Supermarket self checkout....I'm a fan!

Our local WallyWorld went to all self checkout for about 6 months but it has put in a few cashier lines due to theft.

I use them if I only have a few items but if I am getting a bottle of wine or a 12 pack there is no time savings when I stand there waiting for someone to put in the code to complete my checkout.

Our local WallyWorld went to all self checkout for about 6 months but it has put in a few cashier lines due to theft.

I use them if I only have a few items but if I am getting a bottle of wine or a 12 pack there is no time savings when I stand there waiting for someone to put in the code to complete my checkout.
Shiet, the self-checkout watchers at my Wally World already know they'll be comin' over if I'm comin' through.

:abgg2q.jpg:

Okay I'm still not tellin' my super-secret beat the self-checkout time thing.

I'm not sure what the big fuss is but I do know that at one point in time not too long ago I grew very weary of waiting for 25 and 30 minutes in a checkout line especially when there was a malfunction at the register or somebody's credit card or debit card just wouldn't work. Many times I had a carriage full of goods at Walmart and grew so tired of the wait that while I was standing in line I replaced the entire carriage with an Amazon order... sent it in.... then simply pushed the carriage aside and walked out the door. There was nothing that I was so desperate for that I couldn't wait another day or two for. Now with Walmart's new self checkout everything is zippity zap quick! Before I enter the line I make sure all the barcodes are turned up and in a matter of 30 seconds with a furious flash of laser lines and a soliloquy of beeps I'm checked out! I realize that some people have a tremendous amount of trouble with it but for me it's the best thing that's ever happened to the retail industry.

Jo
I held off contracting Covid in part because of self checkout. I could get in and out of stores more quickly and reduce my time indoors around people.

I already know of one smaller store that has self-checkout: Dollar General. At least one location in my area has them.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
True enough, but in my area the dollar general also has live person checkout. The Walmart in the area does not.
And dg is not a small store, it's a large chain.

I'm not sure what the big fuss is but I do know that at one point in time not too long ago I grew very weary of waiting for 25 and 30 minutes in a checkout line especially when there was a malfunction at the register or somebody's credit card or debit card just wouldn't work. Many times I had a carriage full of goods at Walmart and grew so tired of the wait that while I was standing in line I replaced the entire carriage with an Amazon order... sent it in.... then simply pushed the carriage aside and walked out the door. There was nothing that I was so desperate for that I couldn't wait another day or two for. Now with Walmart's new self checkout everything is zippity zap quick! Before I enter the line I make sure all the barcodes are turned up and in a matter of 30 seconds with a furious flash of laser lines and a soliloquy of beeps I'm checked out! I realize that some people have a tremendous amount of trouble with it but for me it's the best thing that's ever happened to the retail industry.

Jo
Those cards were supposed to be faster. The bar code swipes have quickened the process at the cash register and the credit/debit cards have slowed it down. At times it is frustrating waiting. There are people who use several cards and even split what they purchased into separate costs. Self-checkout is great. Produce needs to be simplified along with easier alcohol purchases.

Those cards were supposed to be faster. The bar code swipes have quickened the process at the cash register and the credit/debit cards have slowed it down. At times it is frustrating waiting. There are people who use several cards and even split what they purchased into separate costs. Self-checkout is great. Produce needs to be simplified along with easier alcohol purchases.
They should probably have a 65 and older line where there are several attendants who can help them through....
Most young people regardless of nationality that seem to get along well with the self checkout

I get treated like a criminal in self checkout. Lol I'm a young Hispanic looking guy, so I rarely get past a greeter without being shook down for a receipt. I usually just hand it to them and keep walking.

I get treated like a criminal in self checkout. Lol I'm a young Hispanic looking guy, so I rarely get past a greeter without being shook down for a receipt. I usually just hand it to them and keep walking.
Lol

I primarily use self checkout. Our store has very few cashiers and it seems most employees are roaming the store with carts for online orders.
Out of 30 checkout lanes, I have never seen more than 4 that have a cashier.

I primarily use self checkout. Our store has very few cashiers and it seems most employees are roaming the store with carts for online orders.
Out of 30 checkout lanes, I have never seen more than 4 that have a cashier.
And you condemn yourself to a 30 minute wait if you get into one of those lines

I will do it for a few items

But like you, I won’t do a cartload of stuff.
Takes me too long to find the bar code
The barcodes are getting bigger and easier to find. Some packages have them on every surface now.

Shop smarter, too. At Publix, it's $7.59 and at a local store that's affiliated with Piggly Wiggly (and is considered a low-income supermarket) it's $2.39 and their expiration dates are further out.

Badia Black Pepper, Ground

I was just at my Publix picking up a few things and saw that they sell I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray butter for $5.55. That's corporate gouging, folks, not inflation.

For the better, if anything.

Learn what's actual inflation (very little) and what's corporate greed and taking advantage of a bad situation, in Covid (very much).
See . .that's the problem. To the end user it's all inflation.

Yep.....putting everyone on the edge of bankruptcy and homelessness to you is for the better.
It's all bullshit anyway. Trying to parse the causes and exonerate the government from end user currency dilution falls flat when you consider that all the supposed price gougers also pay taxes on that extracted wealth directly to....you guessed it ...the one entity that is not going to say shit about the incoming bucks.

Jo
I'm happy that so many do like the self checkout thingees because it usually means I get through the cashiered line more quickly. But over the years I have seen far more credit card problems and other snafus at the self checkout machines than happens in the lines with cashiers.

Shop smarter, too. At Publix, it's $7.59 and at a local store that's affiliated with Piggly Wiggly (and is considered a low-income supermarket) it's $2.39 and their expiration dates are further out.

Badia Black Pepper, Ground

I was just at my Publix picking up a few things and saw that they sell I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray butter for $5.55. That's corporate gouging, folks, not inflation.
While I don't agree that you can simply separate the two...I must agree that all people need to shop around...it can make a huge difference. Hell....even Amazon offers identical items at wildly different prices depending on the individual vendor.

Forum List

Back