Supreme Court asked to delay Chrysler sale

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Reuters

By James Vicini James Vicini – 2 hrs 9 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Indiana pension funds and consumer groups asked the U.S. Supreme Court on Sunday to stop the sale of bankrupt automaker Chrysler LLC to a group led by Italian carmaker Fiat SpA while they challenge the deal.

The separate requests, which moved the legal battle to the nation's highest court, were filed after a U.S. appeals court in New York approved Chrysler's sale to a group led by Fiat, a union-aligned trust and the U.S. and Canadian governments.

Supreme Court asked to delay Chrysler sale - Yahoo! News

Just wait. Obama will overturn the Supreme Court if they rule against the unions.

What we need is to stop regulation of business, let them all swim or sink based on the quality of products and services, period.

What we need is to stop regulation of business, let them all swim or sink based on the quality of products and services, period.

:eusa_hand:

No making sense. You were supposed to respond with: "Obama can't overturn the Supreme Court."

Problem isn't whether he can or can't, problem is whether people will think for themselves or do what he says.

And to think I took you on as a mod. My little brother played along better than you even when he KNEW he was going to get tortured.:eusa_eh:

No making sense. You were supposed to respond with: "Obama can't overturn the Supreme Court."

Problem isn't whether he can or can't, problem is whether people will think for themselves or do what he says.

And to think I took you on as a mod. My little brother played along better than you even when he KNEW he was going to get tortured.:eusa_eh:

Right now, I see that we are all fucked, our country is collapsing and no one is changing anything. So sorry I spoiled your playful mood, I didn't realize what you were getting at. Lure Bobo in here, he'd be fun for a few laughs, might even make me forget my pain today.

Screw Obama, screw the UAW and Screw the Racist he is sending for nomination to the court. Let Fiat have it and tell Obama and his Klan to sit down and shut up.

Hey Gunny, it would not surprise me to see him try to overturn the court. LOL

It's a shame the American auto worker didn't either force the UAW to clean it's act long ago or simply walked away from the UAW.

I for one hope this thing gets tied up in court for years. The reason being is the "bond" holders in any other backruptcy proceeding or sale would at least get something. This sale was rammed down the throat of all those so called "rich" people that invested in Chrysler, you know the the teachers, firefighters, police, those people. Personally this whole thing should have gone through the regular bankruptcy process just like it should have in the beginning without ANY Govt. intervention during the process. Yet another example of how well the Fed. can manage things. and this is the same Govt. that wants to bring you healthcare.!!

He can't.
It shouldn't even be an issue though.
They, none of them, the big box banks (one stop shopping! auto, insurance, personal and corporate credit, mortgage, life and home insurance) or auto dealers should have been allowed to put a gun to our heads and tell us that if we don't fork over X amount of dollars RIGHT NOW, and with NO oversight! that all hell would break loose. If we don't bargain with terrorists, we sure as shit shouldn't have bargained with them.

The thing is, now that we have, its a totally different head. What? We give them mad money and DON'T get to tell them how to handle it? They did such a bang up job up to needing our great-grandchildren to pay interest on the loans we just dealt out like it was monopoly money that they should be trusted to handle it better this time?

It isn't private profit anymore, because the losses became public in a huge way. I agree that Obama can't overturn the Supremes. I just hope the Supremes know whose do re mi they're passing judgement on.

Screw Obama, screw the UAW and Screw the Racist he is sending for nomination to the court. Let Fiat have it and tell Obama and his Klan to sit down and shut up.

It's a shame the American auto worker didn't either force the UAW to clean it's act long ago or simply walked away from the UAW.

The IBEW got its ass broken here because it was such a bureaucratic hydra. It can happen.

Trade unions were good when they represented the workers. They only represent the union itself and perpetuating the bureaucracy now.

He can't.
They, none of them, the big box banks (one stop shopping! auto, insurance, personal and corporate credit, mortgage, life and home insurance) or auto dealers should have been allowed to put a gun to our heads and tell us that if we don't fork over X amount of dollars RIGHT NOW, and with NO oversight! that all hell would break loose. If we don't bargain with terrorists, we sure as shit shouldn't have bargained with them.

The thing is, now that we have, its a totally different head. What? We give them mad money and DON'T get to tell them how to handle it? They did such a bang up job up to needing our great-grandchildren to pay interest on the loans we just dealt out like it was monopoly money that they should be trusted to handle it better this time?

It isn't private profit anymore, because the losses became public in a huge way. I agree that Obama can't overturn the Supremes. I just hope the Supremes know whose do re mi they're passing judgement on.

He can't? Since when has that stopped HIM?

I for one hope this thing gets tied up in court for years. The reason being is the "bond" holders in any other backruptcy proceeding or sale would at least get something. This sale was rammed down the throat of all those so called "rich" people that invested in Chrysler, you know the the teachers, firefighters, police, those people. Personally this whole thing should have gone through the regular bankruptcy process just like it should have in the beginning without ANY Govt. intervention during the process. Yet another example of how well the Fed. can manage things. and this is the same Govt. that wants to bring you healthcare.!!

You were pretty good up to health care. There are some things the government does do better, and some bureaus within the government that aren''t supposed to run on the basis of a profit motive. There are some social goods that can't be tied to a market cost. Not to say that the running of some of those things couldn't be done more effectively or efficiently, but that government services are something we all benefit from in many ways we don't even think about, but have an effect on our quality of life regardless.

If you think that the police dept. is important to your families security, pay that ticket with a glad heart.

If your father needs an ambulance

your mother long term care

If your home catches fire

If you need to go to work and there's a snowstorm, and the roads need plowing.

None of these are for profit government functions, but they affect the quality of your life, and you expect them.

He can't.

He can't? Since when has that stopped HIM?

I don't get out much, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. When, precisely, hasn't it?

You were pretty good up to health care. There are some things the government does do better, and some bureaus within the government that aren''t supposed to run on the basis of a profit motive. There are some social goods that can't be tied to a market cost. Not to say that the running of some of those things couldn't be done more effectively or efficiently, but that government services are something we all benefit from in many ways we don't even think about, but have an effect on our quality of life regardless.

If you think that the police dept. is important to your families security, pay that ticket with a glad heart.

If your father needs an ambulance

your mother long term care

If your home catches fire

If you need to go to work and there's a snowstorm, and the roads need plowing.

None of these are for profit government functions, but they affect the quality of your life, and you expect them.

Obviously you have never been victim to the mediocrity of government healthcare. No, the government doesn't do it better. It does it like it does everything else. On the cheap, bare minimum.

That it is or will be anything else is just wishful thinking. Kind of like the stimulus creating jobs.

You do realize Barb that every single thing you mentioned is a function of local Govt. and not the Fed. Govt. With the exception perhaps of The Forest Service I suppose and the FBI. The Govt. and I use this to mean Federal Govt. simply put Barb has no authority under the constitution on healthcare as it applies to nationalizing it. Secondly, when it applies to nationalizing business ventures such as GM or dictating terms to Chrysler they also have no authority, however I'm sure that many would argue otherwise. As for my feelings on what the Fed. Govt. does well I can tell you what I think the Fed. Govt. does well, one is NASA, it is about the only department in the Federal Govt. that is consistantly providing a return on the taxpayers investment. There are many departments in the Federal Govt. that have many dedicated and hard working men and women in it. most of all the US Military. However, there are some things the Fed. Govt. need not be in the business of doing and those are owning business and being in direct competetion with private business and still further going beyond the bounds of what they are chartered to do, as in Healthcare and with the auto companies.

The IBEW got its ass broken here because it was such a bureaucratic hydra. It can happen.

Trade unions were good when they represented the workers. They only represent the union itself and perpetuating the bureaucracy now.

I have a problem with this. My parents were small business owners, and we lived in GE's backyard. Of course when I left high school into the 80's job market my peeps were blaming the unions. Years later I got to study the Reagan effect. Even later, I noted the way the US unions adapted to the Reagan effect to keep culling dues (a dollar more a year!) to do the vertical dance with industry locally and use the excess dues to fight nationally.

And its funny, because the whole question of whose side the unions are on is a chicken egg thing that goes back way before Reagan, to the McCarthy era and the infiltration of the CIA into the unions to make the collective part of collective bargaining seem...collective and shit, and pushed the union leadership (at least partly government at that point, and wholly responsive to government pressure) into bed with the darling of democracy, capitalism. How the fuck were they supposed to function on behalf of labor after all that?

and you know, fucking around blaming the bureaucracy for the corporatist government is working assbackwards. The bureaucracy does the heavy lifting for the rest of the government, not the other way around. They implement policy, they don't set it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back