Supreme Court asked to delay Chrysler sale

Reuters

By James Vicini James Vicini – 2 hrs 9 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Indiana pension funds and consumer groups asked the U.S. Supreme Court on Sunday to stop the sale of bankrupt automaker Chrysler LLC to a group led by Italian carmaker Fiat SpA while they challenge the deal.

The separate requests, which moved the legal battle to the nation's highest court, were filed after a U.S. appeals court in New York approved Chrysler's sale to a group led by Fiat, a union-aligned trust and the U.S. and Canadian governments.

Supreme Court asked to delay Chrysler sale - Yahoo! News

Just wait. Obama will overturn the Supreme Court if they rule against the unions.

And the Government controlled media will convince most Americans that he should be allowed to do just that because he was sent to change things.

You do realize Barb that every single thing you mentioned is a function of local Govt. and not the Fed. Govt. With the exception perhaps of The Forest Service I suppose and the FBI. The Govt. and I use this to mean Federal Govt. simply put Barb has no authority under the constitution on healthcare as it applies to nationalizing it. Secondly, when it applies to nationalizing business ventures such as GM or dictating terms to Chrysler they also have no authority, however I'm sure that many would argue otherwise. As for my feelings on what the Fed. Govt. does well I can tell you what I think the Fed. Govt. does well, one is NASA, it is about the only department in the Federal Govt. that is consistantly providing a return on the taxpayers investment. There are many departments in the Federal Govt. that have many dedicated and hard working men and women in it. most of all the US Military. However, there are some things the Fed. Govt. need not be in the business of doing and those are owning business and being in direct competetion with private business and still further going beyond the bounds of what they are chartered to do, as in Healthcare and with the auto companies.

I disagree about health care, at least if they were to allow themselves to do it right (worked in a county facility, mine did not), and think that if we aren't to get involved with the auto industry, we should have let them fall flat on their faces. We didn't. What's next?

On the subject of healthcare, Obama wants a bill for him to sign in his hands by August. This is going to to be something of a challenge if the bill is debated by both parties. I have a feeling that Obama will have it sidestepped from the republicans to achieve his desire. This bill will more than likely be on the cheap as Gunny has suggested. it will cost way more than what the estimates are today of 1 trillion dollars, probably half again as much to begin with. Government will be in the middle of you and your doctor, on proceedures, costs, and exemptions. Oren Hatch stated that a lot of this will be on the back of the individual states to pony up costs as it stands now. Like I have stated in the past, look at the VA hospital (single payor) social security, medicare, welfare being run by the federal government. Now we are suppose to believe they can run a federal healthcare system efficiently?.....by August???? Oh boy...can't wait to see this train wreck.

I for one hope this thing gets tied up in court for years. The reason being is the "bond" holders in any other backruptcy proceeding or sale would at least get something. This sale was rammed down the throat of all those so called "rich" people that invested in Chrysler, you know the the teachers, firefighters, police, those people. Personally this whole thing should have gone through the regular bankruptcy process just like it should have in the beginning without ANY Govt. intervention during the process. Yet another example of how well the Fed. can manage things. and this is the same Govt. that wants to bring you healthcare.!!

You were pretty good up to health care. There are some things the government does do better, and some bureaus within the government that aren''t supposed to run on the basis of a profit motive. There are some social goods that can't be tied to a market cost. Not to say that the running of some of those things couldn't be done more effectively or efficiently, but that government services are something we all benefit from in many ways we don't even think about, but have an effect on our quality of life regardless.

If you think that the police dept. is important to your families security, pay that ticket with a glad heart.

If your father needs an ambulance

your mother long term care

If your home catches fire

If you need to go to work and there's a snowstorm, and the roads need plowing.

None of these are for profit government functions, but they affect the quality of your life, and you expect them.

Obviously you have never been victim to the mediocrity of government healthcare. No, the government doesn't do it better. It does it like it does everything else. On the cheap, bare minimum.

That it is or will be anything else is just wishful thinking. Kind of like the stimulus creating jobs.

Actually Gunny, I have. I worked as a CNA, broke my self in a county run long term health facility. On my way out I told the county that if they weren't going to do it right they shouldn't do it all. That isn't to say it cant be done better, it is to say they didn't.

Reuters

By James Vicini James Vicini – 2 hrs 9 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Indiana pension funds and consumer groups asked the U.S. Supreme Court on Sunday to stop the sale of bankrupt automaker Chrysler LLC to a group led by Italian carmaker Fiat SpA while they challenge the deal.

The separate requests, which moved the legal battle to the nation's highest court, were filed after a U.S. appeals court in New York approved Chrysler's sale to a group led by Fiat, a union-aligned trust and the U.S. and Canadian governments.

Supreme Court asked to delay Chrysler sale - Yahoo! News

Just wait. Obama will overturn the Supreme Court if they rule against the unions.

And the Government controlled media will convince most Americans that he should be allowed to do just that because he was sent to change things.

Um ... duh.

Barb, I've said this many times on this board, Unions are not the sole cause of the decline of the auto industry, however they ARE a factor in it's demise. In competetive economy where other auto makers produce car's and truck's and their labor costs are half what yours are, you are unable to compete. So even though the UAW in this case may have offered a few concessions here and there, in the end all the demands over the years like a health pension for retired workers that is unsupportable and a compensation package that is well beyond what any other non union autoworker makes even here in the United States it is a contributing factor. Now, once this downfall has occured and it would have sooner or later , do you allow the very same group that contributed to it's downfall a stake in the ownership of the company at the expense of all those people who invested in the company? There are remedies in place for this and there always have been and thats called US Bankruptcy court, which should have happned long ago, allowing Chrysler and GM to shed itself of debts and bad divisions without Govt. intervetion and onwership. Here is a little food for thought Barb, had jobs been so important to the UAW and and saving the company why would you go on strike as recently as last year?

Although the UAW was able to strike a new deal with all three domestic automakers last year, a UAW strike at one of General Motors’ suppliers is threatening the Detroit-based automaker’s production capabilities. The UAW is currently on strike at American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc., the supplier responsible for many of GM’s parts.

The strike — which is now in its fifth week — has already halted production at seven GM light truck production facilities and is now threatening several of GM’s car building operations.

UAW strike at American Axle could halt GM car production

The only people who suffer here are the employee's not the UAW management and they are still suffering because of the terrible way in which they have been represented ALL these years.

Government will be in the middle of you and your doctor, on proceedures, costs, and exemptions.

Unlike now, when the insurance company is in the middle of you and your doctor, on proceedures, costs, and exemptions.

On the subject of healthcare, Obama wants a bill for him to sign in his hands by August. This is going to to be something of a challenge if the bill is debated by both parties. I have a feeling that Obama will have it sidestepped from the republicans to achieve his desire. This bill will more than likely be on the cheap as Gunny has suggested. it will cost way more than what the estimates are today of 1 trillion dollars, probably half again as much to begin with. Government will be in the middle of you and your doctor, on proceedures, costs, and exemptions. Oren Hatch stated that a lot of this will be on the back of the individual states to pony up costs as it stands now. Like I have stated in the past, look at the VA hospital (single payor) social security, medicare, welfare being run by the federal government. Now we are suppose to believe they can run a federal healthcare system efficiently?.....by August???? Oh boy...can't wait to see this train wreck.

We have one of the most responsive Presidential administrations of any time I know of. Especially if you have an idea that you think they've overlooked, write to them and I swear (a damned near non-existent promise from my part) that they'll at least look at it.

Government will be in the middle of you and your doctor, on proceedures, costs, and exemptions.

Unlike now, when the insurance company is in the middle of you and your doctor, on proceedures, costs, and exemptions.

I trust my insurance company more than I trust my government. I look to the VA hospital and see what kind of trust I can put on the government.

We have one of the most responsive Presidential administrations of any time I know of. Especially if you have an idea that you think they've overlooked, write to them and I swear (a damned near non-existent promise from my part) that they'll at least look at it.

Barb, if someone looks at it....that's where it will end. Democrats don't even want the republican input on this bill. It is a polarized nation that we live in at the moment.

Forum List

Back