Global emissions hit record levels

Trakar

VIP Member
Feb 28, 2011

Global CO2 emissions hit a record high of 31.6 gigatonnes in 2011. According to the International Energy Association (IEA) the new peak, which is 1Gt higher than the year before, threatens to scupper plans to prevent global warming.

The IEA has a climate change scenario which requires global CO2 emissions to reach a maximum of 32.6 Gt no later than 2017. This is necessary should we have a chance of limiting a 2°C global temperature increase needed to prevent disaster.

The ‘450 scenario’ is only 1Gt higher than last year’s emissions levels, painting a grim picture for the world’s climate ambitions.

IEA Chief Economist Fatih Birol said: “The new data provide further evidence that the door to a 2°C trajectory is about to close.”...

We will continue, every year, to increase the GHGs we emit. Until a mega catastrophe that is climate related kills 100,000 or more. But of course, the reductions we make then will not affect the consequences that we will face.

Yes, Steve, you will have 'won'.

We will continue, every year, to increase the GHGs we emit. Until a mega catastrophe that is climate related kills 100,000 or more. But of course, the reductions we make then will not affect the consequences that we will face.

I will always appreciate the drama you added. ( and all the stats)

You're a waste of electrons

Combat ManMade Global Warming by shutting the fuck up and getting off the grid

Global CO2 emissions hit a record high of 31.6 gigatonnes in 2011. According to the International Energy Association (IEA) the new peak, which is 1Gt higher than the year before, threatens to scupper plans to prevent global warming.

The IEA has a climate change scenario which requires global CO2 emissions to reach a maximum of 32.6 Gt no later than 2017. This is necessary should we have a chance of limiting a 2°C global temperature increase needed to prevent disaster.

The ‘450 scenario’ is only 1Gt higher than last year’s emissions levels, painting a grim picture for the world’s climate ambitions.

IEA Chief Economist Fatih Birol said: “The new data provide further evidence that the door to a 2°C trajectory is about to close.”...

And yet, global temperatures have been flat, or slightly lowering over the past decade and a half. Square that with the hypothesis of AGW.

And yet, global temperatures have been flat, or slightly lowering over the past decade and a half. Square that with the hypothesis of AGW.

That's easy!

Pick any weather even and say, "because of manmade global warming"

That's how it's done. Watch

Global temperatures have been flat, or slightly lowering over the past decade and a half because of manmade global warming

Last edited:
Hmmm..........best consider trading in my 305HP Mustang GT...

I don't really understand why anyone would want to own a Fix Or Repair Daily, underpowered, camaro wannabe in the first place, but if you are thinking of trading it in there are lot's better reasons than that your 'stang is an over-priced and antiquated horseless buggy that is an inefficient waste of money and fuel.

If you are really interested in a good, green vehicle, you might start looking at Cadillac's ELR (won't reach showroom floors til after next summer) or their Diesel-engined cupes that should be out late summer this year. If you aren't hung up on "made in 'murika," you might look more at something like my personal favorites, the Bayerische Motoren Werke i8 or the Mercedes SLS AMG E-Cell with 526 hp and 649 lb-ft of torque, . I wouldn't short-change Infiniti's Emerg-E but it looks like too much like Smokey bait to me, and no matter how fast you are, it's hard to outrun radio.

Beyond these somewhat pricey new stallions, there are lots of custom shops turning sludge-suckers like your teeny-bopper cage into modern, efficient and effective means of transportation. If you are having a hard time finding one, let me know and I'll be happy to hook you up with some sites that can help you locate a reputable mechanic in your area.

Last edited:
How much is a gigaton compared to the total weight of Earth's atmosphere?

1=1
1000 = thousand
1000000 = million
1000000000 = billion
1000000000000 = trillion
1000000000000000 = quadrillion

Earth's atmosphere is approximately 5 quadrillion tons of mass. A gigaton is 1billion tons, therefore 1gigaton/5 quadrillion tons = 0.0000002.

1ppm of our atmosphere of CO2 masses essentially 2.12 Gt of Carbon (note C not CO2). There are approximately 2960 Gton of CO2 in the atmosphere currently (396ppm) about 1/4 of this volume is due to the burning of fossil fuels over the last century or so and the rate of increase is accelerating.

By way of comparison. the average human weighs about 60,000g and the lethal dose of cyanide is about 0.09g. This indicates a 1.5E^-6 ratio, or about an order of magnitude greater than the 1Gt to 5Qt ratio. Humanity adds approximately 6Gt CO2 per year to the atmosphere. If instead of CO2, we were adding cyanide to the atmosphere at the same rate, and it persisted in the atmosphere, it would only take a couple of years for us to make the atmosphere of our entire planet lethal to human life.

Luckily, cyanide isn't the primary byproduct of fossil fuel combustion.

Last edited:
How much is a gigaton compared to the total weight of Earth's atmosphere?

1=1
1000 = thousand
1000000 = million
1000000000 = billion
1000000000000 = trillion
1000000000000000 = quadrillion

Earth's atmosphere is approximately 5 quadrillion tons of mass. A gigaton is 1billion tons, therefore 1gigaton/5 quadrillion tons = 0.0000002.

1ppm of our atmosphere of CO2 masses essentially 2.12 Gt of Carbon (note C not CO2). There are approximately 2960 Gton of CO2 in the atmosphere currently (396ppm) about 1/4 of this volume is due to the burning of fossil fuels over the last century or so and the rate of increase is accelerating.

By way of comparison. the average human weighs about 60,000g and the lethal dose of cyanide is about 0.09g. This indicates a 1.5E^-6 ratio, or about an order of magnitude greater than the 1Gt to 5Qt ratio. Humanity adds approximately 6Gt per year to the atmosphere. If instead of CO2, we were adding cyanide to the atmosphere at the same rate, and it persisted in the atmosphere, it would only take 2 years for us to make the atmosphere of our entire planet lethal to human life.

Luckily, cyanide isn't the primary byproduct of fossil fuel combustion.

Cynaide? Because CO2 a natural byproduct of breathing and photosynthesis is now some deadly poison?

Moron.

It's matters not if you measure in Gigatons or PPM, the additional CO2 is less than a rounding error and inert.

And if it's as powerful as you allege who don't you have one single lab experiment that shows a temperature increase from a 10PPM increase in CO2?

Hmm?

Last edited:
Global temperatures have been flat, or slightly lowering over the past decade and a half because of manmade global warming

Climate trends aren't discernible with any real confidence in much under 30 year intervals, but even here, observable and verifiable facts over the last 15 years (1996-2011) seem to indicate otherwise.

GISS Surface Temperature Analysis - Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Analysis Graphs and Plots

NOAA Global Surface Temperature Anomaly - NCDC: Global Surface Temperature Anomalies

"Global temperature evolution 1979–2010"- http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/6/4/044022/pdf/1748-9326_6_4_044022.pdf

I simply do not see this "flat" or "declining" rate of increase you seem to believe is present in the data.

Haven't you learned yet not to believe anything the warmists say?

They're the reason that folks say '87.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.....'

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs]Blazing Saddles --Farting Cowboys- Greatest Fart Scene of All Time - YouTube[/ame]

Climate trends aren't discernible with any real confidence in much under 30 year intervals, but even here, observable and verifiable facts over the last 15 years (1996-2011) seem to indicate otherwise.

GISS Surface Temperature Analysis - Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Analysis Graphs and Plots

NOAA Global Surface Temperature Anomaly - NCDC: Global Surface Temperature Anomalies

"Global temperature evolution 1979–2010"- http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/6/4/044022/pdf/1748-9326_6_4_044022.pdf

I simply do not see this "flat" or "declining" rate of increase you seem to believe is present in the data.

Remember him?

Climategate U-turn: Astonishment as scientist at centre of global warming email row admits data not well organised | Mail Online

Haven't you learned yet not to believe anything the warmists say?

They're the reason that folks say '87.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.....'

too good,,,,

~S~

I'm just as familiar with Dr Jones as I am with the Daily Fail's distortions and lies.

If you are willing to accept Dr. Jones' opinion on this issue, I'm perfectly willing to consider them as well, so long as we look at the words he actually said in the context of how he said them and how he clarified and expanded upon them when questioned about them.

BBC News - Q&A: Professor Phil Jones
(though the whole interview is important for context - the specific question and initial response was:)
“Question: Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically-significant global warming

Answer: Yes, but only just. I also calculated the trend for the period 1995 to 2009. This trend (0.12C per decade) is positive, but not significant at the 95% significance level. The positive trend is quite close to the significance level. Achieving statistical significance in scientific terms is much more likely for longer periods, and much less likely for shorter periods.”

Though I don't do blogs, and generally eschew youtube presentations for similar reasons, here is a youtube explanation that is (from my perspective) surprizingly cogent and well put.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PWDFzWt-Ag]8a. Climate Change - Phil Jones and the 'no warming for 15 years' - YouTube[/ame]

From 1994 to 2009, the warming trend in the HadCRUT dataset was statistically significant at the 95% confidence interval (CI). 95% CI - is simply a commonly-used interval in scientific research (statistically identifying data that falls within two standard deviations of the mean), it is not any sort of cut and dried or intrinsic determinant. Anecdotally, the HadCRUT 1995-2009 trend was statistically significant at a 93% confidence level.

Forum List

Back