Study: Environmentally Friendly Lightbulbs Cause Cancer

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012

by Breitbart News
3 Jan 2013

The federal government is forcing more and more Americans into buying new energy efficient lightbulbs by gradually outlawing incandescent light bulbs, which supposedly waste energy. But a new study shows that eco-friendly lightbulbs may not be human-friendly.

According to a study from Long Island’s Stony Brook University, the lightbulbs give off extraordinary levels of UV radiation, which can burn skin and even cause skin cancer.

Read more:

Fluorescents are out. It's LED light bulbs now. They last 50 years.

I have enough of the old bulbs to last my lifetime... A guy's gotta leave a carbon footprint ya know.

everything causes cancer.

And those light bulbs aren't very environmentally friendly despite the claim

You should see the haz-mat instructions if you should accidentally break one of the darned things!

Your post reminded me of this: I took a USCG boating class over the summer, the instructor told us all how if we have a fuel spill (however minor) we are to contact the Dept. of Environmental Conservation immediately... Everyone looked at each other, and I suggested committing suicide would be a far cheaper affair. I wonder how long before that mentality applies to broken light bulbs? :lol:

You should see the haz-mat instructions if you should accidentally break one of the darned things!

Your post reminded me of this: I took a USCG boating class over the summer, the instructor told us all how if we have a fuel spill (however minor) we are to contact the Dept. of Environmental Conservation immediately... Everyone looked at each other, and I suggested committing suicide would be a far cheaper affair. I wonder how long before that mentality applies to broken light bulbs? :lol:

Give it another week...

/sarcasm

We switched over every light fixture in our house to CFL's about 4 years ago. We've only changed two lightbulbs since and our electric consumption dropped by over 1/3. Our house is electrically heated so that was a huge drop for us. Conversely, we also use our air conditioning less in the summer because these bulbs don't heat up the house as much when they're on.

The article posted is from a radical right-wing site which greatly exaggerated the purported danger. It talks about people getting burns from these bulbs. Yes, if you put your hand on the bulb and hold it long enough, you will burn your skin. Of course if you touch an incandescent bulb that's been on for a while, it will burn your skin instantly, so I don't see much difference.

I was going to take this seriously. But then I read the first line of the OP that said it comes from Breitbart.

Got a cite? Ventilating the room and cleaning up the debris while wearing gloves doesn't seem very onerous. You hardly need a hazmat team, if that's what you're implying.

by Breitbart News
3 Jan 2013

The federal government is forcing more and more Americans into buying new energy efficient lightbulbs by gradually outlawing incandescent light bulbs, which supposedly waste energy. But a new study shows that eco-friendly lightbulbs may not be human-friendly.

According to a study from Long Island’s Stony Brook University, the lightbulbs give off extraordinary levels of UV radiation, which can burn skin and even cause skin cancer.

Read more:

Supposedly waste energy? Try a 75% decrease in wattage. That's a HIGHLY SIGNIFICANT savings. Did you read the original article? They had to cherry-pick the bulbs. Their conclusion was that the real danger was from defective or poorly manufactured bulbs.

LED lights are a great idea, but they have to come down more in pricing before they really take off. Bit pricey at this time.

I'd love to see CFL's go away.

They're coming down.

Kobi WARM 25A19
ONLY $5 ea. - 3000K Warm White - 245 Lumens - 25 Watt Equal

1000bulbs.com/product/88667/PLT-A1930K3W-4PK.html?gclid=CIH4rdf3zrQCFQqk4Aod60sA0Q

Disclaimer: Not intended to be an ad.

As with many others, when I heard they were going to ban regular light bulbs I stocked up. But when they're gone, I'll be more than happy to buy LED, even if they are more expensive. I have three LED flashlights, two of which are MAGLITE's, and the brightness of the beam is unbelievable. They're more like a spot light than a flash light. They weren't cheap either, but well worth the money. Haven't replaced the batteries in either of them since I bought them, and there's no sign of brightness fade either. Love 'em, so you bet, I'll buy LED light bulbs. Plan on buying LED lights for my vehicles too. Best thing since sliced bread.

When good lights go bad: LED breakdown

May 11, 2011: last year, Mark Halper wrote that the LED bulbs of quality were costing $40 per bulb, which precludes them from mass marketing. He also noted some industry experts as admitting the sources of information were confusing, because many of the bulbs claiming 25-yeear lifespans were burned out in under a year. Those stories are giving consumers pause. Another expert manufacturer said some aren't holding up, and others are. What is clear is that nobody has actually burned an LED light for 25 years because the technology is a lot more recent than the testing efforts.

The good thing is that the bulbs seem to outlast incandescant bulbs unless their construction is poor quality. And at the time the article was written, no names were being put out there as slackers.

I looked up "LED lights and the eyes". Oh, my aching back. The reviews after glowing page one of no harm claims are anything - no harm to "An LED TV screen ruined my eyes". So it seems the May article from last year is correct. The claims pro and con are opposites - either all good or all bad. No wonder consumers are chary.

And I can't endorse either side.

Forum List

Back