Stuy: few companies actually gettinng busted for hiring illegals

I'd be very curious to learn which companies and where they are getting nailed.

The illegal in my community just sold his business and went underground recently. . . . .

Study: Few Companies Actually Getting Busted for Hiring Illegals
A new study finds that, despite a record-setting number of immigrants illegally entering the country, relatively few employers are prosecuted for hiring undocumented aliens.

As if this is a surprise............. Imagine what made it in during Obama.
The reason is twofold. First, the E-verify system used to check work permits and citizenship is not kept up today, and employers are not required to use it. Second, the penalties for hiring illegal immigrants is too low. Lastly, since most of people that hire illegal immigrants are small businesses, it's very difficult to arrest them.

It was one of my pet hates (and still is) that companies hiring illegals KNOWINGLY get away with it. They should be made to pay all back wages TO THE ILLEGAL, any taxes and for the cost of relocating them back to their home town wherever. Any illegal caught a second time? Free board and food at a state run facility producing number plates at 10c per hour.

Variations on this theme will be listened to enthusiastically. lol

Greg

It was one of my pet hates (and still is) that companies hiring illegals KNOWINGLY get away with it. They should be made to pay all back wages TO THE ILLEGAL, any taxes and for the cost of relocating them back to their home town wherever. Any illegal caught a second time? Free board and food at a state run facility producing number plates at 10c per hour.

Greg
I don't know this for fact but I suspect many small companies hire people without knowing their status because they really don't want to know. They need help and they can't afford to pay higher wages so they just take a chance, particularly when it's seasonal or temporary work.

Greg

The reason a lot of them don't get tagged is because SSA and the IRS like the extra money that is actually paid in that they don't have to give back

Greg

The reason a lot of them don't get tagged is because SSA and the IRS like the extra money that is actually paid in that they don't have to give back
There is no law that requires an employee to provide a social security card to their employer. Illegal immigrants just give the employer a 9 digit number or a valid number of someone they know. When the S.S. receives the funds, they credit the money to the reported social security number account. They have no way of knowing whether the person is illegal or it's just a clerical error. Reporting funds with the wrong S.S. number is common.

Since the law requires that the employer only file the information quarterly, by the time Social Security processes the information and refers it someone to investigate, there's a good chance the employee would have moved on.

Greg

There is no law that requires an employee to provide a social security card to their employer. Illegal immigrants just give the employer a 9 digit number or a valid number of someone they know. When the S.S. receives the funds, they credit the money to the reported social security number account. They have no way of knowing whether the person is illegal or it's just a clerical error. Reporting funds with the wrong S.S. number is common.

Since the law requires that the employer only file the information quarterly, by the time Social Security processes the information and refers it someone to investigate, there's a good chance the employee would have moved on.

I never said or implied that an employer issues social security cards. I guess I assumed most American posters know where they got their SScard LOL. I had an employer misreport my SSN to the SSA one time. Funny thing was it was like 3 years later the SSA got around to contacting me to see if that was supposed to be my contribution.

Greg
I don't know this for fact but I suspect many small companies hire people without knowing their status because they really don't want to know. They need help and they can't afford to pay higher wages so they just take a chance, particularly when it's seasonal or temporary work.

That is part. There's a reason such a high percentage of farmers and food manufacturing doesn't use E-verify. A reason in the hotel industry it is rarely used (Put it this way, Trumps business disclosures... Still less than half are on the E-verify page as participating).

The problem is going after them while it may solve the problem (at least according to the Border Control), it isn't a popular idea. No politician R or D wants to do something that will screw over middle America. So there's a blind eye, and instead we focus on blowing money on things the Border Control says won't work and isn't the problem but at least is big and tangible and newsworthy.

Greg

I never said or implied that an employer issues social security cards. I guess I assumed most American posters know where they got their SScard LOL. I had an employer misreport my SSN to the SSA one time. Funny thing was it was like 3 years later the SSA got around to contacting me to see if that was supposed to be my contribution.
Neither did I. Read my post

Forum List

Back