Sumatran rhinos likely to become extinct, conservationists warn

David_42

Registered Democrat.
Aug 9, 2015
It's very sad, but I can't say I didn't see this coming.. More evidence of the sixth great extinction..
Earth’s last remaining Sumatran rhinos are edging perilously close to extinction, according to one of the world’s top conservation bodies.

There are fewer than 100 of the animals left in the rainforests of the Indonesian island of Sumatra and the Kalimantan province of Borneo. The last Sumatran rhino (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) in Malaysia was spotted two years ago in the Sabah region of Borneo but experts last month declared the species extinct in that country.

That has prompted the International Union for the Conservation of Nature to sound the alarm over the species’ fate, which it said is headed for extinction if urgent action is not taken.

“It takes the rhino down to a single country,” said Simon Stuart, chair of the IUCN’s species survival commission. “With the ongoing poaching crisis, escalating population decline and destruction of suitable habitat, extinction of the Sumatran rhino in the near future is becoming increasingly likely.”

The rhino is the smallest of the three Asian rhino species – there are also just 57 Javan rhinos (Rhinoceros sondaicus) and more than 3,000 Indian rhinos (Rhinoceros unicornis). The population of the Sumatran species is believed to have halved in the last decade.

The last official assessment in 2008 put their number at about 250 but Stuart said, with hindsight, the true number then had probably been about 200. Poachers kill the rhinos for their horn, which is even more valuable than that of African rhinos.

I will never understand the ridiculous bullshit you loons use. Do you honestly believe cherry picked solar plants and wind farms are having a significant effect on avian populations when compared to plastic in the ocean? Industrial waste? Chemical waste? Air pollution? Oil spills? More ridiculous shit from the right.

Wind Turbines Kill More Birds Than BP Oil Spill

Read more: Wind Turbines Kill More Birds Than BP Oil Spill

:slap:

"Ridiculous bullshit" is the Environazis assigning an acceptable risk to practices and processes that only they endorse.
I mentioned more then oil spills, funny you ignored it.. Regardless, the effects of wind turbines are so minimal on endangered species.

It's very sad, but I can't say I didn't see this coming.. More evidence of the sixth great extinction..
Earth’s last remaining Sumatran rhinos are edging perilously close to extinction, according to one of the world’s top conservation bodies.

There are fewer than 100 of the animals left in the rainforests of the Indonesian island of Sumatra and the Kalimantan province of Borneo. The last Sumatran rhino (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) in Malaysia was spotted two years ago in the Sabah region of Borneo but experts last month declared the species extinct in that country.

That has prompted the International Union for the Conservation of Nature to sound the alarm over the species’ fate, which it said is headed for extinction if urgent action is not taken.

“It takes the rhino down to a single country,” said Simon Stuart, chair of the IUCN’s species survival commission. “With the ongoing poaching crisis, escalating population decline and destruction of suitable habitat, extinction of the Sumatran rhino in the near future is becoming increasingly likely.”

The rhino is the smallest of the three Asian rhino species – there are also just 57 Javan rhinos (Rhinoceros sondaicus) and more than 3,000 Indian rhinos (Rhinoceros unicornis). The population of the Sumatran species is believed to have halved in the last decade.

The last official assessment in 2008 put their number at about 250 but Stuart said, with hindsight, the true number then had probably been about 200. Poachers kill the rhinos for their horn, which is even more valuable than that of African rhinos.

More than 90% of all the critters that have EVER been on this planet are extinct. Imagine that. All without mans terrible influence. Here's the deal skippy, life is hard. Very, very hard. Most critters don't make it. But, what is truly astonishing is this belief in this so called 6th "extinction event" which is ludicrous given the fact that THOUSANDS of new species are discovered every year. The "6th extinction event" horse shit is propaganda designed to separate money from the poor and middle class, and give it to the wealthy under the claim of climate change control.

Wind Turbines Kill More Birds Than BP Oil Spill

Read more: Wind Turbines Kill More Birds Than BP Oil Spill

:slap:

"Ridiculous bullshit" is the Environazis assigning an acceptable risk to practices and processes that only they endorse.
I mentioned more then oil spills, funny you ignored it.. Regardless, the effects of wind turbines are so minimal on endangered species.
That's exactly my point. You consider it "acceptable".

Major energy sources and percent share of total U.S. electricity generation in 2014:

• Coal = 39%
  • Natural gas = 27%
  • Nuclear = 19%
  • Hydropower = 6%
  • Other renewables = 7%
    • Biomass = 1.7%
    • Geothermal = 0.4%
    • Solar = 0.4%
    • Wind = 4.4%
  • Petroleum = 1%
  • Other gases < 1%
What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

And your kind wants to "grow" renewables? :dunno:
To what level? 10%? 20%? 50%?

And if those levels are achieved, what will be the effect on avian populations?

Be honest now...

More than 90% of all the critters that have EVER been on this planet are extinct. Imagine that. All without mans terrible influence. Here's the deal skippy, life is hard. Very, very hard. Most critters don't make it. But, what is truly astonishing is this belief in this so called 6th "extinction event" which is ludicrous given the fact that THOUSANDS of new species are discovered every year. The "6th extinction event" horse shit is propaganda designed to separate money from the poor and middle class, and give it to the wealthy under the claim of climate change control.
No shit, the earth is billions of years old with various extinctions occurring, the human influence is unnatural and the discovery of tiny bacteria/insects isn't really relevant to the actual picture: mammals, etc.. Then again, people on an Internet board aren't who I turn to for an analysis, I'll listen to verified scientists.

20110528_WOC974_960.jpg

Remind me again how hydrocarbons are destroying the planet? :lol:

No shit, the earth is billions of years old with various extinctions occurring, the human influence is unnatural and the discovery of tiny bacteria/insects isn't really relevant to the actual picture: mammals, etc.. Then again, people on an Internet board aren't who I turn to for an analysis, I'll listen to verified scientists.

Bull puckey. There are more creatures being discovered every year. There is no "extinction event" going on. And yes. I will trust the opinion of a biologist over a climatologist any fucking day of the week. Climatologists are to science what charlatans are to real people....

Scientists discovered 18,000 new species last year, including a 'chicken from hell'

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Some 18,000 species, great and small, were discovered in 2014, adding to the 2 million already known, scientists said on Thursday, as they released a "Top 10" list that highlights the diversity of life.

The 10 are "a reminder of the wonders awaiting us," said Quentin Wheeler, president of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, which issues the list. An estimated 10 million species are still unknown to science.

'Top 10' new species includes cartwheeling spider, 'chicken from hell'

Bull puckey. There are more creatures being discovered every year. There is no "extinction event" going on. And yes. I will trust the opinion of a biologist over a climatologist any fucking day of the week. Climatologists are to science what charlatans are to real people....

Scientists discovered 18,000 new species last year, including a 'chicken from hell'

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Some 18,000 species, great and small, were discovered in 2014, adding to the 2 million already known, scientists said on Thursday, as they released a "Top 10" list that highlights the diversity of life.

The 10 are "a reminder of the wonders awaiting us," said Quentin Wheeler, president of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, which issues the list. An estimated 10 million species are still unknown to science.

There is an extinction event occurring, we sre driving it. Ah, so some self proclaimed genius on the internet knows more then climate scientists. No. Sorry. Out of those 18,000, how many weren't insects or tiny organisms? That's the point here.

There is an extinction event occurring, we sre driving it. Ah, so some self proclaimed genius on the internet knows more then climate scientists. No. Sorry. Out of those 18,000, how many weren't insects or tiny organisms? That's the point here.

Bull crap. List off all of the proven animals that have gone extinct over the last two hundred years.

Bull crap. List off all of the proven animals that have gone extinct over the last two hundred years.
Why so specific?
Scientists Build Case for 'Sixth Extinction' ... and Say It Could Kill Us
Read this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Sixth-Extinction-Unnatural-History/dp/0805092994&tag=ff0d01-20

Why so specific?
Scientists Build Case for 'Sixth Extinction' ... and Say It Could Kill Us
Read this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Sixth-Extinction-Unnatural-History/dp/0805092994&tag=ff0d01-20

oooooooh, it could "kill us". The problem with boys who cry wolf is thinking people figure out they're full of poo. Anyone who constantly bleats about how this or that is going to kill us, is relying on your innate stupidity to fool you. Idiots have been proclaiming the end is nigh for as long as their has been religion. They have ALL been wrong.

Congrats, you've been fooled yet again.
The-End-is-Nigh-2012.jpg

Westwall,

We should do everything in our power to protect the animal kingdom as we're part of that food chain. We shouldn't want to pollute and wipe out entire species.

We must keep the national parks and regulations in order to do this....

Last edited:

"Here's the deal...life is hard." What a fucking ridiculous comment. Something out of the mouth of a pathetically uninformed individual.

Here, this is something middle schoolers learn about.
Why Biodiversity And The Interconnected Web of Life Are Important | The Blue Dot Post

The fact that species have become extinct in the past is not an excuse or reason for the impact of human culture and technology to destroy more, within, btw, a much shorter and unnatural span of time than past species have become extinct.

Brushing off the significance of a species becoming extinct is the behavior of someone with a very limited global perspective.

Forum List

Back