Study finds electric cars worse for enviroment

From the retarded 'junk science' site you linked to...

"It seems EVs are only cleaner if powered by a “clean energy” source."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.......well - DUH!

How retarded do you have to be to not understand that fact in the first place.

Of course electricity coming from coal fired power plants is 'dirty'. Coal is the most polluting source of energy.

The anti-science douche-bag who spews 'junk science' (quite literally) tries to distort the scientific study by twisting the results to supposedly indicate that "electric cars cause much more overall harmful particulate matter pollution than gasoline cars" but that is a lie as it stands. To be correct, it should read: 'electric cars can cause much more overall harmful particulate matter pollution than gasoline cars if the electricity comes from coal fired power plants but electric cars can also cause almost zero harmful pollution if the electricity comes from non-polluting renewable sources like solar and wind energy'.

Absurd, ridiculous distortions of fact like this are the reason Malloy's site is truly 'junk' science.

double standards again. I didnt read the OP article but I assume it found that chinese electric cars are powered by electricity from coal fire plants and therefore they are responsible for that fraction of pollution. reality. why do you think it is OK to compare fairytale solutions under nonexistent perfect conditions to reality based observations? why are possible doomsday scenarios with little chance of coming to pass so much more important to you that actual day-to-day observations? warmists always seem to think their explanations of evidence that is equivical is more intelligent than other explanations that dont draw catastrophic conclusions. even though their predictions are wrong time after time. there is a lot of junk science in climate science and most of it is CAGW agenda driven.
Why do you find it necessary to respond to a post about an article that you didn't even read? Can we say, "Jumping to conclusions"? Right or wrong, you should read the original article before jumping on the poster.

OK, I read it. same old story of how an electric car is only as clean as the power it is being run on. and the materials it is built with. wind and solar are no panacea and they are not scaleable to our needs, and they have undesirable side effects that many people choose to ignore.

how is that jumping to conclusions?

From the retarded 'junk science' site you linked to...

"It seems EVs are only cleaner if powered by a “clean energy” source."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.......well - DUH!

How retarded do you have to be to not understand that fact in the first place.

Of course electricity coming from coal fired power plants is 'dirty'. Coal is the most polluting source of energy.

The anti-science douche-bag who spews 'junk science' (quite literally) tries to distort the scientific study by twisting the results to supposedly indicate that "electric cars cause much more overall harmful particulate matter pollution than gasoline cars" but that is a lie as it stands. To be correct, it should read: 'electric cars can cause much more overall harmful particulate matter pollution than gasoline cars if the electricity comes from coal fired power plants but electric cars can also cause almost zero harmful pollution if the electricity comes from non-polluting renewable sources like solar and wind energy'.

Absurd, ridiculous distortions of fact like this are the reason Malloy's site is truly 'junk' science.

double standards again. I didnt read the OP article but I assume it found that chinese electric cars are powered by electricity from coal fire plants and therefore they are responsible for that fraction of pollution. reality. why do you think it is OK to compare fairytale solutions under nonexistent perfect conditions to reality based observations? why are possible doomsday scenarios with little chance of coming to pass so much more important to you that actual day-to-day observations? warmists always seem to think their explanations of evidence that is equivical is more intelligent than other explanations that dont draw catastrophic conclusions. even though their predictions are wrong time after time. there is a lot of junk science in climate science and most of it is CAGW agenda driven.

Oh lordie, more delusional garbage from someone too retarded to bother learning anything about this subject or even bothering to read the OP. LOL. So tell everybody, little clueless retard, just what are these "fairytale solutions under nonexistent perfect conditions" that you're talking about there? Driving electric vehicles using only solar and wind power? Something that is actually being done in many places around the world right now? That's what you're talking about? LOLOL. Just as an example close to home, there are a growing number of people here in California right now who have solar panels on their garages and/or homes that supply all of the power their electric vehicle needs for daily use. In many areas, a combination of home solar pv and wind generators can give ordinary people real energy independence in their homes as well as their cars. Why are you supposedly 'fiercely independent conservatives' so opposed to that? Do you not crave freedom from the centralized control of grid power and constantly rising prices? Do you like paying a big part of our national income to foreign nations who don't much like us?

Solar power for the home is dropping in price and increasing in efficiency. New developments abound.

Small scale wind power for the home is developing at an extraordinary rate as well. Several recent advances promise to increase the efficiency and lower the cost of wind energy. Here's one fairly new one for the home that can draw energy from very low wind speeds. There's some neat video evidence for that claim [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko-_zAXNvYk&feature=player_embedded"]here[/ame].

New Honeywell Wind Turbine Coming to Hardware Stores, Rooftops Near You
New gearless wind turbine from WindTronics and Honeywell said to generate electricity at one-third the cost per kWh of any other wind turbine.

February 1, 2010
(excerpts)

windtronics_roof.jpg
The Honeywell Wind Turbine is lighter and quieter than turbines of comparable size. (Image: Windtronics)

The fan-like Honewywell WT6500 wind turbine can generate about 2,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity annually for a home with a strong wind resource; and up to 2,700 kWh for a location with a strong (class 4) wind resource. Depending on wind speed and energy use, a single unit can be expected to generate up to 20 percent of the annual electricity for the average American home.

But what sets the Honeywell Wind Turbine apart from others of similar size is that it starts spinning at winds of just 1 mph and generating electricity at 2 mph; generating power in low wind conditions, when others do not. In fact, Michigan-based WindTronics say it generates electricity at one-third the cost per kWh of any other wind turbine (in both class and size). A gearless turbine harnesses energy from the tips of the turbine blades, where they are moving the fastest. The low-vibrational impact of the gearless wind turbine means that the 95-pound, 6-foot diameter unit can be mounted on a pole, a rooftop, or even attached to a chimney .

20% of average annual electricity? Try less than 10% in strong wind.

Let's put some home use numbers on the 2000 KW-H unit. 2000 KW-H/8760 hours per year give an average power of 230W full time. If you're careful with your usage this could be a significant supplement to your usage but not quite enough to run your house on.

Let's put some home use numbers on the 2000 KW-H unit. 2000 KW-H/8760 hours per year give an average power of 230W full time. If you're careful with your usage this could be a significant supplement to your usage but not quite enough to run your house on.

:cuckoo: :lol: The wind only blows in democrat web posting fairy-tails 24/7/365=8760 hours per year. :lol: :cuckoo:

At the rest of our homes the wind only blows about 25% of the time. Notice how these small wind device scams never provide the EROEI. How much energy was consumed in the manufacturing, life & recycling of this device & its necessary regulator, power inverter components? What is the average productive lifetime of this device?

Report: Electric cars worse for environment | JunkScience.com

"Chris Cherry, assistant professor in civil and environmental engineering, and graduate student Shuguang Ji, analyzed the emissions and environmental health impacts of five vehicle technologies in 34 major Chinese cities, focusing on dangerous fine particles. What Cherry and his team found defies conventional logic: electric cars cause much more overall harmful particulate matter pollution than gasoline cars."

But the electricity is produced in a power plant miles out of town were people dont have to directly breath the air and can be contained using carbon capture or replaced by renuables. I dont give a hoot about global warming claims anyway im more concerned with air quality. what would you rather have one massive power plant pumping pollution into the air out of town, or thousands of little powerplants driving around the same streets you walk and live on.

I didnt read the OP article but I assume
Why do you find it necessary to respond to a post about an article that you didn't even read? Can we say, "Jumping to conclusions"? Right or wrong, you should read the original article before jumping on the poster.
OK, I read it. same old story of how an electric car is only as clean as the power it is being run on
Both true and so obvious, it's hardly worth mentioning. Why call the facts the "same old story"? What do you imagine that means?

wind and solar are no panacea and they are not scaleable to our needs, and they have undesirable side effects that many people choose to ignore.
Wrong. Just more of your crazy unsupported denier cult myths. Solar and wind are quite viable as alternatives to our current energy sources and they are indeed easily "scalable". Here's a good recent study on just how to do it.

A Plan to Power 100 Percent of the Planet with Renewables
Wind, water and solar technologies can provide 100 percent of the world's energy, eliminating all fossil fuels. Here's how

By Mark Z. Jacobson and Mark A. Delucchi
Scientific American
October 26, 2009

Steve baby, gonna shut you down!

Welcome to Plasma Boy Racing, home of White Zombie, the world's quickest street legal electric door slammer in the 1/4 mile drag.

Welcome to the White Zombie History page. From it's humble beginning back in 1994 to today's low 10 second car, everything it took to make Plasma Boy's White Zombie the first street legal electric car to run a 10 second quarter mile, is chronicalled here. You can also view classic videos of White Zombie (and other Plasma Boy EVs) by clicking on the 'Videos' button. The latest and most popular videos of this high powered electric car taking out muscle cars and hot import drag racers, can be viewed on 'Youtube' by searching 'electric drag racing'. For the visual details of the various improvements we've done along the way, click on the 'Photos' button and navigate to 'Plasma Boy's various Electric Vehicles, then the sub album 'White Zombie'.

LOL..........yeah........I just have a crappy 2V DD Mustang that has bolt on's and is a 13 second car.........maybe high 12's with DR's.

Ray......let me tell you something my friend..........if car shows are soon to be attended by all electric cars, I'll be doing some new hobby like star gazing. I think one of the most absurd things I ever saw was an episode of "My Ride Rules" and some guy shows up in a Tesla. He takes the participants for a ride and when he gets to a stop light, he revs his engine...........BY PUSHING A BUTTON which makes an exhaust sound!!!:alcoholic::ack-1::smoke::lame2::wtf:

God bless the White Zombie...........not doing it for me!!:lol:

OK, I read it. same old story of how an electric car is only as clean as the power it is being run on
Both true and so obvious, it's hardly worth mentioning. Why call the facts the "same old story"? What do you imagine that means?

wind and solar are no panacea and they are not scaleable to our needs, and they have undesirable side effects that many people choose to ignore.
Wrong. Just more of your crazy unsupported denier cult myths. Solar and wind are quite viable as alternatives to our current energy sources and they are indeed easily "scalable". Here's a good recent study on just how to do it.

A Plan to Power 100 Percent of the Planet with Renewables
Wind, water and solar technologies can provide 100 percent of the world's energy, eliminating all fossil fuels. Here's how

By Mark Z. Jacobson and Mark A. Delucchi
Scientific American
October 26, 2009

Yup........ahhhhh ( draws toke on ciggy in classic Denis Leary style)

Except you best be planning on living a long, long, long time s0n. By 2030, renewables will only be supplying 7% MAX of the worlds energy needs. I supplied a host of links on this last week............late night at work pwns me. Find them yourself..........:lol:

There are a number of emerging battery technologies that could increase the storage capacity of an automotive battery by an order of magnitude and reduce the cost by the same order. When this happens, the EV will not only be the most practical vehicle, it will also serve as a backup power source for the home in the event of an outage of electrical power.

This technology is going to happen, in spite of the opposition of people who dislike any kind of change, no matter how beneficial.

Electric Cars a Health Hazard in China : Discovery News

Buying an electric car to be green? If you live in China, think twice: The electricity used to power that car comes primarily from coal in China, making the negative impact on health greater for e-cars than traditional, gasoline-powered vehicles, a new study says.

You just made a case against coal

A little bit of reality thrown onto the fantasy of electric car dominance..............

Detroit unsure over the future of green cars

Ford cautions electric car future uncertain - MarketWatch

The Future Of Electric Vehicles: Who? Where? When? How Much? How Many? | The Truth About Cars

http://www.altenergystocks.com/archives/2010/03/will_plugin_vehicles_be_obsolete_before_theyre_profitable.html

Environmentalists discuss this issue with ZERO regard to market considerations.....as if its a non-issue:D:D:D......which almost invariably leads to faulty thinking.:coffee:

But heres the bottom line poop...............it comes down to, for carmakers, whether its gonna be worth building the units to meet the interest of that segment of the driving population that desires these cars. There is a very finite number of people who are keen on these electric cars...........the environmentalists...........obviously. But few others.........most Americans sinmply are not interested. Electric cars are largely a hyper-eco conscious segment fantasy.

You walk 100 people out to look at a new Nissan Leaf. It doesnt take a genius to realize that about 10 out of 100 will love it. Another 10 out of 100 might consider it. But 80 out of 100 wouldnt be caught dead in one. So the question becomes.......is that kind of a market worth continuing to build them for automakers????

Of course, alot of the numb eco-car people think that these automakers are real excited to be building a green car...................

614-4.jpg

The reality is, the people who run these companies couldnt give a flying fuck. Its all about whether or not there is a profitable market out there. If not.......its dead........as the market analysts in my posted links cleverly point out.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back