Tacos and Other Possibly Illegal Food

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
Tacos are the perfect food, until north americans insisted on "Hard Shell" tacos? Why the hell would anyone in their right mind bite down on a hard shelled taco that's obviously going to fall apart, and into your lap?

From Averin, Sophie. “History of Tortillas and Tacos” Tortilla History Pages 1 – 5 The author explains Tackling the taco and a guide to the art of taco eating.

A taco is a “tortilla with something wrapped inside." Again, as with enchiladas, the central ingredient is the tortilla, which is made from corn and should not be mistaken for a Spanish version of the same name that is made of eggs and potato. Dating from the time of the Spanish conquest, Bernardino de Sahagun provides a list of the various types of tortillas that the Spanish encountered in Mexico. These are:

tlaxcalpacholi – a color corn flour tortilla.

ueitlaxcalli - which translates as a very thin, large, white tortilla.

Quauhtlaxqualli – a large, white, thick, coarse tortilla made with nixtamal, and totonqui.

Tlaxcalli – which refers to the common white tortilla ?

According to Avernin, a “taco” is “definitely not: A canary yellow tortilla with black spots” . Therefore, the hard, curled up holders typically called “tacos” in the US are nothing of the kind.

Bernal Diaz Del Castillo documented the first taco feast enjoyed by Europeans and Cortes himself arranged for the banquet in Coyoacan for these captains. However, the taco predates the European invasion as anthropologists have found evidence that the people living in the lake region of the Valley of Mexico traditionally ate tacos filled with small fish. As this suggests, the content of a taco differs with geographical region, but also, with the time of the day, as there are “early morning tacos, evening tacos and late night tacos.”

Samson, are you by any chance in New Mexico? We need to break bread, or tortillas. I couldn't agree more.

Sometimes I'm forced to visit Hobbs.

The last time I was there, I spent my evenings in Diamond Lil's Salloon playing pool until this catfight broke out. The loser left with some guy.

Fortunately for me, they left in the guy's car, and her car, a Mustang was still in the parking lot. The winner threatened to pee in the gas tank, and I dared her, thinking that a female couldn't possibly pee into a gas tank (unless there was some sort of funnel involved, and she didn't claim to have a funnel).

Lo-and-Behold, she leaned against the car, AND ACCOMPLISHED THE TASK!!:eek:

Then she sat on the windshield, leaving a moist impression of her.....um, "nether regions."

Which, brings us back to the subject of tacos..........:tongue:

Samson, are you by any chance in New Mexico? We need to break bread, or tortillas. I couldn't agree more.

The last time I was there, I spent my evenings in Diamond Lil's Salloon playing pool until this catfight broke out. The loser left with some guy.

Fortunately for me, they left in the guy's car, and her car, a Mustang was still in the parking lot. The winner threatened to pee in the gas tank, and I dared her, thinking that a female couldn't possibly pee into a gas tank (unless there was some sort of funnel involved, and she didn't claim to have a funnel).

Then she sat on the windshield, leaving a moist impression of her.....um, "nether regions."

That sounds about right for Hobbs...

Now, as for tacos, I prefer a stuffed sopapilla.

Last edited:

fish tacos?

fish tacos?

:eusa_hand:

Correction: Taco. I would have remembered if she'd had more than one

Last edited:
Tacos are the perfect food, until north americans insisted on "Hard Shell" tacos? Why the hell would anyone in their right mind bite down on a hard shelled taco that's obviously going to fall apart, and into your lap?

From Averin, Sophie. “History of Tortillas and Tacos” Tortilla History Pages 1 – 5 The author explains Tackling the taco and a guide to the art of taco eating.

A taco is a “tortilla with something wrapped inside." Again, as with enchiladas, the central ingredient is the tortilla, which is made from corn and should not be mistaken for a Spanish version of the same name that is made of eggs and potato. Dating from the time of the Spanish conquest, Bernardino de Sahagun provides a list of the various types of tortillas that the Spanish encountered in Mexico. These are:

tlaxcalpacholi – a color corn flour tortilla.

ueitlaxcalli - which translates as a very thin, large, white tortilla.

Quauhtlaxqualli – a large, white, thick, coarse tortilla made with nixtamal, and totonqui.

Tlaxcalli – which refers to the common white tortilla ?

According to Avernin, a “taco” is “definitely not: A canary yellow tortilla with black spots” . Therefore, the hard, curled up holders typically called “tacos” in the US are nothing of the kind.

Bernal Diaz Del Castillo documented the first taco feast enjoyed by Europeans and Cortes himself arranged for the banquet in Coyoacan for these captains. However, the taco predates the European invasion as anthropologists have found evidence that the people living in the lake region of the Valley of Mexico traditionally ate tacos filled with small fish. As this suggests, the content of a taco differs with geographical region, but also, with the time of the day, as there are “early morning tacos, evening tacos and late night tacos.”

YOu tell 'em, they certainly won't listen to me.

Soft tacos are the only way to go. I wouldn't eat a hard shell taco from Taco Hell.

Why the heck would anyone buy a taco: because you cannot fill and fold a freakin' tortilla?

I like fish tacos, with pico de gallo that has a lot of celantro.

Soft tacos are the only way to go. I wouldn't eat a hard shell taco from Taco Hell.

Why the heck would anyone buy a taco: because you cannot fill and fold a freakin' tortilla?

Ah my wife makes the greatest salsa, and she uses fresh cilantro, and tomatillos....

Got to make a new batch this summer she cans up to 50 jars at a time. Of course we end up giving most of them away.

Ah my wife makes the greatest salsa, and she uses fresh cilantro, and tomatillos....

Got to make a new batch this summer she cans up to 50 jars at a time. Of course we end up giving most of them away.

Does she make "Hot" and "Mild?"

As far as I'm concerned, its not salsa if its not "Hot": If you want "Mild" then just use Ketsup.

As far as I'm concerned, its not salsa if its not "Hot": If you want "Mild" then just use Ketsup.

Actually she makes what we call:
1. Regular (Hot for most people)
2. Hot
3. I dare you.

My husband and I were at this Mexican restaurant one time and the salsa was so bland, I asked if they had anything hotter and the waitress just looked at me. I said, "You know, mas piquente <sp?>" She rolled her eyes, like she was thinking "I'm gonna get this gringa". Several minutes later she brought out this really hot sauce. My husband and I ate the whole thing. Everyone working in the restaurant had to come talk to the gringos who ate the hot food. I just smiled at them and said, "You really don't know hot until you've eaten Thai food!"

Actually she makes what we call:
1. Regular (Hot for most people)
2. Hot
3. I dare you.

I'd like one order of "hot" and 2 of "I dare you", please.

Forum List

Back