Study: Environmentally Friendly Lightbulbs Cause Cancer

I was going to take this seriously. But then I read the first line of the OP that said it comes from Breitbart.
Well had you not been so biased, you'd have seen that the story wasn't written by Breitbart.

The study was conducted by Stoney Brook University.

The story was originally reported by CBS Miami, that's where Breitbart found it.

I had a similar conversation with that moron rDean who wouldn't click on a FoxNews link to story FoxNews didn't even write.

by Breitbart News
3 Jan 2013

The federal government is forcing more and more Americans into buying new energy efficient lightbulbs by gradually outlawing incandescent light bulbs, which supposedly waste energy. But a new study shows that eco-friendly lightbulbs may not be human-friendly.

According to a study from Long Island’s Stony Brook University, the lightbulbs give off extraordinary levels of UV radiation, which can burn skin and even cause skin cancer.

Read more:

Breitbart again? :lol:

I was going to take this seriously. But then I read the first line of the OP that said it comes from Breitbart.
Well had you not been so biased, you'd have seen that the story wasn't written by Breitbart.

The story was originally reported by CBS Miami, that's where Breitbart found it.

I had a similar conversation with that moron rDean who wouldn't click on a FoxNews link to story FoxNews didn't even write.

They left out important info, however. In order to find a "bad" bulb they tested ten and chose the worst one. While UV may not be good, the real takeaway is that there's a variation in quality and not all the bulbs are "bad". It may be difficult for the average consumer to tell which ones those are, but to suggest that this is a characteristic of all CFL bulbs is not true. As usual Breitbart has slanted their story and it's only right to point that out. How many slogged through the original paper? Breitbart was assuming most wouldn't and that's why anything they post has to be taken with a rather large grain of salt. Don't y'all do it when someone cites MSNBC?

I read the original CBS story and the Breitbart REALLY truncated the CBS story, leaving out all of the details about how these bulbs really aren't as dangerous as Breitbart said they were.

For example, the danger of your skin being burned. Well yes, if I grab a bulb and hold onto it, my skin will get burned. Of course if I touch an incandescent bulb that has been lit, it will burn my skin instantly if I touch it.

We've been using CFL's for four years and I'll never buy another incandescent bulb again. We've only changed two lightbulbs in the entire house since we switched over and they're the two lights that get switched on and off most frequently. The cost savings has been enormous, and even our air conditioning costs are lower because of reduced heat emittted by these bulbs.

by Breitbart News
3 Jan 2013

The federal government is forcing more and more Americans into buying new energy efficient lightbulbs by gradually outlawing incandescent light bulbs, which supposedly waste energy. But a new study shows that eco-friendly lightbulbs may not be human-friendly.

According to a study from Long Island’s Stony Brook University, the lightbulbs give off extraordinary levels of UV radiation, which can burn skin and even cause skin cancer.

Read more:

We already read about this nearly 6 months ago.
SBU Study Reveals Harmful Effects of CFL Bulbs to Skin

STONY BROOK, NY, July 18, 2012

Did Breitbart not send you a marching order?

The main issue I have with these environment friendly light bulbs is they take to long to warm up making them useless for a closet or laundry room.

The main issue I have with these environment friendly light bulbs is they take to long to warm up making them useless for a closet or laundry room.

Try them for porch lights when the temperature hovers near zero.

It only takes time for them to warm up if the room they're in is cold. The one in our fruit cellar, being the best example.

We have outdoor lights for the porch. I wouldn't ever put one outside. It would be hell in winter.

It only takes time for them to warm up if the room they're in is cold. The one in our fruit cellar, being the best example.

We have outdoor lights for the porch. I wouldn't ever put one outside. It would be hell in winter.

I've noticed the issue in summer also.

Forum List

Back