Summer Heat-Related Deaths Expected To Triple By 2100

Nuclear is fought by environmentalist that don't want nuclear in their back yard.
Hydro is fought by environmentalists that don't want dams in their back yard.
Wind solar is fought by environmentalists that don't want windmills in their back yard.
Tidal is fought by environmentalists that don't want generators on their beach.
Geothermal is fought by environmentalists that don't want holes drilled in their back yard.

anyone who does that is not an "environmentalist."

Funny thing is, most of the people that promote your above things over fossil fuels suddenly sing a different tune and scream NIMBY as soon as action is taken on them.

I fully and completely support all of the above, I would personally prefer to have 100% of our electrical and transportation energy be provided by and through the application of advanced design, government operated and secured, modern nuclear power reactors.

But, it does seem a waste not to utilize alternative energy technologies where they make sense (ie., solar in the desert southwest, and as supplemental roof-top end-user power throughout most of the country, hydro in the mountainous regions, wind and tidal where geography dictate, and geothermal where-ever crustal warm pockets exist). I am not alone in these beliefs.

reference:
"Nuclear Energy Insight" - http://www.nei.org/resourcesandstat...clear-energy-consistent-with-clean-air-goals/

"Environmentalists For Nuclear Energy" - http://www.ecolo.org/base/baseen.htm

Last edited:
If it really gets so hot, can't we just use solar panels to power the air conditioning? If there's an abundance of sunshine, then I don't see the problem, I see it as an advantage...maybe the Americans can construct something like Desertec.

I believe that it is getting warmer, and in addition I believe that due to this increase in overall temps, the weather will continue to get wilder and weirder.

What's more I believe that the recent statistics (say the last 30 years or so) support this contention.

Will this trend continue?

I have no idea.

Do we have a clear picture of what the root cause is?

I seriously doubt it. We have theories.

If it really gets so hot, can't we just use solar panels to power the air conditioning? If there's an abundance of sunshine, then I don't see the problem, I see it as an advantage...maybe the Americans can construct something like Desertec.

You still don't get it, frankie. It's not getting hotter because of "an abundance of sunshine". It's getting hotter because the extra CO2 mankind has added to the atmosphere acts like an extra blanket on your bed and holds in some extra amount of the normal heat energy, that the Earth received from the sun, that would have ordinarily and previously been radiated out to space.

And BTW, we can, even now, use solar photo-voltaic materials, like silicon panels and thin film and others, to "power the air conditioning" and just about everything else. In practice. our future energy supplies will probably be a mixture of solar. wind, ocean wave/tide/current, hydro-electric, geo-thermal, some bio-fuels, and hydrogen from sunlight (new development). Or perhaps something unexpected, like cold fusion or even (finally) hot fusion, will make a breakthrough and get developed. Current conventional nuclear power plants would be one of the worst alternative sources for many reasons, even if the operation of nuclear plants themselves produce relatively few carbon emissions (the mining and processing of the fissionables are another story). The jury is still out on the safety and feasibility of thorium reactors and they still require fuel from somewhere else and involve centralized distribution and control. The country and the world would be far better off with more decentralized, independently owned power sources though. With the next generation of high capacity, long life, low cost, solid-state lithium batteries, storing power from solar and wind will get a lot easier and way cheaper and that along with the better, cheaper solar and wind generators that are coming out will get a lot more people into becoming semi or fully independent of the grid and achieving personal energy independence. Include in that, of course, using the sun or wind energy you harvest to charge up a next-gen electric car that gets 400 miles to a charge and you're really independent of all the gas and energy price fluctuation that whipsaws people's budgets now.

Heat injuries can be prevented by proper hydration, acclimatization, education, and sodium replacement.

Better cut down on air conditioning because that burns "fossil fuels" and that creates more imaginary manmade global warming...so, the only way to counteract these deaths is with more death and declining Western civilization

Air conditioners don't run on fossil fuels, they run on electricity. We simply need to produce electricity with carbon neutral technologies. When your boat is leaky, the first reasoned option is to fix the leak, not scuttle the boat.

You don't sink the ship before before you BUILD it's replacement, and make sure IT FLOATS... Or you're gonna be treading water.

I believe that it is getting warmer, and in addition I believe that due to this increase in overall temps, the weather will continue to get wilder and weirder.

What's more I believe that the recent statistics (say the last 30 years or so) support this contention.

I have no idea.

Actually, you don't "have a clear picture" but that is because you
a) have your head stuck in a hole in the sand
b) are brainwashed by the propaganda
c) are clueless, scientifically illiterate and kind of gullible

Climate scientists have a very clear and well verified picture of what "the root cause is" and that is the 40% increase in atmospheric levels of a powerful greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide, that mankind has created, primarily by burning fossil fuels and deforestation. The physics of all this are quite clear and "this trend" will inevitably continue for a long time even if the world immediately begins reducing carbon emissions. The longer we wait to begin that effort, the worst things will eventually get. Our descendents will curse this generation's stupidity, shortsightedness and greed.

Heat injuries can be prevented by proper hydration, acclimatization, education, and sodium replacement.
Oh....really....perhaps you could explain that to these folks. And BTW, do your remedies work on crops?

Deadly heatwaves will be more frequent in coming decades, say scientists
Mega-heatwaves' like the one estimated to have killed tens of thousands in western Europe in 2003 will become up to 10 times more likely over the next 40 years, a study suggests

The Guardian
Damian Carrington
17 March 2011
(excerpts)

The heatwave that scorched eastern Europe in 2010, killing thousands of people and devastating crops, was the worst since records began and led to the warmest summer on the continent for at least 500 years, a new scientific analysis has revealed. The research also suggests that "mega-heatwaves", such as the prolonged extreme temperatures that struck western Europe in 2003 will become five to 10 times more likely over the next 40 years, occurring at least once a decade. But the 2010 heatwave was so extreme – 10C above the average for the first week of August between 1970 and 2000 – that similar events are only expected to occur once every 30 years or so.

Searing temperatures in July and August 2010 across Russia are estimated to have killed 50,000 people, say the researchers, who were led by David Barriopedro at the University of Lisbon in Portugal. Mortality rates in Moscow doubled compared with the previous year, filling morgues to capacity as people succumbed to heatstroke and respiratory problems. More heat-related deaths are expected to have occurred in the Baltic states Ukraine and Kazakhstan, though these figures have not yet been estimated. The mega-heatwave also cut the Russian grain yield by 25%, sending food prices soaring, and left a million hectares of land burned. The nation's losses are estimated at $15bn.

I have no idea.

Climate scientists have a very clear and well verified picture of what "the root cause is" and that is the 40% increase in atmospheric levels of a powerful greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide, that mankind has created, primarily by burning fossil fuels and deforestation. The physics of all this are quite clear and "this trend" will inevitably continue for a long time even if the world immediately begins reducing carbon emissions. The longer we wait to begin that effort, the worst things will eventually get. Our descendents will curse this generation's stupidity, shortsightedness and greed.

Just like I'm still cursing those damned Dinosaurs for not plugging up all those Volcano's when they had the chance.

Oh....really....perhaps you could explain that to these folks. And BTW, do your remedies work on crops?

Mega-heatwaves' like the one estimated to have killed tens of thousands in western Europe in 2003 will become up to 10 times more likely over the next 40 years, a study suggests

The Guardian
Damian Carrington
17 March 2011
(excerpts)

The heatwave that scorched eastern Europe in 2010, killing thousands of people and devastating crops, was the worst since records began and led to the warmest summer on the continent for at least 500 years, a new scientific analysis has revealed. The research also suggests that "mega-heatwaves", such as the prolonged extreme temperatures that struck western Europe in 2003 will become five to 10 times more likely over the next 40 years, occurring at least once a decade. But the 2010 heatwave was so extreme – 10C above the average for the first week of August between 1970 and 2000 – that similar events are only expected to occur once every 30 years or so.

Searing temperatures in July and August 2010 across Russia are estimated to have killed 50,000 people, say the researchers, who were led by David Barriopedro at the University of Lisbon in Portugal. Mortality rates in Moscow doubled compared with the previous year, filling morgues to capacity as people succumbed to heatstroke and respiratory problems. More heat-related deaths are expected to have occurred in the Baltic states Ukraine and Kazakhstan, though these figures have not yet been estimated. The mega-heatwave also cut the Russian grain yield by 25%, sending food prices soaring, and left a million hectares of land burned. The nation's losses are estimated at $15bn.

Calm down there dickweed.

Yes, it works on crops.

I have no idea.

Just like I'm still cursing those damned Dinosaurs for not plugging up all those Volcano's when they had the chance.

Ah...so you're just another run-of-the-mill clueless retard. Got it.

The Guardian
Damian Carrington
17 March 2011
(excerpts)

Calm down there dickweed.

Yes, it works on crops.

LOLOLOLOLOL.....you win the prize for the most retarded response of the day. Congratulations, moron.

Now why don't you go and hydrate, acclimate and educate some wheat, and don't forget to replace the salt. LOL. BTW, did your head get wedged so far up your ass when you were in the Navy or were you just born with congenital brain defects?

Summer Heat-Related Deaths In US Expected To Triple By 2100 As Temperatures Soar: Report - http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/345108/20120524/climate-change-summer-related-deaths-triple-2100.htm

...The annual number of heat-related deaths in the United States is expected to triple by the end of the century, according to a new report, which predicts more than 150,000 Americans could die by 2100 from dangerously high summer temperatures resulting from climate change.

Currently, there are about 1,300 heat-related deaths in an average U.S. summer. Climate change will make that number rise to more than 4,600 by the end of the century, according to an analysis of peer-reviewed scientific data from the Natural Resources Defense Council, which reports extreme temperatures typically exacerbate already life-threatening conditions such as heat stroke, cardiovascular disease and kidney disease...

YAAAAWWWWNNN.

In the 70s, they told us that the whole of North America was going to be under ice.

In the 90s they told us that there would be no more snow in the US by 2010.

Now they say that there will be a boatload of deaths from the SUV-generated heat.

What will the next load of bull shit be?

Summer Heat-Related Deaths In US Expected To Triple By 2100 As Temperatures Soar: Report - http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/345108/20120524/climate-change-summer-related-deaths-triple-2100.htm

...The annual number of heat-related deaths in the United States is expected to triple by the end of the century, according to a new report, which predicts more than 150,000 Americans could die by 2100 from dangerously high summer temperatures resulting from climate change.

Currently, there are about 1,300 heat-related deaths in an average U.S. summer. Climate change will make that number rise to more than 4,600 by the end of the century, according to an analysis of peer-reviewed scientific data from the Natural Resources Defense Council, which reports extreme temperatures typically exacerbate already life-threatening conditions such as heat stroke, cardiovascular disease and kidney disease...

YAAAAWWWWNNN.

In the 70s, they told us that the whole of North America was going to be under ice.

Now they say that there will be a boatload of deaths from the SUV-generated heat.

Cow farts...oh wait, they already used that. my bad

YAAAAWWWWNNN.

Cow farts...oh wait, they already used that. my bad

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XYiC6n0CCk]cow fart - YouTube[/ame]

thpool_fart.gif

Of course, increased electrical usage will be required to power air-conditioning (and this doesn't resolve what happens to the plants and animals that can no longer tolerate the changes outside); the question is, are you willing to have you and your children pay a lot more for air conditioning, to give more profits to coal, oil and gas companies, when it is the combustion residue of their products that is the primary reason temperatures are rising?

I have no idea.

"Scientific Theories" are clear and well-supported pictures.

To scientists, a theory provides a coherent explanation that holds true for a large number of facts and observations about the natural world. It has to be internally consistent, based upon evidence, tested against a wide range of phenomena and demonstrate problem solving.

Glossary | Sciencelearn Hub

Better cut down on air conditioning because that burns "fossil fuels" and that creates more imaginary manmade global warming...so, the only way to counteract these deaths is with more death and declining Western civilization

I was going to say almost the same thing....they won't die of the heat if they can afford their energy/air conditioning and water bills.

The cold is a bigger threat. Sensible people can survive the heat if they have shade and water.

Nobody can survive the cold if they don't have heat.

You don't sink the ship before before you BUILD it's replacement, and make sure IT FLOATS... Or you're gonna be treading water.

The current plan seems to involve sealing ourselves in an inescapable tank, turning on the water, and then trying very hard to evolve gills when the water gets too high.

All I advocate is turning down the volume of the water and increasing our efforts to shut off the water all together. Not that I'm against evolving gills, its just that I don't want to force the situation where the only options any have is evolve gills or die.

Forum List

Back