Super Bowl Fan-Vibe: A Media Tax(?)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Does sports-marketing feel 'shallow' to you?

====

As Super Bowl LIII approached, and the Goliath-like New England Patriots (led by titan-like QB Tom Brady) prepared to take on the hot L.A. Rams (led by young sensation QB Jared Goff!), fans around America wondered if all the hype surrounding this game would be justified. After all, Brady's Patriots lost the Super Bowl the previous year and most fans simply wanted to see the Rams capture their first title since 2000 (and avenge their loss to the machine-like Patriots in the 2001 Super Bowl!). However, there were a number of American NFL fans who were intrigued by the prospect of a Super Bowl drama seeing Brady capture his unprecedented 6th title or the Rams capture a title with such a young-sensation QB (Goff).

brady28.jpg

Brady had become a 'super-celebrity' and was featured in various magazines in America representative of mainstream culture/aesthetics such as GQ. Tom Brady started out as the backup-QB to the prodigy-QB Drew Bledsoe before stepping out in 2001 and taking the 'throne' and winning a whopping 5 Vince Lombardi trophies in the new millennium. In fact, many sports-writers wondered if Brady should win another Super Bowl at all, since his winning had simply become predictable/boring. However, of course, Patriots fans only wanted to see Brady keep winning before he finally retired from the NFL (and an incredible life in the spotlight).

brady34.jpg

Well, two American fans of the NFL wanted to add their own notes on this modern-day cultural drama. One was an Internet-blogger named Ajay (Algerian-American) and the other was Hollywood mega-star Tom Cruise. Ajay and Cruise were making statements in the media (Internet, TV interviews) about why/how Super Bowl LIII captured some region-culture intrigue (since Southern California, L.A., and New England, home of the Patriots) were so darn different. Ajay blogged that the Patriots should win, so anti-American terrorists would think that New England was a celebrated region in the USA. Cruise stated in an interview, meanwhile, that the Rams should win, so the NFL would have some needed variation (since Brady seemed to be winning everything!). Who was correct --- Ajay or Cruise?

brady33.jpg

As it turned out, a CIA agent read Ajay's blog and thought it was some kind of camouflaged statement made by an anti-terrorist group with agents (such as Ajay!) operating on the American homeland. Ajay was arrested and deported to Algeria where he was accused of and convicted of land-infiltration and terrorism and sentenced to life in prison. Meanwhile, Cruise decided to produce a movie about how the NFL drama of powerhouse teams competing on the stage of the Super Bowl was comparable to the Vietnam War. Cruise's film was called The Long Yards, and it would earn him a Golden Globe. Meanwhile, poor poor Ajay languished in prison in Algeria.

brady31.jpg

Fortunately, someone from the USA, an Internet-fan/follower of Ajay's blogs decided to petition to the U.S. Embassy in Algeria on his behalf. While Ajay was not released from prison, he was given a special TV and video-game console for his isolated cell. Ajay spent hours watching Nickelodeon cartoon-television and playing Madden NFL video-games on the Xbox placed in his cell. Two years later, someone interviewed Ajay and asked him if he regretted blogging on the Internet, to which the clever (if dejected) Ajay replied/explained, "Well, I don't want to be falsely-imprisoned in Algeria, since I went searching for the American Dream, but I have to say, it's not complete purgatory having access to Nickelodeon and Madden in my cell."

brady32.jpg

By the way, the L.A. Rams managed to defeat the Brady-led Patriots in Super Bowl LIII by a score of 31-24. It was a tight and tense game that was tied until the second half of the 4th quarter. Rams QB Jared Goff was named MVP. It was considered to be one of the best Super Bowl games ever played, even though the iconic Tom Brady failed again to finally capture his 6th Lombardi trophy. Goff began dating one of the Rams cheerleaders, and Brady never managed to capture his 6th title. Brady stated in an interview, "Fate is as damning as American media itself."

brady29.jpg

However, Super Bowl LIII changed the environment of sports-gambling completely, as more and more NFL fans began thinking about Brady's failure to capture a 6th title, opening up doors for more QBs/teams to surge through the competitive fields (e.g., Mahomes' Kansas City Chiefs). This was the flair/flavor of American sports, and perhaps it was already 'captured' in the sports-marketing film Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise). Cruise told GQ magazine in an interview, "The thing I remember the most about Super Bowl LIII was its stark irony!"

brady30.jpg

TRUMP: The Super Bowl (ads, etc.) have changed marketing!
CARTER: It sure has, Mr. President.
TRUMP: I personally wish Tom Brady got his 6th title...
CARTER: Yes, 6 titles seems insurmountable --- a true record!
TRUMP: Well, he'll still be compared to the likes of Brett Favre and Steve Young.
CARTER: It's a certain 'media-tax' that sports-fanfare alters the winds of aesthetics.
TRUMP: Yeah, when dominant players fail to reach records, fans change their vision!
CARTER: Did you see the Cruise-produced film The Long Yards?
TRUMP: Yes I did, but I preferred the film The Longest Yard (Burt Reynolds).
CARTER: By the way, that blogger (Ajay) never got out of that Algerian prison.

====

:backpedal:

Forum List

Back