Suns Pick FIRST In 2018 NBA Draft!

Tom Horn

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2015
NEARBY
It's been FIFTY YEARS since the Phoenix Suns lost a coin flip and a fella named Lew Alcindor headed to the Milwaukee Bucks. The Suns came oh so close in the Barkley era, but the Bulls sneaked by them in 1993, game 6, in the Jordan era. Same story as in 1976 when the Celtics got them in 6.....and that's as close as we ever got to an NBA Title. The Suns tanked for the last three years and FINALLY it paid off with a #1. So who is it gonna be? The U.of Arizona 7-footer, or the 6'6" sniper from Slovenia? Ayton or Luka Donic?
dunno.gif

DeAndre-Ayton-Luka-Doncic.jpg

I've watched tape on both of them and they both have their strong points. My opinion could change but Donic reminds me of Thunder Dan Majerle, probably after Westphal my favorite Sun of all time. Ayton could be a great one, but Donic WILL be a great one and he's my pick unless he gets hurt or doesn't want to play in the US all that bad. Donic.

Speaking of the Suns I still love/ remember the series when Sir Charles almost beat Michael.

• Banned
Speaking of the Suns I still love/ remember the series when Sir Charles almost beat Michael.

Ainge got lost on defense and Paxton nailed the 3 with a second left....I can still see it in my nightmares.
casty.gif

Ainge got lost on defense and Paxton nailed the 3 with a second left....I can still see it in my nightmares.
casty.gif

Exactly I was in OHARE airport just coming back from somewhere and I had to hit the bar to watch it, Charles was great ...

• Banned
Exactly I was in OHARE airport just coming back from somewhere and I had to hit the bar to watch it, Charles was great ...

Chuck was MVP that year....only 6'4" (he was listed at 6'6") player to ever lead the League in rebounding. His battles with Charles Oakley were freakin classics....Chuck's number is retired and hanging in the rafters...Ring of Honor.

Chuck was MVP that year....only 6'4" (he was listed at 6'6") player to ever lead the League in rebounding. His battles with Charles Oakley were freakin classics....Chuck's number is retired and hanging in the rafters...Ring of Honor.

As a Chicago guy i was getting sick of the bulls winning , don't tell no one I sure was rooting for the Suns that year.

It's been FIFTY YEARS since the Phoenix Suns lost a coin flip and a fella named Lew Alcindor headed to the Milwaukee Bucks. The Suns came oh so close in the Barkley era, but the Bulls sneaked by them in 1993, game 6, in the Jordan era. Same story as in 1976 when the Celtics got them in 6.....and that's as close as we ever got to an NBA Title. The Suns tanked for the last three years and FINALLY it paid off with a #1. So who is it gonna be? The U.of Arizona 7-footer, or the 6'6" sniper from Slovenia? Ayton or Luka Donic?
dunno.gif

I've watched tape on both of them and they both have their strong points. My opinion could change but Donic reminds me of Thunder Dan Majerle, probably after Westphal my favorite Sun of all time. Ayton could be a great one, but Donic WILL be a great one and he's my pick unless he gets hurt or doesn't want to play in the US all that bad. Donic.
Take the 7 footer.

So you’re saying the number two pick is happy too? Who’s that?

dunno.gif

Take the 7 footer.

Ayton made a name for himself down in Tucson so he's a local kid (by way of the Bahamas). On the other hand, the Suns new coach is from Slovenia and coached Luka over there....the consensus is that it's the two of them who will go 1-2. Donic reminds me of Bird.....cold-blooded...drains 3 from anywhere, good hops, terrific passer. BTW, I was thrilled to see Griffin leave the Clippers and go to the Pistons...he tossed around Sun's forwards like rag dolls.

dunno.gif

Take the 7 footer.

Ayton made a name for himself down in Tucson so he's a local kid (by way of the Bahamas). On the other hand, the Suns new coach is from Slovenia and coached Luka over there....the consensus is that it's the two of them who will go 1-2. Donic reminds me of Bird.....cold-blooded...drains 3 from anywhere, good hops, terrific passer. BTW, I was thrilled to see Griffin leave the Clippers and go to the Pistons...he tossed around Sun's forwards like rag dolls.

I'm not happy we got injury old Griffin. He shows signs of greatness but he's getting old.

It turns out the 19 year old Donic grew 2" since winter and is now 6'8". Other than Magic and George Gervin, I can't think of many 6'8" guards. If he gets another spurt, he's grown himself out of #2 guard size and into SF forward size. But the Suns already have TWO excellent SFs in Josh Jackson and TJ Warren.
eusa_doh.gif
He'll also want to play for the Slovenia national team in the Worlds over the summers like Dragic did and come in in September without having gotten the proper rest.

Everybody says the NBA is no longer center-centric which is true if you look at Golden State and Boston. On the other hand, I like a guy who can work the pick and roll, get offensive rebounds, tip-ins and blocks on defense. Seems Ayton hits over 70% of his FTs...unusual for dunk-drunk young blacks who shine on fundamental basketball to wow the crowds. He also supposedly has a 44" vertical which is pretty much unheard of for a 7'er. Dang it....I thought I'd chosen Donic but now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Midnight UPDATE: So I went looking for this supposed 44" vertical of Ayton's and it's horseshit. The vid claiming that is bogus for two reasons. First a vertical is from a standing jump, not a running jump. And he's maybe 30" off the floor on a running jump. Ayton also has the lowest blocked-shot total of any first round college center in recent memory. He basically stands at the top of the key waving his arms and calls it defense...Skinny legs...he ain't moving any NBA center worth a damn with those stilts. Back to Luka Donic and sticking with it....for now.
eusa_shifty.gif

Is basketball over? Who won..???
Boston’s about to go up 2 0 on LeBron.

Boston really? Damn i have been so out of touch following basketball after the idiot broke up the bulls .
What I wonder is what team will LeBron join next year in order to defeat the warriors. Lakers? New York? Detroit? (I wish)

Philadelphia or Houston if he wants a championship, the Lakers aren’t strong enough to compete with the Warriors, Lebron or not. Milwaukee, Indiana are ready and James could help them win, Portland with Lillard, CJ and Nurkic would be powerful. NY and Detroit need too much help for Lebron.

You'd be better off with Ayton. I liked Majerle but you didn't win anything with him ad Doncic reminds me of Kukoc. Ayton WILL be great. Many European players do not adjust well to the more physical game here. Ayton is a Joel Embid type, Doncic is a guy who has never played in America and averages 19 points in Euroleague. He's another overblown European player who probably should be a second round pick.

Forum List

Back