Teacher Dress Codes: yes or no?

Teacher Dress Codes: yes or no?

• Yes and explain

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No and explain

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
My district has no dress code for teachers (although teachers can be told to behave more professional). I wish we did because what a few of my peers wear to teach is downright embarrassing.

I remember the only year that I ever sent my daughter to public school. Teacher showed up to Parent-Teacher Day in a t-shirt with no bra. And trust me when I tell you this heifer had NO business EVER going without a bra. Talk about traumatizing. I have no doubt that whole herds of pubescent boys were put off their sexual development by years.

Why?
You're skeered of breasts? Really?
To be disgusted by unsupported huge-assed breasts does not mean "fear".

I fear it means something worse.

I shoulda been a psychologist.

You shoulda been a test animal.

Female teachers that wear dresses up to their crotch, boobs hanging out with low cut tops, skin tight clothes....that is unprofessional. Yes, they need a dress code. Suits? No. Too hot. Too uncomfortable. Nothing wrong with nice golf-like shirts (polo) and khaki's for summer...nice mens sweaters for winter. For ladies...a longish skirt, blouse or sweater, decent shoes (NO HEELS).

And all students should have some sort of uniformity of color and style, not necessarily UNIforms.

Wow, I'm about halfway through this thread and I can't believe that almost everyone who has weighed in has said female teachers should wear dresses or skirts. Are you all picturing teachers who "stand and deliver" all day long? High school? The last time you were in K-12 education?

I teach in elem. school and very, very rarely wear skirts or dresses. I am up and down on the floor all. day. long. That's...not cool. I wear nice dress pants with accessories and look professional, don't get me wrong. But skirts are not quite the thing when you're on the floor with kids. That's why most districts try to be flexible with dressing. You have everything from preschool teachers to special ed teachers who are quite physical with children (not like it sounds, but they are manipulating children physically) to Phys Ed teachers. Dress is not "one size fits all", so generally things like "no jeans, no yoga pants, professional dress" will do the trick.

Anyway, interesting responses!

Female teachers that wear dresses up to their crotch, boobs hanging out with low cut tops, skin tight clothes....that is unprofessional. Yes, they need a dress code. Suits? No. Too hot. Too uncomfortable. Nothing wrong with nice golf-like shirts (polo) and khaki's for summer...nice mens sweaters for winter. For ladies...a longish skirt, blouse or sweater, decent shoes (NO HEELS).

And all students should have some sort of uniformity of color and style, not necessarily UNIforms.

Wow, I'm about halfway through this thread and I can't believe that almost everyone who has weighed in has said female teachers should wear dresses or skirts. Are you all picturing teachers who "stand and deliver" all day long? High school? The last time you were in K-12 education?

I teach in elem. school and very, very rarely wear skirts or dresses. I am up and down on the floor all. day. long. That's...not cool. I wear nice dress pants with accessories and look professional, don't get me wrong. But skirts are not quite the thing when you're on the floor with kids. That's why most districts try to be flexible with dressing. You have everything from preschool teachers to special ed teachers who are quite physical with children (not like it sounds, but they are manipulating children physically) to Phys Ed teachers. Dress is not "one size fits all", so generally things like "no jeans, no yoga pants, professional dress" will do the trick.

I do not necessarily think dresses or skirts are required, nor do I think jackets and ties are required for male teachers, especially for teachers who have active or messy jobs. At this point, not looking like a homeless person would be a step up for some people.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why being an authority figure is such an outrageous, distasteful idea to so many folks.

I do not necessarily think dresses or skirts are required, nor do I think jackets and ties are required for male teachers, especially for teachers who have active or messy jobs. At this point, not looking like a homeless person would be a step up for some people.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why being an authority figure is such an outrageous, distasteful idea to so many folks.

I don't mind it at all--I mean, being an "authority figure". But for the age I teach, being a kind an approachable authority figure is important. But I think understanding your role altogether is vital, and in general, your body, age, and how to dress yourself.

When I was a young teacher, I took care to look "crisp" because I'm very small and looked young. Now, I strive to look professional at all times, but know I don't look so young anymore--ha! So I know skirts are not required. Really in my climate, skirts are often impractical anyway. They then require tights in the winter, and you're just cold all the time. No thanks.

Insecurity

Me neither. I rather enjoy walking into class and having 60 people jump to attention.

Yes. There’s a certain standard that should be upheld.

That said, I’m guilty of bare arms when my classroom gets insanely hot. I would dare administration to teach in that heat and complain about how I dress.

No, because "dress code" means uniformity, and uniformity sucks. It's a strongarm way to bury individuality, creativity, personal expression and it drops the hammer of authoritarianism.

Yep, picture of teachers during the reign of Mao:

images

Each holding the Little Red Book***

What is the Little Red Book?

My district has no dress code for teachers (although teachers can be told to behave more professional). I wish we did because what a few of my peers wear to teach is downright embarrassing.

I remember the only year that I ever sent my daughter to public school. Teacher showed up to Parent-Teacher Day in a t-shirt with no bra. And trust me when I tell you this heifer had NO business EVER going without a bra. Talk about traumatizing. I have no doubt that whole herds of pubescent boys were put off their sexual development by years.

Why?
You're skeered of breasts? Really?
To be disgusted by unsupported huge-assed breasts does not mean "fear". And to show up at a parent/teacher meeting with unsupported huge breasts is ridiculous.

It kind of sounds fearful to me.

But that’s what happens in a society where breasts are more entertainment than nourishment for babies.

It depends on one's expectations.

If "school" is supposed to be an institution of education, and it nevertheless requires the educator to be an "authority figure" --- they're obviously doing it wrong, as well as undermining the very mission.

OTOH if "school" is supposed to be a monstrous 19th century mandatory militaristic regimentation where kids are rubber-stamped into cookie-cutter cutouts of what the State dictates while individual originality and creativity is abhorred and punished, then yes, 'authority figure' is what you want. Preferably with torture devices. Because somebody's got to do the punishing.
:whipg:

Personally I like to call a term what it is. If we call an institution "school", then I expect a "school", in the first definition. I'm particular that way.

If "school" is supposed to be an institution of education, and it nevertheless requires the educator to be an "authority figure" --- they're obviously doing it wrong, as well as undermining the very mission.

OTOH if "school" is supposed to be a monstrous 19th century mandatory militaristic regimentation where kids are rubber-stamped into cookie-cutter cutouts of what the State dictates while individual originality and creativity is abhorred and punished, then yes, 'authority figure' is what you want. Preferably with torture devices. Because somebody's got to do the punishing.

Personally I like to call a term what it is. If we call an institution "school", then I expect a "school", in the first definition. I'm particular that way.

I'm missing the part where you explain why "institution of education" and "authority" are mutually exclusive, other than in your own mind because you're in need of therapy.

Ignoring your hyperbole, consider which system produced the greater number of superior minds and success. Late 19th to mid 20th Century, or late 20th - early 21st?

Now, make us laugh.

I'm missing the part where you explain why "institution of education" and "authority" are mutually exclusive, other than in your own mind because you're in need of therapy.

Neither you nor I suggested they're 'mutually exclusive'. You expressed a flummoxation on the question of why it would be "distasteful". So I unflummoxed you and now you want to change the question.

Matter of fact one of these authoritarian jackwagons articulated it himself, to wit:

I rather enjoy walking into class and having 60 people jump to attention.
---- that sound like somebody with the slightest interest in educating? Or does it sound like the sadistic fantasies of a micropenised schlemiel looking for inferiors to validate himself?

Further, you apparently already know all this since you already said elsewhere that you home-school. And good for you for doing that. So I suspect you're just arguing without disagreeing just for the exercise.

Last edited:

Ignoring your hyperbole, consider which system produced the greater number of superior minds and success. Late 19th to mid 20th Century, or late 20th - early 21st?

Now, make us laugh.

Remind me again what time period da Vinci came from.
Or Copernicus or Galileo or Newton. Or Rousseau or Voltaire, or Franklin or Jefferson.
Tell the class about Abraham Lincoln's mandatory 'schooling'.
Rotsa ruck.

---- that sound like somebody with the slightest interest in educating? Or does it sound like the sadistic fantasies of a micropenised schlemiel looking for inferiors to validate himself?

Such a silly little boy. I was not always chief. I went through the same process as they. Discipline and respect are among the higher virtues.

Further, you apparently already know all this since you already said elsewhere that you home-school.

Actually, the formal schooling was mostly my wife and her associates. I mostly played the role of "bank" and "comic relief".

So I suspect you're just arguing without disagreeing just for the exercise.

:auiqs.jpg:

I'm not arguing at all.

Now, make us laugh.

Remind me again what time period da Vinci came from.
Or Copernicus or Galileo or Newton. Or Rousseau or Voltaire, or Franklin or Jefferson.
Tell the class about Abraham Lincoln's mandatory 'schooling'.
Rotsa ruck.

I see you, as is your habit, misread the question.

Such a silly little boy. I was not always chief. I went through the same process as they. Discipline and respect are among the higher virtues.

Further, you apparently already know all this since you already said elsewhere that you home-school.

Actually, the formal schooling was mostly my wife and her associates. I mostly played the role of "bank" and "comic relief".

I'm not arguing at all.

Uhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm...... them comments ain't writ to you Evelyn Wood.

Once again reading comprehension lessons are in order.

I'm not arguing at all.

:laughing0301:

Maybe take a look at #113.

Pogo, did you go to a school with a dress code or required uniform?

Or is that you are just living a super duper libertarian hippy "against the Man" syndrome?

We did not have uniforms but there was a dress code when I grew up.

It is the society choice and for me it does not matter to me but I can swing either way...

I'm not arguing at all.

:laughing0301:

Maybe take a look at #113.

Precisely. And that's why I recommend reading comprehension lessons.

:290968001256257790-final:

SMH

Forum List

Back