Super committee had glimpse of elusive compromise

Reuters
Analysis

It didn't seem like mission impossible just two weeks ago.

Inside a private room on the first floor of the U.S. Senate, seven members of Washington's debt "super committee," munching beef jerky and talking taxes, thought for the first time a deal might be at hand.

Nine days after that November 7 meeting, it was all but over. Accusations of media leaks and bad faith had led to a fatal breakdown of trust among committee members fundamentally divided over the ideology of taxation and spending.

Trust that had been so painstakingly built by the six Republicans and six Democrats since the panel first began meeting nine weeks earlier unraveled at alarming speed.

By November 16 the super committee was essentially dead, according to interviews with senior aides and officials with intimate knowledge of the talks.

NBC Politics - Insight: Super committee had glimpse of elusive compromise

I am so disappointed over this. I foolishly thought it would work. Of course my first instinct is to blame the Republicans because they are usually at fault, in my view.

I really love Dr. Phil and he says something all the time that I am going to try and always consider. He always says that no matter how flat you make a pancake, there is always two sides. :) So in this case I guess both sides of this particular pancake deserve the blame.

Nobody should be giving this group a shred of credit. Either side. Whatever compromise they were close to getting to would be an absolute joke. The republican proposal was an abosolute. It basically amounted to throwing a thimble of water on a blazing house fire. And the democrats who are on another planet they're so removed from the reality of teh debt were even worse than that. It is going to take a RADICAL change in how the government operates and it's role in society to fix this now and there is hardly a single member of congress that is even close to getting that.

Oprah is a self-made Billionaire. Non male. Non white. Black woman, with every thing going against her. Rape victim, not conventionally attractive. And used her talents and skills and smarts to rise to the top, the cream of the cop. To the point of now owner her own network, not to mention her own magazine, publications (plural). She's her own media conglamerate.

The's THE EMBODIMENT of the American Dream.

The PERSONIFICATION of "picking yourself up by your bootstraps"

Yes the rabid RWers have her as an icon of hate.

Care to guess why, when she embodies ALL their professed virtues they claim to respect and represent?

I have a few guesses.

:lol: When someone 'admires' Dr Phil, you just know they're one of life's losers. :lol:

If Dr Phil was half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd know that there are three sides. Yours. Mine. And the truth.
Just look at who introduced him to America? Oprah...(and coincidently? She endorsed Obama too). :eusa_shhh:

Did she?

Daily, I am thankful that my parents discouraged a dependence on television.

Oh, now you are not just better than everybody else but your parents are better than other people's parents. You have no idea how much tv anybody watched as a child or how they were raised. But you love to assume.

You must really be worthless to have to constantly put down others and bring yourself up. It's really pathetic.

Last edited:
Oprah is a self-made Billionaire. Non male. Non white. Black woman, with every thing going against her. Rape victim, not conventionally attractive. And used her talents and skills and smarts to rise to the top, the cream of the cop. To the point of now owner her own network, not to mention her own magazine, publications (plural). She's her own media conglamerate.

Care to guess why, when she embodies ALL their professed virtues they claim to respect and represent?

I have a few guesses.

She flies in her private jets and doesn't like Obama's "tax the rich" bullshit, so what's your point?.....

I have a few guesses.

She flies in her private jets and doesn't like Obama's "tax the rich" bullshit, so what's your point?.....

What??? Close friend of hers, are you???

Forum List

Back