Tacos and Other Possibly Illegal Food

Does she make "Hot" and "Mild?"

As far as I'm concerned, its not salsa if its not "Hot": If you want "Mild" then just use Ketsup.

My husband and I were at this Mexican restaurant one time and the salsa was so bland, I asked if they had anything hotter and the waitress just looked at me. I said, "You know, mas piquente <sp?>" She rolled her eyes, like she was thinking "I'm gonna get this gringa". Several minutes later she brought out this really hot sauce. My husband and I ate the whole thing. Everyone working in the restaurant had to come talk to the gringos who ate the hot food. I just smiled at them and said, "You really don't know hot until you've eaten Thai food!"

Actually, I thought REAL MEXICAN FOOD was not supposed to be very spicy?...but that doesn't stop me from chopping up fresh jalapeno's and adding them to everything Mexican

"fresh" jalapenos?
My brother, about a million years ago, gave one of those out of the garden to my boyfriend to eat. Sadistic bastard, I miss him. I'll only eat them out of the jar, but I love those.

My husband and I were at this Mexican restaurant one time and the salsa was so bland, I asked if they had anything hotter and the waitress just looked at me. I said, "You know, mas piquente <sp?>" She rolled her eyes, like she was thinking "I'm gonna get this gringa". Several minutes later she brought out this really hot sauce. My husband and I ate the whole thing. Everyone working in the restaurant had to come talk to the gringos who ate the hot food. I just smiled at them and said, "You really don't know hot until you've eaten Thai food!"

Actually, I thought REAL MEXICAN FOOD was not supposed to be very spicy?...but that doesn't stop me from chopping up fresh jalapeno's and adding them to everything Mexican

"fresh" jalapenos?
My brother, about a million years ago, gave one of those out of the garden to my boyfriend to eat. Sadistic bastard, I miss him. I'll only eat them out of the jar, but I love those.

I cut them in half, remove the seeds, fill with peanut butter, and then throw the whole thing in (biting in half isn't recommended unless you want Hot-Lips). The peanut butter acts as a coating, that keeps you from feeling the full force of capsian.

"fresh" jalapenos?

I cut them in half, remove the seeds, fill with peanut butter, and then throw the whole thing in (biting in half isn't recommended unless you want Hot-Lips). The peanut butter acts as a coating, that keeps you from feeling the full force of capsian.

Never thought of peanut butter. Usually use sour cream on a plate of nachos supreme, or deep fry them with cheese of some sort. I'll have to try out the peanut butter, and thanks :)

Soft tacos are the only way to go. I wouldn't eat a hard shell taco from Taco Hell.

Why the heck would anyone buy a taco: because you cannot fill and fold a freakin' tortilla?

I like fish tacos, with pico de gallo that has a lot of celantro.

YUM!
wahoos01.jpg

"fresh" jalapenos?

Or slice down the side,remove seeds,stuff with cheese then wrap with bacon and bake. They are great...we call them poppers.

"fresh" jalapenos?

Or slice down the side,remove seeds,stuff with cheese then wrap with bacon and bake. They are great...we call them poppers.

How do you bake, and keep the cheese from running?

You reminded me of another recipe: Split a dove breast, stuff it in a jalapeno, and wrap it with bacon; grill.

Sometimes I'm forced to visit Hobbs.

The last time I was there, I spent my evenings in Diamond Lil's Salloon playing pool until this catfight broke out. The loser left with some guy.

Fortunately for me, they left in the guy's car, and her car, a Mustang was still in the parking lot. The winner threatened to pee in the gas tank, and I dared her, thinking that a female couldn't possibly pee into a gas tank (unless there was some sort of funnel involved, and she didn't claim to have a funnel).

Lo-and-Behold, she leaned against the car, AND ACCOMPLISHED THE TASK!!:eek:

Then she sat on the windshield, leaving a moist impression of her.....um, "nether regions."

Which, brings us back to the subject of tacos..........:tongue:

That sounds about right for Hobbs...

Now, as for tacos, I prefer a stuffed sopapilla.

Stuffed sopapilla's are great...red or green? They used to have a placed that served the kind you can pick up and eat with your hands close to my home,but it closed (stuffy's). Do they still have those in town? I have not seen one in awhile.

IMG_7632b.jpg

IMG_7631.jpg

Usually green, sometimes Christmas. Once in a while red.

As for Stufy's, I don't know if they're still around. A year ago there was one down on Coors near Montano and I think one on Candelaria.

Last edited:
I just smiled at them and said, "You really don't know hot until you've eaten Thai food!"

Or Burmese food.

Or Indian food.

Or plain old Fire Hot Oaklandtown BBQ sauce (challenged a friend once to drink a cup of Flints and I'd pick up the tab. He did - to his everlasting regret).

I also have British friends who pride themselves on making the absolutely most scalding hot curry possible.

I'm very sad about my attempts at curry.:(

Its Our Curse never to have conquered India.

secret to curry paste: use equal amounts of everything....

Give me a hard shell taco anytime! Love it when one bites into one of those and the grease rolls down your arm and the hamburger meat settles in your stomach like a gut bomb! Yummo!!!

And Indians do eat it with their hands. It DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THAT in the real world, when they make them at home. But when they sell them at the stands, they provide all the condiments so people can pig out.

I make fry bread all the time. I eat it with butter and honey, usually. Sometimes with taco meat. I never serve it with lettuce or wet beans. Refried beans, yes.

Love eating with my hands - try it sometime - and then pick up the fork and notice the difference.

Tacos are the perfect food, until north americans insisted on "Hard Shell" tacos? Why the hell would anyone in their right mind bite down on a hard shelled taco that's obviously going to fall apart, and into your lap?

From Averin, Sophie. “History of Tortillas and Tacos” Tortilla History Pages 1 – 5 The author explains Tackling the taco and a guide to the art of taco eating.

A taco is a “tortilla with something wrapped inside." Again, as with enchiladas, the central ingredient is the tortilla, which is made from corn and should not be mistaken for a Spanish version of the same name that is made of eggs and potato. Dating from the time of the Spanish conquest, Bernardino de Sahagun provides a list of the various types of tortillas that the Spanish encountered in Mexico. These are:

tlaxcalpacholi – a color corn flour tortilla.

ueitlaxcalli - which translates as a very thin, large, white tortilla.

Quauhtlaxqualli – a large, white, thick, coarse tortilla made with nixtamal, and totonqui.

Tlaxcalli – which refers to the common white tortilla ?

According to Avernin, a “taco” is “definitely not: A canary yellow tortilla with black spots” . Therefore, the hard, curled up holders typically called “tacos” in the US are nothing of the kind.

Bernal Diaz Del Castillo documented the first taco feast enjoyed by Europeans and Cortes himself arranged for the banquet in Coyoacan for these captains. However, the taco predates the European invasion as anthropologists have found evidence that the people living in the lake region of the Valley of Mexico traditionally ate tacos filled with small fish. As this suggests, the content of a taco differs with geographical region, but also, with the time of the day, as there are “early morning tacos, evening tacos and late night tacos.”

Yeah I was really surprised when I went to Mexico and ate real Mexican food. A taco is what we might call a "burrito" here - but much smaller. I like that. Instead of one gigantic burrito like you'd get at a Tex-Mex place, you get like 5-10 tiny little soft shell tacos.

And the times I have had a hard shell in Mexico, even the "hard" shell is much softer than they are here.

And Indians do eat it with their hands. It DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THAT in the real world, when they make them at home. But when they sell them at the stands, they provide all the condiments so people can pig out.

I make fry bread all the time. I eat it with butter and honey, usually. Sometimes with taco meat. I never serve it with lettuce or wet beans. Refried beans, yes.

Love eating with my hands - try it sometime - and then pick up the fork and notice the difference.

Yes. It's called e-coli!

E-coli is also transmitted by using utensils.....at least with the hands you know they were washed!!!

Lets see, soft taco or hard taco. I guess it all depends on the "taco" and the question, dont you think? :lol:

How do you bake, and keep the cheese from running?

You reminded me of another recipe: Split a dove breast, stuff it in a jalapeno, and wrap it with bacon; grill.

When you wrap them with bacon,secure them with a tooth pick. the bacon keeps the sides together.

Forum List

Back