Sunday School is indoctrination

Witchit

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2014
TARDIS
I have a Facebook friend that I was friends with at church back when my daughter was born, well over thirty years ago. I commented on my page the same thing I said here, which was "And another thing that irks my tater. Getting all pissy and claiming kids are being indoctrinated and used.

Well what the actual fuck do you think Sunday School is about!?"

It actually was quite kind of her to respond, since I did drop the F-bomb and she is a Christian Woman.

*caps on purpose*

At any rate, this was her response, and mine is the rest of the OP.

"When most kids in this country were "indoctrinated" in Sunday School there was a lot less crime....."

Crime has been up and down since this country was founded. Sunday school has almost been a constant, just as it remains for a portion of the population today. I don't have statistics, but speaking from my own experience and people I am acquainted with, quite a few kids went through hell in the name of Jesus. Spousal abuse, child molestation - it's almost like people gave themselves free rein to terrorize family members because either God said they could, or they twisted the Bible to allow it, or they didn't even need to twist it. Spare the rod means getting beaten. People can pretty it up all they want, but that's what was happening. Shit you can never forget, no matter how hard you try and how much time goes by.

I don't believe I'm crime-free because Sunday school. I believe I'm crime-free because even as I am an agnostic at the very least, I have a very strong moral compass which bears no resemblance to the bulk of the evangelical people of faith I see today, because their faith bears no resemblance to the New Testament.

**for those of you wondering why I said "God said" - ever heard of "tongues and interpretation?"**

I have a Facebook friend that I was friends with at church back when my daughter was born, well over thirty years ago. I commented on my page the same thing I said here, which was "And another thing that irks my tater. Getting all pissy and claiming kids are being indoctrinated and used.

It actually was quite kind of her to respond, since I did drop the F-bomb and she is a Christian Woman.

*caps on purpose*

"When most kids in this country were "indoctrinated" in Sunday School there was a lot less crime....."

Crime has been up and down since this country was founded. Sunday school has almost been a constant, just as it remains for a portion of the population today. I don't have statistics, but speaking from my own experience and people I am acquainted with, quite a few kids went through hell in the name of Jesus. Spousal abuse, child molestation - it's almost like people gave themselves free rein to terrorize family members because either God said they could, or they twisted the Bible to allow it, or they didn't even need to twist it. Spare the rod means getting beaten. People can pretty it up all they want, but that's what was happening. Shit you can never forget, no matter how hard you try and how much time goes by.

I don't believe I'm crime-free because Sunday school. I believe I'm crime-free because even as I am an agnostic at the very least, I have a very strong moral compass which bears no resemblance to the bulk of the evangelical people of faith I see today, because their faith bears no resemblance to the New Testament.

**for those of you wondering why I said "God said" - ever heard of "tongues and interpretation?"**
You are brainwashed from the minute of your birth.

Momma wants to brainwash you not to cry. But you have every reason to cry -- you are hungry and cold.

Your parents have the first shot at teaching you their idea of right and wrong. Anything they don't like is wrong.

Your little neighborhood friends will introduce you to peer pressure the minute you start going outside.

Your school teachers have the next crack at you.

Then your priest or minister.

Then the government if you go to public schools.

Then your college.

Then your political party.

Then your employers.

The only freedom from brainwashing is through an extensive study of Philosophy.

And some philosophers will try to brainwash you further.

To understand Roger Scruton in England you need to study Plato, Aristotle, Tomas Aquinas, Rene Descartes, Leibniz, and the atheist Bertrand Russell extensively first.

It is actually easier to climb Everest.

Last edited:

*caps on purpose*

You are brainwashed from ...

From?

I have a grandmother who was a preacher, and I always went to Sunday school. I had to go to church three times a week.

*caps on purpose*

You are brainwashed from ...

From?
... had to finish the post first. See supra.

I have a grandmother who was a preacher, and I always went to Sunday school. I had to go to church three times a week.

Not the preacher part, but Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, Summer camp and revival meetings.

People crack me up when they give me grief for being an agnostic.

*caps on purpose*

Momma wants to brainwash you not to cry. But you have every reason to cry -- you are hungry and cold.

Your parents have the first shot at teaching you their idea of right and wrong. Anything they don't like is wrong.

Your little neighborhood friends will introduce you to peer pressure the minute you start going outside.

Then your college.

Then your employers.

To understand Roger Scruton in England you need to study Plato, Aristotle, Tomas Aquinas, Rene Descartes, Leibniz, and the atheist Bertrand Russell extensively first.

I'm kind of surprised you say anything, then. Ever. I'd probably go stark staring mad if I thought that nothing I thought or felt or did was my own thinking or reacting, but rather that I was programmed.

*caps on purpose*

Agnostic is a perfectly legitimate logical position.

"Show me first !!"

The problem however is that the God(s) is/are shy. They keep to themselves.

They won't show you. The God(s) is/are only flattered by imitation.

And unless you first imitate them somehow they won't ever take an interest in you.

So whereas your position IS logical it is NOT necessarily SOUND.

Last edited:
I went to Sunday school as a kid, as well as a catholic school. Nowadays, I consider myself an Atheist, but I don't agree with the idea that Sunday school is indoctrination. All I remember from sunday school is learning about stories from the bible and how to be a better person to those around me, how is that bad? You are right that crime has been up and down, but i'd wager most people agree that religion can be a positive force in reducing crime. This is one example and may not be true in all cases, but one of my cousins, who is only 20 years old, got involved with really hard drugs and the wrong crowd several years ago. He almost died and went to rehab, claiming that he's turned to god as a positive force in life. None of us believed him, and now he's clean 4 years later speaking to youth about his experience and is a completely different person. Most Christians have a very strong Moral compass, despite what r/atheism likes to claim. Spousal abuse and child molestation are both problems but what faith doesn't have similar issues? It's dishonest to link both of those to Sunday school anyways, like, where does that connection come from?

*caps on purpose*

Then your college.

Then your employers.

I'm kind of surprised you say anything, then. Ever. I'd probably go stark staring mad if I thought that nothing I thought or felt or did was my own thinking or reacting, but rather that I was programmed.
The good news is that through an extensive life long study of pure Philosophy you CAN escape all brainwashing and become free again as you were on the day you were born.

It is just hard though -- like climbing Everest.

I went to Sunday school as a kid, as well as a catholic school. Nowadays, I consider myself an Atheist, but I don't agree with the idea that Sunday school is indoctrination. All I remember from sunday school is learning about stories from the bible and how to be a better person to those around me, how is that bad? You are right that crime has been up and down, but i'd wager most people agree that religion can be a positive force in reducing crime. This is one example and may not be true in all cases, but one of my cousins, who is only 20 years old, got involved with really hard drugs and the wrong crowd several years ago. He almost died and went to rehab, claiming that he's turned to god as a positive force in life. None of us believed him, and now he's clean 4 years later speaking to youth about his experience and is a completely different person. Most Christians have a very strong Moral compass, despite what r/atheism likes to claim. Spousal abuse and child molestation are both problems but what faith doesn't have similar issues? It's dishonest to link both of those to Sunday school anyways, like, where does that connection come from?
Well I can tell you from experience that Catholic Church is pure brainwashing.

And the Protestants are all lazy Catholics -- they don't want to do any good works at all -- grace saves them for nothing.

No more indoctrination than public schools...the left has no issues with that taking place

And the Protestants are all lazy Catholics -- they don't want to do any good works at all -- grace saves them for nothing.
I went to catholic school for 8 years, my entire family on both sides are devout catholics. I would hardly say they're brainwashed. My local church has wonderful programs helping those disadvantaged in the community, and they are an incredibly small church. Members of the church get together to create blankets for the homeless, drive around to the homes of those who aren't able to get out and buy things they need to survive due to disabilities making sure they have what they need, and the list goes on.. Protestants do the same thing. Home - Group that does alot for my community and the surrounding areas.

I went to catholic school for 8 years, my entire family on both sides are devout catholics. I would hardly say they're brainwashed. My local church has wonderful programs helping those disadvantaged in the community, and they are an incredibly small church. Members of the church get together to create blankets for the homeless, drive around to the homes of those who aren't able to get out and buy things they need to survive due to disabilities making sure they have what they need, and the list goes on.. Protestants do the same thing. Home - Group that does alot for my community and the surrounding areas.
IF you say "they are not brainwashed" THEN you are truly brainwashed.

I love The Lord Jesus Christ.

I love The Virgin Mary.

I love Pope Francis.

I love my priest and parish.

But I am not afraid to disagree with any or all of them.

dam no wonder you are gay....
Harry Dresden I am adding you to my FOLLOW list.

Congrats.
follow at your own risk fella.....i can end up in some dark scary places....
images (18).jpg

Forum List

Back