Tariffs DO raise prices: That is the point!

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
If you want Americans to reduce their purchases of Chinese products, tariffs are the best way to do it. There will be a slight increase in the retail prices of these products (tariffs are applied at the wholesale level), but consumers can mitigate this effect by switching to other products.

So why all the hoopla about "punishing" American consumers? Does anybody believe that we will be better off by preserving the status quo?

If you want Americans to reduce their purchases of Chinese products, tariffs are the best way to do it. There will be a slight increase in the retail prices of these products (tariffs are applied at the wholesale level), but consumers can mitigate this effect by switching to other products.

So why all the hoopla about "punishing" American consumers? Does anybody believe that we will be better off by preserving the status quo?
Tariffs do not necassarily raise prices. The exporter has the option of cutting the cost of the product to stay competative in the market, which of course effects it's profits.

But yeah, I get your point.

Tariffs DO raise prices: That is the point! ...

The federal government once depended on tariffs as a source of revenue, before personal income taxes were authorized by constitutional amendment.

ARTICLE XVI. The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

I would simply bar ALL Chinese goods from coming into the US.

VOTE TAZ IN 2020!! :biggrin:

TFW a conservative applauds taxing people to stop them from doing something

Conservatives it seems now...are for higher taxes.

So, it's government interference in the open market. Got it.

My daughter who has a $150mm business based on imports doesn't think so.
She buys just as much as ever.
There is no us equivalent
It's just 20 % more to her customers.
The cons Chinese will pay for it is the same as the Mexicans will pay for the wall.
We are paying

it's worked for Putin in Russia, why not here? LOL

The cons Chinese will pay for it is the same as the Mexicans will pay for the wall.
We are paying
Comparative Advantage...
She is providing a product without undercutting competition.

They cannot mitigate the effect because the American goods still cost more even with the tariffs on other goods.

So, how many people in this thread use a cellphone made in America?

or a TV made in America?

How about the computer you are on, where is it made?

We are paying
Comparative Advantage...

But China steals and slow pays not to mention being a national security threat.

We are paying
Comparative Advantage...

But China steals and slow pays not to mention being a national security threat.
I dunno, they pay her on time.
She has no competition, no us manufacturer
Any idea how many secrets we steal from China?
No one ever mentions it.
My company had a Chinese group specifically formed to steal secrets.
I remember my 1960s Arizona buds who had tanks in their garages and were expecting a Chinese invasion across the border.
Still waiting

Conservatives it seems now...are for higher taxes.
how you figure? explain it for us.

So, it's government interference in the open market. Got it.
it's called customs, every hear of it? just wondering with your limited education and all, close your legs.

or a TV made in America?

All of my appliances are made in Japan, Germany and China.
I take quality into account.
Make phones and computer hardware in the US and I will buy them.
BTW, almost all computer parts made in China get very inconsistent reviews...try looking on Amazon.

or a TV made in America?

All of my appliances are made in Japan, Germany and China.
I take quality into account.
Make phones and computer hardware in the US and I will buy them.
BTW, almost all computer parts made in China get very inconsistent reviews...try looking on Amazon.

:21::21::21::21:

Yeah, Nvidia graphic cards are just the worst, nobody likes them!

:21::21::21::21::21:

you are so silly sometimes!

Forum List

Back