Tacos and Other Possibly Illegal Food

I had a friend way back in Flagstaff. He would do a Mexican Pizza with two flour tortillas on the base, a layered refried beans above, then he would do a layer of either a green, red, or half and half chili relleno type sauce with chunks of beef, topped with a ton of cheese, then baked. They did everything there, that was my favorite. God I miss that. For this I nominate him to the Supreme Court. :):):):):)

I just smiled at them and said, "You really don't know hot until you've eaten Thai food!"

Or Burmese food.

Or Indian food.

Or plain old Fire Hot Oaklandtown BBQ sauce (challenged a friend once to drink a cup of Flints and I'd pick up the tab. He did - to his everlasting regret).

I also have British friends who pride themselves on making the absolutely most scalding hot curry possible.

I just smiled at them and said, "You really don't know hot until you've eaten Thai food!"

Or Burmese food.

Or Indian food.

Or plain old Fire Hot Oaklandtown BBQ sauce (challenged a friend once to drink a cup of Flints and I'd pick up the tab. He did - to his everlasting regret).

I also have British friends who pride themselves on making the absolutely most scalding hot curry possible.

Has anyone seen my cat?????

Ah my wife makes the greatest salsa, and she uses fresh cilantro, and tomatillos....

Got to make a new batch this summer she cans up to 50 jars at a time. Of course we end up giving most of them away.

Does she make "Hot" and "Mild?"

As far as I'm concerned, its not salsa if its not "Hot": If you want "Mild" then just use Ketsup.

My husband and I were at this Mexican restaurant one time and the salsa was so bland, I asked if they had anything hotter and the waitress just looked at me. I said, "You know, mas piquente <sp?>" She rolled her eyes, like she was thinking "I'm gonna get this gringa". Several minutes later she brought out this really hot sauce. My husband and I ate the whole thing. Everyone working in the restaurant had to come talk to the gringos who ate the hot food. I just smiled at them and said, "You really don't know hot until you've eaten Thai food!"

Actually, I thought REAL MEXICAN FOOD was not supposed to be very spicy?...but that doesn't stop me from chopping up fresh jalapeno's and adding them to everything Mexican

Pffffttttt.

If you want Hot, use habaneros or scotch bonnets.

As far as I'm concerned, its not salsa if its not "Hot": If you want "Mild" then just use Ketsup.

My husband and I were at this Mexican restaurant one time and the salsa was so bland, I asked if they had anything hotter and the waitress just looked at me. I said, "You know, mas piquente <sp?>" She rolled her eyes, like she was thinking "I'm gonna get this gringa". Several minutes later she brought out this really hot sauce. My husband and I ate the whole thing. Everyone working in the restaurant had to come talk to the gringos who ate the hot food. I just smiled at them and said, "You really don't know hot until you've eaten Thai food!"

Actually, I thought REAL MEXICAN FOOD was not supposed to be very spicy?...but that doesn't stop me from chopping up fresh jalapeno's and adding them to everything Mexican

My buddy gave me a pepper once that he called a "Yellow Hot". I took one bite and my nose started gushing blood. He and his brother got a real kick out of it. Looking back I would guess it to be a Habanero pepper.

New Mexico cooking can be milder. The chilies definitely are.

Habaneros - yes. I've grown them in the garden and I add them to certain dishes.

Or Burmese food.

Or Indian food.

I'm very sad about my attempts at curry.:(

Its Our Curse never to have conquered India.

I think TexMex food is hotter than actual Mexican foods.

I think TexMex food is hotter than actual Mexican foods.

Yes, The Texas Revolution was caused by their refusal to eat bland Menudo.

I used to make some dynamite C Ration Pizza. Before they ruined the rations with MRE's. Of course no NCO worth their salt ever deployed without a good stock of Louisiana hot sauce.

Habaneros - yes. I've grown them in the garden and I add them to certain dishes.

You add them, raw, to what?

I think you may chop ONE up, and use a little piece in a soup or something.

Actually, I use an electron microscope to isolate the smallest bit possible, then boil it in a few gallons of liquid to detoxify it.

:cool:

I use them in cooking spicy dishes. The amount depends upon the quantity.

There was an exciting Omelet Incident a few weeks ago in which Mr. Boe chopped up 4 Habaneros and added them to the filling of an Omelet which we split. That was a tad too hot pour moi.

You add them, raw, to what?

I think you may chop ONE up, and use a little piece in a soup or something.

Actually, I use an electron microscope to isolate the smallest bit possible, then boil it in a few gallons of liquid to detoxify it.

:cool:

I use them in cooking spicy dishes. The amount depends upon the quantity.

There was an exciting Omelet Incident a few weeks ago in which Mr. Boe chopped up 4 Habaneros and added them to the filling of an Omelet which we split. That was a tad too hot pour moi.

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, perhaps you're lucky you survived.

When we lived in Corpus Christi Texas, I rented a place and there was a sort of tree/ bush in the back yard about 6 ft high. It grew these really small red peppers. I don't know what they were called but my mother-in-law came over and stripped that bush of every single one of them. Told me that a gringo couldn't handle them so don't ask any questions. Mrs Ollie had no Idea what they were either.

Tacos are the perfect food, until north americans insisted on "Hard Shell" tacos? Why the hell would anyone in their right mind bite down on a hard shelled taco that's obviously going to fall apart, and into your lap?

From Averin, Sophie. “History of Tortillas and Tacos” Tortilla History Pages 1 – 5 The author explains Tackling the taco and a guide to the art of taco eating.

A taco is a “tortilla with something wrapped inside." Again, as with enchiladas, the central ingredient is the tortilla, which is made from corn and should not be mistaken for a Spanish version of the same name that is made of eggs and potato. Dating from the time of the Spanish conquest, Bernardino de Sahagun provides a list of the various types of tortillas that the Spanish encountered in Mexico. These are:

tlaxcalpacholi – a color corn flour tortilla.

ueitlaxcalli - which translates as a very thin, large, white tortilla.

Quauhtlaxqualli – a large, white, thick, coarse tortilla made with nixtamal, and totonqui.

Tlaxcalli – which refers to the common white tortilla ?

According to Avernin, a “taco” is “definitely not: A canary yellow tortilla with black spots” . Therefore, the hard, curled up holders typically called “tacos” in the US are nothing of the kind.

Bernal Diaz Del Castillo documented the first taco feast enjoyed by Europeans and Cortes himself arranged for the banquet in Coyoacan for these captains. However, the taco predates the European invasion as anthropologists have found evidence that the people living in the lake region of the Valley of Mexico traditionally ate tacos filled with small fish. As this suggests, the content of a taco differs with geographical region, but also, with the time of the day, as there are “early morning tacos, evening tacos and late night tacos.”
*shudder* I hate hard shelled tacos, too. My mother used to make them once a week and I totally hated Mexican food until I found out what authentic tacos were.

Oh my, second only to oyster po'boys.

Did the plant look like this?:
svspurpin.jpg

Forum List

Back