Stupid laws ruin lives

Jesus!

Read the Touching Birthday Letter Sent on Balloons to a Brother in ‘Heaven’ and Found by a Stranger

Yeah, the balloons are not Mylar, so what. That guy in Florida being charged with a felony is pure stupidity! That Cop could have given the guy a warning and done just as much good but oh no, a felony arrest looks good on the Cops employment record. Who cares if he ruins a guy's life when the Cop can be a look good motherfucker. There are way to many Cops that are disgusting human beings.

Read the Touching Birthday Letter Sent on Balloons to a Brother in ?Heaven? and Found by a Stranger | TheBlaze.com

Nice sentiment, moronic move. The balloon guy should have known the laws before he decided to act. Moreover, at 40 years old a dinner and show may have gone a long way in the romance department.

Not only stupid, but cheap. Now he can spend his money on a lawyer the cheap bastard....he has his remedies at law and will be able to defend himself at trial.

Why should he know the laws? There are, quite literally, thousands of laws already on the books, and state legislatures and Congress pass more of them every day because idiots think that is their job. There is no way anyone can possibly know all the laws, so any argument that they should is based on the assumption that laws make sense.

He should know the law for the same reason you or I should know the law. A good example is the rules of this forum. Should we break those rules/laws we will be subjected to a consequence. The law is in place for the protection of the status quo or the prohibition of an activity that may cause another harm.

Nice sentiment, moronic move. The balloon guy should have known the laws before he decided to act. Moreover, at 40 years old a dinner and show may have gone a long way in the romance department.

Not only stupid, but cheap. Now he can spend his money on a lawyer the cheap bastard....he has his remedies at law and will be able to defend himself at trial.

Why should he know the laws? There are, quite literally, thousands of laws already on the books, and state legislatures and Congress pass more of them every day because idiots think that is their job. There is no way anyone can possibly know all the laws, so any argument that they should is based on the assumption that laws make sense.

He should know the law for the same reason you or I should know the law. A good example is the rules of this forum. Should we break those rules/laws we will be subjected to a consequence. The law is in place for the protection of the status quo or the prohibition of an activity that may cause another harm.

The rules for this forum can all be written on a single page, as I already explained, there are literally thousands of laws. Lawyers go to school for years, and then take state specific bar exams, and still don't know all the laws. It is impossible for one person to know all the laws that apply to him, and everyone in this country is guilty of committing at least three felonies every day.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594035229]Amazon.com: Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent (9781594035227): Harvey Silverglate: Books[/ame]

Since you don't know the laws you are breaking every day your insistence on holding another person to a standard you, personally, break is, at best, ignorant. Tell me one more time that he should know the laws simply because you are too stupid to realize that you are breaking laws and it will cross into blatant hypocrisy because you are saying you are above the law.

Releasing balloons shouldn't be a felony, however he should have looked into the law beforehand.

How many people would it even enter the mind of?

Idk *shrug* , I knew before QW posted this story that, in my city ,you need a permit to release balloons.

My guess is that the permit requirement does not apply to someone releasing a couple of balloons, it only applies if it is part of a larger demonstration.

The rules for this forum can all be written on a single page, as I already explained, there are literally thousands of laws. Lawyers go to school for years, and then take state specific bar exams, and still don't know all the laws. It is impossible for one person to know all the laws that apply to him, and everyone in this country is guilty of committing at least three felonies every day.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594035229]Amazon.com: Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent (9781594035227): Harvey Silverglate: Books[/ame]

Since you don't know the laws you are breaking every day your insistence on holding another person to a standard you, personally, break is, at best, ignorant. Tell me one more time that he should know the laws simply because you are too stupid to realize that you are breaking laws and it will cross into blatant hypocrisy because you are saying you are above the law.

There are two elements for a crime in this isolated situation a felony. Mens Rea and Actus Reas. The state is required to prove both. If they do not then they have not met there burden the person would be exculpated. The guy is going to be free as a jailbird so he can set up another cheapo date with his girlfriend.

Mens rea
: To be guilty of most crimes, a defendant must have committed the criminal act in a certain mental state (the mens rea). The mens rea of robbery, for example, is the intent to permanently deprive the owner of his property.

Actus Reus: The actus reus is the act which, in combination with a certain mental state, such as intent or recklessness, constitutes a crime.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonies-Day-Target-Innocent/dp/1594035229"]Amazon.com: Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent (9781594035227): Harvey Silverglate: Books[/ame]

There are two elements for a crime in this isolated situation a felony. Mens Rea and Actus Reas. The state is required to prove both. If they do not then they have not met there burden the person would be exculpated. The guy is going to be free as a jailbird so he can set up another cheapo date with his girlfriend.

Mens rea
: To be guilty of most crimes, a defendant must have committed the criminal act in a certain mental state (the mens rea). The mens rea of robbery, for example, is the intent to permanently deprive the owner of his property.

Actus Reus: The actus reus is the act which, in combination with a certain mental state, such as intent or recklessness, constitutes a crime.

Are you trying to compound your ignorance here?

Mens rea | Environmental Law Reporter

By the way, how can you argue on one hand that he should have known it was illegal, and then come back and argue that, because he did not know it was illegal, it wasn't a crime?

Amazon.com: Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent (9781594035227): Harvey Silverglate: Books

Mens rea

By the way, how can you argue on one hand that he should have known it was illegal, and then come back and argue that, because he did not know it was illegal, it wasn't a crime?

Is this the crime the person was charged with?

Mens rea

Go soak your head in urine and tell me how it feels.

My problem with it is that it is felony. Now the guy has his rights and job opportunities severely limited for the rest of his life. A written warning or an infraction would have been sufficient.

My problem with it is that it is felony. Now the guy has his rights and job opportunities severely limited for the rest of his life. A written warning or an infraction would have been sufficient.

The Cop knows that and could have used better judgement then to burn this guy as bad as he did over damn near nothing.

The Cop knows that and could have used better judgement then to burn this guy as bad as he did over damn near nothing.

I agree with this the cop should have used better judgement.

:lol:

When you provide the exact charge together with the statute which this man is accused of violating then we can have a more accurate discussion.

I never would have worried about power lines. *shrug*

Releasing balloons shouldn't be a felony, however he should have looked into the law beforehand. Perhaps bought the power line friendly type.

Really Amy... Has it gotten to the point were we must check the legality of everything we do? I don't agree. Nobody needs to slap a fine on a ten year old that either accidentally, or intentionally releases a helium balloon at their own birthday party. My Gawd... People are going NUTS.

Brasfield was charged with polluting to harm humans, animals, plants, etc. under the Florida Air and Water Pollution Control Act.

There’s nothing ‘stupid’ about this law. And ignorance of the law is no excuse.

There’s also no reason to assume the trooper did not act in good faith.

Brasfield will likely end up with only a fine, if not dropped altogether.

Laws don't happen in a vacuum. We let them happen and then we complain about it. No surprises. The funny thing is that apparently they are allowed to sell helium balloons but it becomes a crime when you let go of the string. I wonder if any "real" crimes happened in the area while the Trooper was busy with the balloon crime spree.

This is what happens when a law gets passed to deal with a single rare incident. Mylar balloons are dangerous if they get into a power line. But 999 of 1,000 balloons won't get into power lines. It's like the guy playing with his cat chasing a laser pointer. If that beam strays up into the sky it's prosecution by homeland security not the local cops.

:lol:

When you provide the exact charge together with the statute which this man is accused of violating then we can have a more accurate discussion.

You are the one that brought up mens rae after you said he should have know, yet you can't explain why you hold two opposing points of view about the same law.

Brasfield was charged with polluting to harm humans, animals, plants, etc. under the Florida Air and Water Pollution Control Act.
There’s nothing ‘stupid’ about this law. And ignorance of the law is no excuse.

There’s also no reason to assume the trooper did not act in good faith.

Brasfield will likely end up with only a fine, if not dropped altogether.

Everything about the law is stupid, and he will always have a felony arrest on his record no matter that the final disposition is.

Forum List

Back