Teacher may loose job because she had a pic of the president in her room

Oct 2, 2004
Teacher defends pic of president

Published in the Home News Tribune 10/03/04
By JERRY BARCA
and DINA GUIRGUIS
STAFF WRITERS
SOUTH BRUNSWICK: A middle school teacher walked out on her job after being asked to remove a picture of the president from her classroom, she said.

Though she says he has not resigned, the teacher's situation at Crossroads Middle School South is not yet resolved.

Shiba Pillai-Diaz's walkout involved the local police, left school officials mum and appalled the local Republican Party.

Pillai-Diaz, 33, a volunteer with the Bush campaign and an English teacher, has had a publicity picture of the First Couple hanging in her classroom since the start of the school year, she said.

The photo became an issue last week.

Parents e-mailed an assistant principal accusing Pillai-Diaz of suppressing free speech because the teacher refused to talk to pupils about why the color photo hung in the room.

"Students said, 'You like George Bush? He's killed people,' " Pillai-Diaz said. "As a rule I don't talk about my politics in the classroom."

According to Pillai-Diaz, Assistant Principal Mark Daniels said he had no problem with the photo, which hung next to posters of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence. But Daniels told the teacher she should address questions that arose because of the photo.

"He wasn't giving me the power to direct conversation in my classroom," said Pillai-Diaz, who regarded the picture just as an image of the current president.

Thursday, at back-to-school night, the controversy exploded after a parent asked why the picture was up, Pillai-Diaz said.

"The way she asked was a political assault," the teacher said.

Then the parents started their own debate about the picture, and one mother stormed out of the classroom, Pillai-Diaz said.

Friday morning, the teacher, who is in her sixth year of teaching and her first in South Brunswick, was called into the assistant principal's office. Daniels told her to remove the picture, Pillai-Diaz said.

"He said, 'If you care about your job, you'll take the picture down,' " she said.

Pillai-Diaz told the assistant principal to take the picture down himself. Then she sought Principal Jim Warfel, who gave her an upbraiding.

"He said, 'You've caused more disruption, hatred and anger than anyone I've ever known,' " she said.

The teacher said the principal told her to "get out," so she left and headed to the South Brunswick Police Department.

An officer accompanied Pillai-Diaz back to the school because she said she feared for her safety when she went to collect her belongings, police said.

Once Pillai-Diaz felt safe at the school the officer left, police said.

In the school, Pillai-Diaz had a two-hour meeting with Superintendent Gary McCartney and a representative from the teachers' union. Both parties told the teacher she would lose any fight she would try to start about the picture, Pillai-Diaz said.

"They weren't interested in the substance of the issue," she said.

The superintendent said no one has resigned, been fired or suspended. McCartney would not discuss the incident, calling it a personnel matter.

When reached Friday night, Sylvia Lee, president of the teachers' union, said no teacher had been fired and she didn't know about the incident. Lee did not return multiple telephone messages left for her yesterday.

Board of Education President Robert Long declined to comment on the incident, calling it a personnel matter.

He did say he could not find any district policy addressing the presence of pictures of presidents in classrooms. He said it would be too early to tell whether the incident merited a policy change.

"We don't want to develop a policy for something that is not needed," Long said. "Whatever the facts may be, it is something we will certainly take a look at if needed."

Democrats dominate South Brunswick's government, holding the Mayor's Office and three of the four council seats.

Of the 40,000 people living in the township, about 5,000 are registered Republicans. Registered Democrats outnumber them by a 3-to-2 margin, said local Republican officials.

"It's horrible that a teacher was asked to take down a picture of the president of the United States," said Dawn Smith, chair of the local Republican Committee. "It's unconscionable."

Smith said she would expect the same procedures to apply whether it was President Bush or former President Clinton.

"When did we stop honoring our country's leaders?" Smith asked.

Pillai Diaz said the only way school officials may have known she was a Republican is because she could not attend a meeting with teachers on the day she volunteered at the Republican National Convention in New York.

"I never once said 'I am a Republican' or 'I support the president,' " Pillai-Diaz said.

Pillai-Diaz turned in the keys to her classroom on Friday. She packed up the picture and her classroom decorations, taking them with her when she left. She is unsure about her future employment, but said she is supposed to speak with district officials about it tomorrow.

"My ultimate goal is to teach," she said.

Link

A teacher that cannot/will not answer questions about something she/he has displayed in her/his room, should be fired.

Its the President of the United States. Why shouldnt a teacher be allowed to hang a picture of the President in a classroom? These kids are supposed to be learning arent they? Considering there are a number of people who cant identify the President this sounds like a good idea.

Its the President of the United States. Why shouldnt a teacher be allowed to hang a picture of the President in a classroom? These kids are supposed to be learning arent they? Considering there are a number of people who cant identify the President this sounds like a good idea.

So the teacher, weak though she might be, couldn't say, "This is the President of the US and his wife? That is why I hung it?" Now, personally, I can think of better arguments, though I wouldn't do so, in an election year.

I think this whole damn thing is silly. This is a picture of a sitting President in an American classroom. Why should there have been questions asked to begin with? If this were 5 years ago, do you see anyone storming out of a classroom because a picture of a sex fiend was on the wall in a room where children see it all day? It's political BS, plain and simple.

Kathianne said:
So the teacher, weak though she might be, couldn't say, "This is the President of the US and his wife? That is why I hung it?" Now, personally, I can think of better arguments, though I wouldn't do so, in an election year.

True, the teacher should have said that, but it doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

Jimmyeatworld said:
True, the teacher should have said that, but it doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

Sorry Jimmy, we agree on most things, but I teach the same grade level. Everything, I hang in my room is open for discussion/arguement. All is curriculum driven. As it should be. A middle school, even secondary school teacher's job is not to convert but to teach thinking skills to. I have my take, but my challenge is to teach the children to think it through logically.

If I am instead 'converting' or 'brainwashing' I'm not fit to teach your kids. What if I'm far left, far right, hate driven, ????

Kathianne said:
Sorry Jimmy, we agree on most things, but I teach the same grade level. Everything, I hang in my room is open for discussion/arguement. All is curriculum driven. As it should be. A middle school, even secondary school teacher's job is not to convert but to teach thinking skills to. I have my take, but my challenge is to teach the children to think it through logically.

If I am instead 'converting' or 'brainwashing' I'm not fit to teach your kids. What if I'm far left, far right, hate driven, ????

There was a picture of the President in my classroom when I was in elementary school, and there was nothing to debate because it was a picture of the President of the United States. Now, if this were in 2000 before the election, or if it were a picture of John Kerry this year, I would see the problem. I just think it's sad when a teacher puts up a picture of the President of the United States and phrases like "brainwashing" start coming up. It's not like the students are going to be voting anyway.

I don't know. Maybe if I were a teacher I would see it differently, but as it is I don't see why there should be such a commotion about it.

1) A picture of the ELECTED leader of this country in a PUBLIC school funded by US taxpayer money should never even be an issue.

2) Students asking a question about something in THEIR classroom, whether hung by a teacher or the school itself, deserves an answer.

3) Parents asking about items, pictures, or anything else in a classroom need to ensure that its just a question, not an attack because they may disagree with it.

This is a ridiculous issue and I hope the teacher gets positive results from whatever may happen.

DKSuddeth said:
1) A picture of the ELECTED leader of this country in a PUBLIC school funded by US taxpayer money should never even be an issue.

2) Students asking a question about something in THEIR classroom, whether hung by a teacher or the school itself, deserves an answer.

3) Parents asking about items, pictures, or anything else in a classroom need to ensure that its just a question, not an attack because they may disagree with it.

This is a ridiculous issue and I hope the teacher gets positive results from whatever may happen.

I agree with you DK, would add any teacher, including private/parochial. Got to be able to rationalize what you do.

As a teacher, I agree with the principal and with Kathianne on this one...examine the article:

Parents e-mailed an assistant principal accusing Pillai-Diaz of suppressing free speech because the teacher refused to talk to pupils about why the color photo hung in the room.

Ok, so the teacher put up a publicity photo of the President in the classroom in plain sight of the students, in an area of their classroom everyone could see.

"Students said, 'You like George Bush? He's killed people,' " Pillai-Diaz said. "As a rule I don't talk about my politics in the classroom."

That statement might have worked if the photograph had been displayed on his desk. But he is a teacher, it is in his room...and as an educator a statement to his students like, "He is the sitting president of the United States of America, his photograph is displayed in our classroom because he is the leader of our nation." would have answered the question. He would not have had to get invovled in politics.

More importantly, however, as an educator, this is an election year. How about using the teachable moment that the picture raised. Divide the class in half, have half research Kerry and the other half research Bush...hold a "debate" have the other classes in your grade vote based on which side argued their point better. Allow the children to learn about politics, they are in middle school, they SHOULD BE learning about gov't. HE IS A TEACHER AFTERALL, his politics...really SHOULD have nothing to do with it...he should be neutral (at least at school) in order to best teach his students.

According to Pillai-Diaz, Assistant Principal Mark Daniels said he had no problem with the photo, which hung next to posters of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence. But Daniels told the teacher she should address questions that arose because of the photo.

This had nothing to do with a teacher being punished regarding freedom of speech...but rather a teacher being punished for not communicating appropriately with students and parents. TOTALLY within the rights of the school involved.

People who are trying to make this an anti-Bush matter are wrong.

Finally, a teacher does not OWN their classroom...it is not their little WORLD that they CONTROL...I know many teachers who feel that way, but in the public school system, at least, it is owned by the students and their parents...by the taxpayers. While the teacher should have freedom, that freedom should be used to teach the children, not to put things up in their classroom and then refuse to discuss them when the students bring up good points.

George Bush HAS killed lots of people (in a standpoint of taking our nation to war). That is a FACT! The teacher SHOULD have said, "You're right. GWB has ordered us to war...and a lot of people have unfortunately died because of it. Why is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

The teacher was wrong not because of wanting to display a picture of the President, but because he refused to discuss it with his students and their parents.

Gem said:
As a teacher, I agree with the principal and with Kathianne on this one...examine the article:

Ok, so the teacher put up a publicity photo of the President in the classroom in plain sight of the students, in an area of their classroom everyone could see.

That statement might have worked if the photograph had been displayed on his desk. But he is a teacher, it is in his room...and as an educator a statement to his students like, "He is the sitting president of the United States of America, his photograph is displayed in our classroom because he is the leader of our nation." would have answered the question. He would not have had to get invovled in politics.

More importantly, however, as an educator, this is an election year. How about using the teachable moment that the picture raised. Divide the class in half, have half research Kerry and the other half research Bush...hold a "debate" have the other classes in your grade vote based on which side argued their point better. Allow the children to learn about politics, they are in middle school, they SHOULD BE learning about gov't. HE IS A TEACHER AFTERALL, his politics...really SHOULD have nothing to do with it...he should be neutral (at least at school) in order to best teach his students.

This had nothing to do with a teacher being punished regarding freedom of speech...but rather a teacher being punished for not communicating appropriately with students and parents. TOTALLY within the rights of the school involved.

People who are trying to make this an anti-Bush matter are wrong.

Finally, a teacher does not OWN their classroom...it is not their little WORLD that they CONTROL...I know many teachers who feel that way, but in the public school system, at least, it is owned by the students and their parents...by the taxpayers. While the teacher should have freedom, that freedom should be used to teach the children, not to put things up in their classroom and then refuse to discuss them when the students bring up good points.

George Bush HAS killed lots of people (in a standpoint of taking our nation to war). That is a FACT! The teacher SHOULD have said, "You're right. GWB has ordered us to war...and a lot of people have unfortunately died because of it. Why is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

The teacher was wrong not because of wanting to display a picture of the President, but because he refused to discuss it with his students and their parents.

I agree with all of the above. Difference is, I don't care if public or private school, a competent teacher should be able to discuss anything they post in their room.

At the middle school level, only an idiot would have a pic of any candidate, incumbent or not, without being willing to discuss their policies...

Oh, I agree completely. There is not a book in my classroom I have not read, and I have four entire bookshelves of books. I could pick one at random and give you my reasoning and rationale for having it in my room...I would do the same if I was teaching in a private school.

I was just dealing with the fact that in a private school you do tend to have a bit more leeway, while in public school there are actual laws set up regarding your power and what you can and can not do.

I'm getting very scared for sanity. This country is growing every-so-short of mental capcities. Lies are being accepted as truth, and truth is being turned away.

(sigh)...

This country will soon degenerate into a secular/communist society; without the law-enforcement.

:(

At least the Russians had low crime rates. This country treats criminals as victims.

:vomit:

Gem said:
Oh, I agree completely. There is not a book in my classroom I have not read, and I have four entire bookshelves of books. I could pick one at random and give you my reasoning and rationale for having it in my room...I would do the same if I was teaching in a private school.

I was just dealing with the fact that in a private school you do tend to have a bit more leeway, while in public school there are actual laws set up regarding your power and what you can and can not do.

Only if the teacher suks.

Palestinian Jew said:
She must either like Bush a lot or hate her job to quit over a picture.

How about she/he is an idiot that should not be teaching, regardless of their political persuasion?

What's really the most disturbing to me is that our children know about politics at all. When I was that age, I didn't know the difference between a Republican, a Democrat or a Communist. Why can't children just be children and taught that that man is the president of the United States? It's a shame that teachers today have to be politicians as well as instructors.

Does anyone else see what the proliferation of mass media is doing to our children and the coming generations? What will America be when God and country are only a memory?

Vic

Victor said:
What's really the most disturbing to me is that our children know about politics at all. When I was that age, I didn't know the difference between a Republican, a Democrat or a Communist. Why can't children just be children and taught that that man is the president of the United States? It's a shame that teachers today have to be politicians as well as instructors.

Does anyone else see what the proliferation of mass media is doing to our children and the coming generations? What will America be when God and country are only a memory?

Vic

I agree. Seems to me that one, even as late as Middle School, can teach that anyone willing to put themselves and their families 'out there' cares deeply about the country. From that point, one can encapsulate their 'takes' on various issues-the most dangerous territory, because your description can skew what the kids believe. I'm very careful here. (GW has a problem with me, I back over the other way.)

Forum List

Back