will be the U.S as all my cousins,uncles,aunts(all tech geeks) have studied in States and are settled there.Plus , the U.S is very very friendly especially Indians I heard whereas in U.K racism does exist.

I have thought about other career options like Media Technology , Software , Military Science but I have found Nuclear Physics both fascinating and exciting.Lets see now..though I wouldn't mind if I got into Media Tech or Software.

Akshay

Aki, check out Kathianne's link. Very cool.
]

Thanks O.D and Kathianne. I'll definitely check out the link. I actually got a paper and a pencil to write down all the links and I'll browse through them carefully.

Thanks again!!!

Akshay

First of all I am not an Arab. I am an Indian. If you come to Dubai you won't feel that you are in an Arab city you will feel as though you are in Miami or Singapore. You could describe me as a pro-Indian,pro-American,pro-Democrat(supporter of democracy and not the Democrat party in the U.S) type of person. And I have many close relatives who are scattered throughout the U.S and some of them are in top jobs like in IBM in Silicon Valley and an aunt in a U.S medical firm etc.etc.. I have visited the States twice and gone to almost every city on the WetsCoast and East Coast. And I assure you I have no intention of working against any enemy of India or U.S.A. I either want to work in Harwell(U.K's atomic agency) , in the U.S or in the Homi Bhaba Atomic Research Agency in Mumbai ,India (Not an enemy of U.S I presume). And I know that the U.S military is very very secretive on these issues especially when it comes to their nuclear phycists. Right now my plan is to apply for college in any of the Ivy league institutes in America OR write the entrance exam of the IIT(Indian Institute Of Technology). As I said I want to study and work either in the U.S or U.K tjough my first choice will be the U.S as all my cousins,uncles,aunts(all tech geeks) have studied in States and are settled there.Plus , the U.S is very very friendly especially Indians I heard whereas in U.K racism does exist.

I have thought about other career options like Media Technology , Software , Military Science but I have found Nuclear Physics both fascinating and exciting.Lets see now..though I wouldn't mind if I got into Media Tech or Software.

Akshay
Well, good luck to you then. I didn't want to come across negatively. I think our country can use more brainy type guys like you. I hope that you decide to come the States and decide to stay, whether it's making bombs or slinging code.

I work with a couple of Indians and a Pakistani lady. I found them all to be very nice people, very friendly and (I hate to have admit this) a lot more polite than many Americans.

BTW... I have to confess that I think Indian women are among some of the prettiest ones on the planet. I think it has to do with those wide, dark eyes of theirs.

Well, good luck to you then. I didn't want to come across negatively. I think our country can use more brainy type guys like you. I hope that you decide to come the States and decide to stay, whether it's making bombs or slinging code.

I work with a couple of Indians and a Pakistani lady. I found them all to be very nice people, very friendly and (I hate to have admit this) a lot more polite than many Americans.

BTW... I have to confess that I think Indian women are among some of the prettiest ones on the planet. I think it has to do with those wide, dark eyes of theirs.

Thank You!! I was ceratinly right in thinking that the Yankees are very very polite then their Atlantic counterparts (The Brits)!!

And I am not a nerd !:cool: I just happen to like this particular brach of physics a lot...You ask me anything else except this subject and I will be like "Whaaaaat!?"

Akshay

Forum List

Back