Teacher Shortage at Crisis Point in Special Education

Discussion in 'Education' started by SweetSue92, Aug 8, 2018.

1. ScorpioRising007

ScorpioRising007 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Oh really? You want to talk to the 30+ Schools I applied to for Special Education Teacher jobs that wouldn't hire me? Or ask my classmates why they couldn't get hired either as Special Ed teachers? The competition for teachers is FIERCE even in Special Ed. I would go to interviews and they would have 20+ people interviewing for the job. All had degrees in Education with Special Ed. licenses. Been 7 years or so since got Masters in Ed with Sped license renewed license over at least twice and about to expire...

I gave up and got a CDL and became a truck driver instead because all I was getting was substitute teacher assignments or teachers aid with no benefits that just didn't pay the bills. I would go to teacher interviews be denied teaching position and then they would try to talk you into taking a low pay substitute teacher job or teacher aids job with no benefits. My wife has large medical bills that won't cut it.

Unlike my Masters in Education with teaching license in Special Ed, as soon as I got that CDL I got hired immediately on the spot as a truck driver. Great pay starting out with good benefits and at least with trucking make a good salary and benefits for me and my wife that her medical bills can be covered.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,719
    There might not be a shortage if special ed teachers were paid appropriately. In some cases, combat pay would be more applicable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,677
    K when was this? Long about 2008 or so? Because the market wasn't tight then, the economy was terrible and there were too many teachers and not enough jobs. And I would say this was true for the next few years or so. But it's definitely not true now. If you're in special ed and not getting a job NOW...there's something going on. With you, and your friends. Sorry, but it's just the truth.

4. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41,097
    Lolol.

One of the many reasons our schools are failing is the fact that we are *mainstreaming* not only criminals but retards in our schools. When you shift the focus to accomodating children who are criminal or who constantly disrupt the classroom or demand the teacher's undivided attention, the quality of education the other children receive takes a shit.