Super-Conservative: Quit Jerkin'-Around Poor People!

Mr. Shaman

May 4, 2010
"Alan K. Simpson, the wise-cracking, 79-year old, ex- Republican U.S. senator from Wyoming, has been around politics and Washington long enough to harbor few illusions.

Neither does he have much fear of speaking his mind since he left the Senate in 1997.

Most recently, he put his wry, straight-talking approach in the service of President Obama's recently defunct fiscal responsibility commission, which he co-chaired.

s-CHENEY-CENTER-large.jpg

Steve Inskeep: Does it bother you at all that President Obama having convened the commission ... did not basically propose your budget plan when it came to laying out a budget?

ALAN SIMPSON: No it doesn't bother me at all because he's talked about a lot of our stuff. It's down in the bowels there, it's stuff that the American people don't see.

But we still have some leftover staff and they're saying "You'd be surprised at how much stuff that he's mentioning." Which opens the door to where they've got to go but, no, I'm not disappointed in him.

Steve Inskeep: Do you think that it is possible, however you figure out the numbers, to balance the budget or move it close to balance while preserving what we call the social safety net that has grown up in this country across many decades?

ALAN SIMPSON: Heating. That Leap group.

Steve Inskeep: LIHEAP.

ALAN SIMPSON: Yup, that's a critically important thing. That shouldn't even be touched.

You don't need to touch that, you need to go get rid of 250,000 contractors in the Defense Department where you can really pick up some small change.

Steve Inskeep: So you think the safety net can be preserved – that's not really where the big money is anyway.

ALAN SIMPSON: No! Child nutrition. WIC. Those things don't need to be chopped up.

Go for the chunk. Go in there to the Medicare and start hammering and that's what we tried to do with a $400 billion cut.

Steve asked the former senator if he thought the U.S. could maintain its military pre-eminence even with significant cuts in military spending. He had no doubts it could, Simpson said.

ALAN SIMPSON: Without any question. We have a defense budget now which is larger than all 14 other countries (with the largest economies.) That ought to get you somewhere.

Yes, except China, of course, and now they're gearing up.

We found stuff in the Defense Department that you can't believe. Here's one for ya. There's a DOD health system, its separate for Veterans Administration, its separate from Obamacare. It affects 2.2 million military retirees.

Their premium is $460 a year and no co-pay and includes their dependents and the cost to the U.S. is $53 billion a year.

Steve Inskeep: So maybe people ought to pay in a little more that's what you're saying...

ALAN SIMPSON: And, I'll tell you what, you mention that, here come the reserve officers, here comes the VA, the veterans groups and they'll rain boulders on your head.

That's how you pass or kill something in this country, you use emotion, fear, guilt or racism, and I've been in them all – I did immigration, nuclear, Social Security, ageing – I learned where the long knives are.

And as long as people are buffaloed by that, and fogged by that on the basis of protecting their hide from any peril, as H.L. Mencken once said, we're in deep trouble.

92.gif
92.gif
92.gif
92.gif

Old Guard. Inmaterial...
Ah, yes.....'cause what's worse than experience....when you're tryin' to keep Teabaggers entertained/distracted?​

"President Obama unveils his budget but comes under fire from Republicans for not being bold enough and from his own party for making the wrong cuts at the wrong time. As the debate heats up, Mr. Obama pleads for patience while Congress scrambles to come up with a plan to fund the government past March 4. Will there be a government shutdown or will lawmakers come to an agreement on spending? Joining us for an exclusive interview: Assistant Majority Leader Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) and member of the Senate Budget Committee, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC)."

So a politician said cut medicare and defense, not wic.

And you are acting like Jesus just made a speech from the top of a mountain or something?

Forum List

Back