Sure Way To Save Gas...

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
... buy a motorcycle.

My Harley, even though it's a big twin, gets 45 mpg city, 50 mpg highway. It just cost me $16 to fill it at $4.11 a gallon. A record. But even these fancy hybrids don't get as good a mileage as my motorcycle. There would be less congestion too if more people road bikes.

crashing or getting in an accident in a motorcycle vs. in a car? ...chances are too risky in a motorcycle, saving money isn't that important.

... buy a motorcycle.

My Harley, even though it's a big twin, gets 45 mpg city, 50 mpg highway. It just cost me $16 to fill it at $4.11 a gallon. A record. But even these fancy hybrids don't get as good a mileage as my motorcycle. There would be less congestion too if more people road bikes.

Motorcycles are too noisy. I prefer my bicycle.

crashing or getting in an accident in a motorcycle vs. in a car? ...chances are too risky in a motorcycle, saving money isn't that important.

If you continue to burn gas you will burn in hell. God told me so.

... buy a motorcycle.

I'm looking at one with serious intent.

Harley-Davidson | Motorcycles | 2008 Motorcycles

You can't live your life in fear. But since you have enough money to guy gas at any price, drive whatever you want.

You sure you want a Softail Gunny? Softails have the 'B' engine. It's balanced and solid mounted. You can hardly feel it's running, along with them having large weights spinning around front and rear driven by a chain with hydraulic tensioners that eat up oil pressure, and the weights eat up horse power. They're also limited to 5,850 rpm as opposed to 'A' engine bikes, Dyna's and Touring, that can spin up to 6,200 rpm, or more. Take it from an old Harley Tech, look at either a Dyna or a Touring Gunny. You don't want a Softail.

THere are 4 middle-aged ladies at my other DHS office who ride scooters and motorcycles. THey are the least likely crew you ever saw for riding bikes. They all park in one parking space, they all have their little helmet. One rides a hot, tiny little blue thing. I don't know what it is but it is awfully cute.

They're like a little old lady motorcycle gang in state grade office attire (it ain't Vera Wang....we're not talking motorcycle mamas like Halle Berry and the chicks in CHarlie's Angels).

Bicycles are great so long as you aren't assuming you have the right of way downtown, or using people's bumpers as your personal balance bars. Get stupid and you'll get squished. I saw a biker squished between the middle wheels of a big rig once. There was nothing left except a really mangled bicycle.

Last edited:
Motorcycles are too noisy. I prefer my bicycle.
I love the noise. If people can't see you in traffic, then they sure will hear you. Noise is like a proximity alarm for cage drivers that you're there.

THere are 4 middle-aged ladies at my other DHS office who ride scooters and motorcycles. THey are the least likely crew you ever saw for riding bikes. They all park in one parking space, they all have their little helmet. One rides a hot, tiny little blue thing. I don't know what it is but it is awfully cute.

Bicycles are great so long as you aren't assuming you have the right of way downtown, or using people's bumpers as your personal balance bars. Get stupid and you'll get squished. I saw a biker squished between the middle wheels of a big rig once. There was nothing left except a really mangled bicycle.
My hats off to the bike riding ladies.

I've crashed bikes twice. Once long ago when I was young and ignorant and too fucked up to ride, and the second time just recently when a guy ran a red light and turned in front of me. Neither incident effected my decision to ride. I've been riding motorcycles since I was twelve, and I'll be 53 in July. That's a long time. You acquire a respectable amount of experience and can read traffic after that many years. Riding defensively can all but eliminate your chances of getting in an accident.

There's just no way I can resist riding that...

Last edited:
You sure you want a Softail Gunny? Softails have the 'B' engine. It's balanced and solid mounted. You can hardly feel it's running, along with them having large weights spinning around front and rear driven by a chain with hydraulic tensioners that eat up oil pressure, and the weights eat up horse power. They're also limited to 5,850 rpm as opposed to 'A' engine bikes, Dyna's and Touring, that can spin up to 6,200 rpm, or more. Take it from an old Harley Tech, look at either a Dyna or a Touring Gunny. You don't want a Softail.

Sorry, wrong link. The bike I've been looking at is the Super Glide Custom. A buddy's got one.

No Touring for me. Not my style.

Sorry, wrong link. The bike I've been looking at is the Super Glide Custom. A buddy's got one.

No Touring for me. Not my style.

Great choice. Almost identical to mine above. Mine is the 35th Anniversary Dyna Super Glide.

Here's your Dyna Super Glide Custom...

2571642873_dc55674d7e_o.jpg

I used to think that I was cool
Drivin' round on fossil fuel
But then I seen that all I's doing
Was driving down the road to ruin.

DAMN, this traffic jam
How I hates to be late.
Hurts my motor to go so slow.
Time I get home my supper be cold
DAMN this traffic jam.
James Taylor​

I gave up my CBR 600 last year due to my son being born, and I'm kicking myself for it now.

I gave up my CBR 600 last year due to my son being born, and I'm kicking myself for it now.

CBR 600... Honda hasn't made that model for decades... it would practically be a collectors item.

In any case, it probably got around 75 miles to the gallon, and was fun to ride.

Great choice. Almost identical to mine above. Mine is the 35th Anniversary Dyna Super Glide.

Here's your Dyna Super Glide Custom...

2571642873_dc55674d7e_o.jpg

Think I might have to choose a different color, but that's it. We're currently have the great debate on what exactly it is I am allowed and not allowed to kill myself with.:eusa_eh:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Forum List

Back