Subs switching to 24 hour day

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
Navy OKs changes for submariners' sleep schedules

I know what you're thinking, there's 24 hours in a day.

You Are Wrong You civvie Scum!

There's 18 hours in a Submarine day!

:lol:

And if you think that sucks? Well we can make it worse!!

:D

No really, thank god for this effort. I know there's not enough people on board to keep it up for everyone, having stood port and starboard and a port and report once. but it will definatly improve some moral.

There are no days under water. It must be similar to working on the space station. I hope the new regulations give Sub skippers more freedom to regulate work schedules and it isn't some psycho-babble that fat assed arm chair skippers invented.

There are no days under water. It must be similar to working on the space station. I hope the new regulations give Sub skippers more freedom to regulate work schedules and it isn't some psycho-babble that fat assed arm chair skippers invented.

could be.

on my boat we went from 'rig for red' to 'rig for blue' to 'rig for grey' in about a 4 month time frame.

wonder how meals changed? used to get chow 4 times a day. breakfast, lunch, dinner and mid rats. If we were good boys and ate all the dinner food we got the best ravioli ever. Honest, most of the food sucked, but the midrats ravioli was awesome

oh, space stations have windows, boats dont

What about those screen doors?

we discovered that they let water into the people tank and that that is bad.

oh, space stations have windows, boats dont

When I was a kid watching all those WWII movies about sub warfare I wanted to be on one of those subs. I even wrote the Navy recruiters at 12 to see about signing on, but,,I did get flyer in the mail for years showing me about the Navy. I ended up joining the Army, why? I started getting cold feet about being in the ocean and sinking...

Heard the argument back when subs and sweeps were stationed in Charleston. I never heard of a chief who had punched out the CO as a 1st in hopes of getting duty on sweeps instead of subs. My division chief had done the exact opposite on Fidelity MSO-443. I observed an annualized 8% disability rate before I found a guy on another ship that was being decommissioned to get off that duty. It only worked, if memory serves, because the guy's wife was from Charleston and he had only a little over the minimum time on his hitch for a transfer rather than a early discharge. He wanted to be less than the minimum time left end when Fido was decommissioned.

When I was a kid watching all those WWII movies about sub warfare I wanted to be on one of those subs. I even wrote the Navy recruiters at 12 to see about signing on, but,,I did get flyer in the mail for years showing me about the Navy. I ended up joining the Army, why? I started getting cold feet about being in the ocean and sinking...
ships sink, subs submerge

The natural (well sorta) state for a boat is underwater we move faster and are much quieter, thus far more deadly

Heard the argument back when subs and sweeps were stationed in Charleston. I never heard of a chief who had punched out the CO as a 1st in hopes of getting duty on sweeps instead of subs. My division chief had done the exact opposite on Fidelity MSO-443. I observed an annualized 8% disability rate before I found a guy on another ship that was being decommissioned to get off that duty. It only worked, if memory serves, because the guy's wife was from Charleston and he had only a little over the minimum time on his hitch for a transfer rather than a early discharge. He wanted to be less than the minimum time left end when Fido was decommissioned.

not sure what you are talking about.

when I was in, the only surface ship a sub sailor could be on was a sub tender (repair/supply ship)

and east coast subs were only in Groton and Norfolk

Try "fleet Tacitcs" naval Institute Press uses some of the most polite phrases I have ever seen to call the brass balless bozoes on mine warfare.

I always admired Sub sailors. As a FMF Marine I spent about 30 days aboard the old Boxer when it was LPH 4. As I recall you could finish breakfast and get in the lunch chow line. The best meals at sea were aboard an LST the USS De Soto County.

could be.

on my boat we went from 'rig for red' to 'rig for blue' to 'rig for grey' in about a 4 month time frame.

wonder how meals changed? used to get chow 4 times a day. breakfast, lunch, dinner and mid rats. If we were good boys and ate all the dinner food we got the best ravioli ever. Honest, most of the food sucked, but the midrats ravioli was awesome

Really? I was on the USS James Madison, SSBN 627. And the food was great all the time. We had a baker who could make these yeast rolls from HEAVEN!

Yeah, the 18 hr day took some adjustment. But you got used to it pretty quick. Besides, being on a "Boomer" meant I basically had 30 days off every 6 months.

The natural (well sorta) state for a boat is underwater we move faster and are much quieter, thus far more deadly

The skimmers can't hit what they can't find.

when I was in, the only surface ship a sub sailor could be on was a sub tender (repair/supply ship)

Not sure when you were in. Charleston was a submarine base when I was in the Navy, and that was in the early 80s. Kings Bay GA was our refit port.

And I transfered from a submarine to a supply ship. As long as your rating was needed, we could go anywhere. I do remember thinking the surface fleet shipboard training was a cake walk after having earned my dolphins.

could be.

Really? I was on the USS James Madison, SSBN 627. And the food was great all the time. We had a baker who could make these yeast rolls from HEAVEN!

Yeah, the 18 hr day took some adjustment. But you got used to it pretty quick. Besides, being on a "Boomer" meant I basically had 30 days off every 6 months.

boomers are different, you have way more space. When a fast attack deployed, we put #10 cans in all the passage ways and layed boards on top. and we never knew when we were coming into port. A gen idea, but anything could make a change

and being you're a boomer fag, that why I didn't know about Charleston :D

The skimmers can't hit what they can't find.

it was funny listening to them active search for us miles from where we were. it's like they didn't know that told us exactly where they were.

Not sure when you were in. Charleston was a submarine base when I was in the Navy, and that was in the early 80s. Kings Bay GA was our refit port.

And I transfered from a submarine to a supply ship. As long as your rating was needed, we could go anywhere. I do remember thinking the surface fleet shipboard training was a cake walk after having earned my dolphins.

late 80's. subs or tenders were the only choice.

and yea, skimmer training was comical compared to earning your dolphins.

2nd shipmate to congratulate me put the pins through the back

could be.

boomers are different, you have way more space. When a fast attack deployed, we put #10 cans in all the passage ways and layed boards on top. and we never knew when we were coming into port. A gen idea, but anything could make a change

and being you're a boomer fag, that why I didn't know about Charleston :D

Yeah, keep trying to sound funny about the Boomers. But the fact is that my boat had more fire power on it than the sum total of all the fast attack boats in the Navy.

Oh, and try and find us? LMAO!! We could hear y'all coming a mile away. You couldn't find us if we were right under you. Ask the CO of the USS America (in 1981). We were doing standard ops in the Atlantic and the carrier group came up over us. Our CO had us come to periscope depth in the America's wake, snap a picture, and dive deep & silent. They never knew we were there. Our old man sent the pic to the America's CO with the word "Gotcha" written on it.

The funniest part? They were running submarine search ops at the time. :lol:

late 80's. subs or tenders were the only choice.

and yea, skimmer training was comical compared to earning your dolphins.

2nd shipmate to congratulate me put the pins through the back

I earned my dolphins when I was 20 years old. I am 54 now and you can still see two small scars where I got mine "tacked on" before I could get away and bend the pins flat.

Forum List

Back