Streaming TV is about to get very expensive – here's why

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Looks like we're about to get screwed again:

As a viewer, you are right to feel queasy. The industry-disrupting success of Netflix means that everybody wants a slice of the pie. Right now, things are just about manageable – if you have a TV licence, a Netflix subscription, an Amazon subscription and a Now TV subscription, you are pretty much covered – but things are about to take a turn for the worse.

In November, Disney will launch Disney+, a streaming platform that will not only block off an enormous amount of existing content (Disney films, ABC shows, Marvel and Pixar films, Lucasfilm, The Simpsons and everything else made by 20th Century Fox), but will also offer a range of new scripted Marvel shows that will directly inform the narrative of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Essentially, if you want to understand anything that happens in any Marvel film from this point onwards, you’ll need to splash out on a Disney+ subscription.

Apple will also be entering the streaming market at about the same time, promising new work from Sofia Coppola, Jennifer Aniston, Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Brie Larson, Damien Chazelle and Steven Spielberg. In the next three years, Apple will spend $4.2bn on original programming, and you won’t get to see any of it if you don’t pay a monthly premium.

And this sucks. Watching television is about to get very, very expensive. There will be a point where viewers are going to hit their tolerance for monthly subscriptions – I may be able to manage one more service, but only if I unsubscribe from an existing platform – meaning that TV will become more elitist, tiered and fragmented than it already is. There’s a huge difference between not being able to watch everything because there’s too much choice and not being able to watch everything because you don’t have enough money.

There's a good and easy way to save money. Don't watch that garbage.

Go read a book.

As a viewer, you are right to feel queasy. The industry-disrupting success of Netflix means that everybody wants a slice of the pie. Right now, things are just about manageable – if you have a TV licence, a Netflix subscription, an Amazon subscription and a Now TV subscription, you are pretty much covered – but things are about to take a turn for the worse.

In November, Disney will launch Disney+, a streaming platform that will not only block off an enormous amount of existing content (Disney films, ABC shows, Marvel and Pixar films, Lucasfilm, The Simpsons and everything else made by 20th Century Fox), but will also offer a range of new scripted Marvel shows that will directly inform the narrative of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Essentially, if you want to understand anything that happens in any Marvel film from this point onwards, you’ll need to splash out on a Disney+ subscription.

Apple will also be entering the streaming market at about the same time, promising new work from Sofia Coppola, Jennifer Aniston, Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Brie Larson, Damien Chazelle and Steven Spielberg. In the next three years, Apple will spend $4.2bn on original programming, and you won’t get to see any of it if you don’t pay a monthly premium.

And this sucks. Watching television is about to get very, very expensive. There will be a point where viewers are going to hit their tolerance for monthly subscriptions – I may be able to manage one more service, but only if I unsubscribe from an existing platform – meaning that TV will become more elitist, tiered and fragmented than it already is. There’s a huge difference between not being able to watch everything because there’s too much choice and not being able to watch everything because you don’t have enough money.

Honestly... I mean.

I knew long ago that the current cheapness of the system was not going to last.

The cost of programs is expensive. That's all there is to it.

So something has to give. Either they gotta find a way to force the commercials back into streams, or the streams have to increase in price.

The real solution I found long ago.... I don't watch that crap. It's amazing how much more money I have, when I'm not blowing it on media crap.

Doesn't matter to me. I get television for free and streaming TV for free. And I have about 2000 select, premium movies, motion pictures, specials, and TV shows of my choice available for free at the touch of a button. Only turkeys pay for television.

How will competition make it more expensive?
Each service is competing with exclusive material. it's not like everyone has the same programs....it's like..how many Marvel fans are out there? They will have to go to one service only...each streaming service will have its own niche..each will be relatively cheap..but how many will the average viewer subscribe to? Disney owns several huge studios....now instead of seeing their films everywhere..only the Disney service will carry them.

Doesn't matter to me. I get television for free and streaming TV for free. And I have about 2000 select, premium movies, motion pictures, specials, and TV shows of my choice available for free at the touch of a button. Only turkeys pay for television.
What night should I come over?

Each service is competing with exclusive material. it's not like everyone has the same programs....it's like..how many Marvel fans are out there? They will have to go to one service only...each streaming service will have its own niche..each will be relatively cheap..but how many will the average viewer subscribe to? Disney owns several huge studios....now instead of seeing their films everywhere..only the Disney service will carry them.

Which is a huge mistake on their part, but time will tell. If you segregate all your content into streaming, you are alienating a huge section of the audience and people will not see it to know if they like it or not or if they do, watch it long enough to become hooked on the shows.

....not to mention they still have to compete with their content being distributed online for free by third party like the I believe now defunct 123movie site. There are always others that replace them as quickly as one can be shut down.

Which is a huge mistake on their part, but time will tell. If you segregate all your content into streaming, you are alienating a huge section of the audience and people will not see it to know if they like it or not or if they do, watch it long enough to become hooked on the shows.

....not to mention they still have to compete with their content being distributed online for free by third party like the I believe now defunct 123movie site. There are always others that replace them as quickly as one can be shut down.

That is actually a really good point. With the death of cable TV, with their expensive 120 channel packages for $150 a month.... People are simply not going to buy subscriptions to every single service.

Which means that many people will not see what shows a different subscription service is offering.

I do see an alternative that could possibly happen. Such as Disney making a contract with Netflix to offer Disney content for an additional monthly fee on Netflix.

We'll see.

What night should I come over?

Any time you want if you live anywhere near the Ohio valley. But don't come for the movies, come for the music on my custom built 3,000 watt stereo that sounds better than any live concert you've been too!

Forum List

Back