Tacos and Other Possibly Illegal Food

Tacos are the perfect food, until north americans insisted on "Hard Shell" tacos? Why the hell would anyone in their right mind bite down on a hard shelled taco that's obviously going to fall apart, and into your lap?

From Averin, Sophie. “History of Tortillas and Tacos” Tortilla History Pages 1 – 5 The author explains Tackling the taco and a guide to the art of taco eating.

A taco is a “tortilla with something wrapped inside." Again, as with enchiladas, the central ingredient is the tortilla, which is made from corn and should not be mistaken for a Spanish version of the same name that is made of eggs and potato. Dating from the time of the Spanish conquest, Bernardino de Sahagun provides a list of the various types of tortillas that the Spanish encountered in Mexico. These are:

tlaxcalpacholi – a color corn flour tortilla.

ueitlaxcalli - which translates as a very thin, large, white tortilla.

Quauhtlaxqualli – a large, white, thick, coarse tortilla made with nixtamal, and totonqui.

Tlaxcalli – which refers to the common white tortilla ?

According to Avernin, a “taco” is “definitely not: A canary yellow tortilla with black spots” . Therefore, the hard, curled up holders typically called “tacos” in the US are nothing of the kind.

Bernal Diaz Del Castillo documented the first taco feast enjoyed by Europeans and Cortes himself arranged for the banquet in Coyoacan for these captains. However, the taco predates the European invasion as anthropologists have found evidence that the people living in the lake region of the Valley of Mexico traditionally ate tacos filled with small fish. As this suggests, the content of a taco differs with geographical region, but also, with the time of the day, as there are “early morning tacos, evening tacos and late night tacos.”
*shudder* I hate hard shelled tacos, too. My mother used to make them once a week and I totally hated Mexican food until I found out what authentic tacos were.

Oh my, second only to oyster po'boys.

Have you ever had an oyster in your taco?:eusa_drool:

Samson, are you by any chance in New Mexico? We need to break bread, or tortillas. I couldn't agree more.

Sometimes I'm forced to visit Hobbs.

The last time I was there, I spent my evenings in Diamond Lil's Salloon playing pool until this catfight broke out. The loser left with some guy.

Fortunately for me, they left in the guy's car, and her car, a Mustang was still in the parking lot. The winner threatened to pee in the gas tank, and I dared her, thinking that a female couldn't possibly pee into a gas tank (unless there was some sort of funnel involved, and she didn't claim to have a funnel).

Lo-and-Behold, she leaned against the car, AND ACCOMPLISHED THE TASK!!:eek:

Then she sat on the windshield, leaving a moist impression of her.....um, "nether regions."

Which, brings us back to the subject of tacos..........:tongue:

That sounds about right for Hobbs...

Now, as for tacos, I prefer a stuffed sopapilla.

Or an Indian Taco...Yum!

Last edited:

The last time I was there, I spent my evenings in Diamond Lil's Salloon playing pool until this catfight broke out. The loser left with some guy.

Fortunately for me, they left in the guy's car, and her car, a Mustang was still in the parking lot. The winner threatened to pee in the gas tank, and I dared her, thinking that a female couldn't possibly pee into a gas tank (unless there was some sort of funnel involved, and she didn't claim to have a funnel).

Then she sat on the windshield, leaving a moist impression of her.....um, "nether regions."

Or and Indian Taco...Yum!

What's yummy about it?

BTW you mean "Native American" Taco, and they're a horrid mess to eat.

It's Indian taco.

And they're yummy if you eat them the way you should...with not very much stuff on them. No lettuce and crap.

It's Indian taco.

And they're yummy if you eat them the way you should...with not very much stuff on them. No lettuce and crap.

Here is an Indian Taco:

indian-taco-after-the.jpg

How the hell do you eat it?

Remember when I said you don't put lettuce on it?

The bread is fry bread. It doesn't break. You put whatever you're putting on it, then rolly it up like a gordito or something.

Or you USE A FUCKING FORK. It isn't rocket science.

Remember when I said you don't put lettuce on it?

The bread is fry bread. It doesn't break. You put whatever you're putting on it, then rolly it up like a gordito or something.

Or you USE A FUCKING FORK. It isn't rocket science.

Who the hell eats a taco with a FORK???!!

If you gotta use a fork then its NOT A FUCKING TACO!

The WHOLE FUCKING POINT is to roll stuff up, the eat it with your HANDS for christssakes.

And Indians do eat it with their hands. It DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THAT in the real world, when they make them at home. But when they sell them at the stands, they provide all the condiments so people can pig out.

I make fry bread all the time. I eat it with butter and honey, usually. Sometimes with taco meat. I never serve it with lettuce or wet beans. Refried beans, yes.

And Indians do eat it with their hands. It DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THAT in the real world, when they make them at home. But when they sell them at the stands, they provide all the condiments so people can pig out.

I make fry bread all the time. I eat it with butter and honey, usually. Sometimes with taco meat. I never serve it with lettuce or wet beans. Refried beans, yes.

This???

indian-taco-look.jpg

Still looks like it will fall apart

No lettuce, baybee.
It won't fall apart. It's usually yeast bread, or quickbread. Either way, not flimsy.

Soft tacos are the only way to go. I wouldn't eat a hard shell taco from Taco Hell.

Why the heck would anyone buy a taco: because you cannot fill and fold a freakin' tortilla?

I like fish tacos, with pico de gallo that has a lot of celantro.
I like hard shell "taco-like" things,..... but u can't eat them while driving, so I then eat "taco's". So what the hell am I eating when I'm not driving??

P.S. Fish taco rules!!

Yes,refried beans work really well if you want to eat them without a fork. Here is a less messy version. And you can add any taco toppings (the bread is the best part though).

indiantaco.jpg

Love getting them at the road side stands around the state or at the fair. Plain fry bread with just honey is great also. Fry bread does taste sort of like a sopapilla,only thicker and it is fried to be flat instead.

IMG_7630a.jpg

Last edited:
Samson, are you by any chance in New Mexico? We need to break bread, or tortillas. I couldn't agree more.

Stuffed sopapilla's are great...red or green? They used to have a placed that served the kind you can pick up and eat with your hands close to my home,but it closed (stuffy's). Do they still have those in town? I have not seen one in awhile.

IMG_7632b.jpg

IMG_7631.jpg

Forum List

Back